Greasy Lake Community

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not no more!!!!! Since my last show in the spring of 2016, my thoughts of Bruce's works have been questionable. The Book, was probably very good, but found it to be very boring. I had read at lea

Or swavered?

Yes, I am really liking this album a lot and I find myself singing or humming the songs when I don't even know I'm doing it.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Not no more!!!!!

Since my last show in the spring of 2016, my thoughts of Bruce's works have been questionable. The Book, was probably very good, but found it to be very boring. I had read at least two other book before his own with just about the same info. I didn't get though it!. Broadway, was excited about it at first, then seen the ticket prices, and availability of tickets. No way for me. Heard all the great reviews here and said OK I'll try for some tickets. Was never successful, and glad as after watching watch the film, I thought if I would have spent the money to fly to NYC, hotel rent and the cost of the show it would have been the total end of my fandom. Found it very boring and almost embarrassing for Bruce sometimes. Western Stars, I thought Bruce was winking an eye at us. Like this maybe a joke. Tucson Train and Sleepy Joe's Cafe I find remotely good enough for my taste. 

Now after 4 listens and 2 watch's of Letter to You, I'm very emotional right now. And it was my wife and I 33rd anniversary yesterday. But this album has spoken to me. Yes me! The lyrics are spot on for me. Not one tune I can pass up, not one note I can over look. From start to finish brilliant. 

I'm back on the train. Now I'll try my best British accent.... Burnin "Bloddy Hell" Train! 

Happy Anniversary for yesterday.

I loved Westerned stars from the moment I heard it, this once has crept up on me, couple of tracks I wasn't sure about, but really like it now, hopefully we will day get to hear it live.

In my best British accent, it bloody brilliant, and the film is wonderful.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 2

I’m with you Jimmy, though I never found my fandom waning. I just thought he went through a patch of crappy output. He was bound to do it at some point in a 50 year career. I’m hoping this is the start of another upturn in his production.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Not no more!!!!!

Since my last show in the spring of 2016, my thoughts of Bruce's works have been questionable. The Book, was probably very good, but found it to be very boring. I had read at least two other book before his own with just about the same info. I didn't get though it!. Broadway, was excited about it at first, then seen the ticket prices, and availability of tickets. No way for me. Heard all the great reviews here and said OK I'll try for some tickets. Was never successful, and glad as after watching watch the film, I thought if I would have spent the money to fly to NYC, hotel rent and the cost of the show it would have been the total end of my fandom. Found it very boring and almost embarrassing for Bruce sometimes. Western Stars, I thought Bruce was winking an eye at us. Like this maybe a joke. Tucson Train and Sleepy Joe's Cafe I find remotely good enough for my taste. 

Now after 4 listens and 2 watch's of Letter to You, I'm very emotional right now. And it was my wife and I 33rd anniversary yesterday. But this album has spoken to me. Yes me! The lyrics are spot on for me. Not one tune I can pass up, not one note I can over look. From start to finish brilliant. 

I'm back on the train. Now I'll try my best British accent.... Burnin "Bloddy Hell" Train! 

Jimmy i was just thinking about you this morning hoping you loved this record

Im so glad you love this album

As much as i love western stars (the live version) I feel so much happier listening to this album, western stars without the live orchestra made me want to lie on a railway track :lol:

I too have had a test of faith but ive buried it now 

I don't know what it was about SOB especially after loving the 2016 river tour soooooo much, it just didn't click with me the way i so baddly wanted it to but watching that doco on apple tv it was so great ! 

Is the band the deal breaker for us ? (But i love acoustic Bruce)

I do hope @Jertucky and @BrilliantDisguise are happy too

Congradulations on 33 years of married bliss 

Well done to the both of you 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

I’m with you Jimmy, though I never found my fandom waning. I just thought he went through a patch of crappy output. He was bound to do it at some point in a 50 year career. I’m hoping this is the start of another upturn in his production.

:)

5 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Jimmy i was just thinking about you this morning hoping you loved this record

Im so glad you love this album

As much as i love western stars (the live version) I feel so much happier listening to this album, western stars without the live orchestra made me want to lie on a railway track :lol:

I too have had a test of faith but ive buried it now 

I don't know what it was about SOB especially after loving the 2016 river tour soooooo much, it just didn't click with me the way i so baddly wanted it to but watching that doco on apple tv it was so great ! 

Is the band the deal breaker for us ? (But i love acoustic Bruce)

I do hope @Jertucky and @BrilliantDisguise are happy too

Congradulations on 33 years of married bliss 

Well done to the both of you 

Yes, I am really liking this album a lot and I find myself singing or humming the songs when I don't even know I'm doing it.

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 2
6 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

Me too :D

That has to be a good sign 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Not no more!!!!!

Happy 33rd, JJ and Moma :)

But you need to practice your bloody British accent a bit more, me old china.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You know what, I'm going to go back and give the Book, Broadway and Western Stars another read, watch and listen, just maybe all is different now. I'm a very happy man right now, if you can't tell. 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 2
19 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

You know what, I'm going to go back and give the Book, Broadway and Western Stars another read, watch and listen, just maybe all is different now. I'm a very happy man right now, if you can't tell. 

Don’t get carried away now. Don’t let the stink of Western Stars ruin your enjoyment of Letter to You.

• Haha 3

I had zero expectations for this album, if I’m honest - especially once I heard about the older songs being included. Never been so glad to be wrong. 

I keep thinking to myself how the heck Rolling Stone only gave Letter to You 4 stars??

