Greasy Lake Community

On 11/6/2020 at 8:47 PM, Thunder Roadie said:

Psychedelic Pill was fabulous . 

Yeah, really wanted to love that and hoped it would be a return to former glories but whilst there are some great tracks on it (Ramada Inn and Walk like a Giant to name a couple, even though it goes on far too long in my view) I just felt it was a case of trying too hard so hard it veered into pastiche.  A case of Neil Young and Crazy Horse by numbers, a bit how I feel about Wrecking Ball and WOAD.

Was still gutted when Frank Sampedro broke his hand though as I had tickets for the cancelled show at the 02.  Just wish they had buzzed Nils as they only had about 7 shows left IIRC...

I am enjoying his archive releases though.  Dreamin’ Man live was great and think Neil pulls off the acoustic troubadour act much more convincingly and melodically than Bruce. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not no more!!!!! Since my last show in the spring of 2016, my thoughts of Bruce's works have been questionable. The Book, was probably very good, but found it to be very boring. I had read at lea

Or swavered?

Yes, I am really liking this album a lot and I find myself singing or humming the songs when I don't even know I'm doing it.

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2020 at 4:50 PM, Thunder Roadie said:

NY and crazy horse going on too long ..... impossible!!!:D

Well, I consider Weld to be one of the all time great live recordings and there are certainly some great extended tracks on that.  Like a Hurricane must be 14mins long but never outstays it’s welcome so can’t disagree as a general principle...

On 10/25/2020 at 3:07 PM, Jimmy James said:

Not no more!!!!!

Since my last show in the spring of 2016, my thoughts of Bruce's works have been questionable. The Book, was probably very good, but found it to be very boring. I had read at least two other book before his own with just about the same info. I didn't get though it!. Broadway, was excited about it at first, then seen the ticket prices, and availability of tickets. No way for me. Heard all the great reviews here and said OK I'll try for some tickets. Was never successful, and glad as after watching watch the film, I thought if I would have spent the money to fly to NYC, hotel rent and the cost of the show it would have been the total end of my fandom. Found it very boring and almost embarrassing for Bruce sometimes. Western Stars, I thought Bruce was winking an eye at us. Like this maybe a joke. Tucson Train and Sleepy Joe's Cafe I find remotely good enough for my taste. 

Now after 4 listens and 2 watch's of Letter to You, I'm very emotional right now. And it was my wife and I 33rd anniversary yesterday. But this album has spoken to me. Yes me! The lyrics are spot on for me. Not one tune I can pass up, not one note I can over look. From start to finish brilliant. 

I'm back on the train. Now I'll try my best British accent.... Burnin "Bloddy Hell" Train! 

I just read this thread for the first time. 

You and I disagree about a lot of things, but when it comes to Bruce, we share the exact same opinion. I agree 100% with everything you wrote, including Western Stars, Broadway, and even Shackled and Drawn and Death to my Hometown. My own fandom was wavering as well but I’m back on the train after listening to Letter to You.  

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1
9 hours ago, judyg said:

You and I disagree about a lot of things, but when it comes to Bruce, we share the exact same opinion. I agree 100% with everything you wrote, including Western Stars, Broadway, and even Shackled and Drawn and Death to my Hometown. My own fandom was wavering as well but I’m back on the train after listening to Letter to You.  

did you get to SOB Judy ?

i felt so sad for Americans who couldn't make it for whatever reason

i just felt so unconnected by it, we couldn't even have SLV 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I got tickets the very first day they went on sale, but life got in the way and I couldn't go to the show that date.  After that, I was never able to get another ticket through the website and I did