• Bruuuuce! 3
  • 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Karembu said:

A masterpiece of an album worth the 6 year wait since the fabulous High Hopes.  Along with Magic and the Rising, that makes 4 brilliant post-Reunion albums that stand fair comparison with anything outside of BTR and Darkness

Did you mean to leave Wrecking Ball off? That would make 5 for me. 

10 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I did as I really dislike the Celtic flourishes and bells and whistles (figuratively and literally ha).  Never listen to it though it still has 4 very good cuts: LOHAD, Jack of All Trades, Wrecking Ball and WTCOOO.

Oddly though, though I don’t like WB the album, the tour was incredible.  Loved the horns and E St Choir.  WOAD was the same, whilst I love The Wrestler, Kingdom of Days and My Lucky Day, the rest of the album was dull as dishwater.  But again, the tour was brilliant (best tour of the Reunion era for me, though  I exclude the last US leg of the non River, River 2016 tour as the last 10 or so shows in isolation would beat most pre reunion shows to be fair!  But it was just the last leg).

• Like 2
On 10/26/2020 at 3:34 PM, Jimmy James said:

Hi Jimmy. I was fairly underwhelmed by Western Stars too, I didn’t hate it but wasn’t blown away by it. I then bought the updated version with the orchestra and it completely changed the album for me. I still listen to it often. 

2 minutes ago, dublinpaul said:

Hi Jimmy. I was fairly underwhelmed by Western Stars too, I didn’t hate it but wasn’t blown away by it. I then bought the updated version with the orchestra and it completely changed the album for me. I still listen to it often. 

Are you talking about the "Film Version"? If so, I did find the film version of the album a bit better. I think it was because Bruce signing and playing to us, that said this isn't a joke to me. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Karembu said:

I did as I really dislike the Celtic flourishes and bells and whistles (figuratively and literally ha).  Never listen to it though it still has 4 very good cuts: LOHAD, Jack of All Trades, Wrecking Ball and WTCOOO.

Oddly though, though I don’t like WB the album, the tour was incredible.  Loved the horns and E St Choir.  WOAD was the same, whilst I love The Wrestler, Kingdom of Days and My Lucky Day, the rest of the album was dull as dishwater.  But again, the tour was brilliant (best tour of the Reunion era for me, though  I exclude the last US leg of the non River, River 2016 tour as the last 10 or so shows in isolation would beat most pre reunion shows to be fair!  But it was just the last leg).

It's great to differ, as I love the Celtic sound of Death To My Hometown and Shackled and Drawn, much more than the tunes you listed. Except WTCOOO. On WOAD album I really only care for two tunes. My Lucky Day and This Life. 

Truthfully 'due to circumstances' I had only listened to a couple of the tracks till Wednesday when I needed to go for a long walk and not listen to political podcasts as I have for months. So I did as a certain drummer suggested and listened to it through as a story. I loved it. My fandom has never gone away and I have enjoyed each recent album in their own way but there have been plenty of times where my focus has been very much on other things. But when I needed his voice in my head on Wednesday, Bruce delivered. This is definitely my favourite album in some time.

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1
3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I listened to it right through for the first time in ages in the week leading up to Letter for You - totally forgot how fantastic an album it was and how I’d forgotten some classic Springsteen songs that the archive releases haven’t shone a light on yet (e.g. You’ve Got It and Easy Money, two cool songs)

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
5 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Are you talking about the "Film Version"? If so, I did find the film version of the album a bit better. I think it was because Bruce signing and playing to us, that said this isn't a joke to me. 

Yes, it’s the film version. I think the extra orchestration transformed the songs completely. Each to their own. 

• Bruuuuce! 1
14 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

It's great to differ, as I love the Celtic sound of Death To My Hometown and Shackled and Drawn, much more than the tunes you listed. Except WTCOOO. On WOAD album I really only care for two tunes. My Lucky Day and This Life. 

My Lucky Day really is a bloody brilliant tune isn’t it.  Flat out rocks.  Being a big blues fan, A Night with the Jersey Devil is another track that I think is fantastic from the Magic/WOAD sessions.  Was gutted when it was dropped from special edition of the latter but have since picked up on iTunes as part of the “Spare Parts” odds and ends collection released digitally last year.

But what is great is being able to debate differences with new music from an artist of Bruce’s vintage.  Neil Young will forever be one of my favourite artists but outside of his archive programme, he has not released an album of new music that comes close to Magic or LTY since Sleeps with Angels in 1994.  That was 27 years ago nearly - when I was in bloody high school lol. 

Tom Petty likewise.  Another all time great and have everything up to Echo in 1999.  After that I have downloaded a few odd tracks from albums but his last great record from top to tail was Echo in my opinion.

So as much as I don’t like Seeger Sessions, Western Stars etc, to have 4 or 5 great modern albums to listen to is really quite special I think.

• Like 2

I’m thrilled LTY is receiving such widespread appreciation especially on this forum . It’s a real gem of an album . I’m part of the WS fan club and with LTY is an outstanding standard of output for someone into his 6th decade of music . For me the last two records are far and away the best of post reunion era . Several very average albums with only a sprinkling of great songs . I’m relieved too .

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Karembu said:

Neil Young will forever be one of my favourite artists but outside of his archive programme, he has not released an album of new music that comes close to Magic or LTY since Sleeps with Angels in 1994.  That was 27 years ago nearly - when I was in bloody high school lol. 

Psychedelic Pill was fabulous . 

• Like 1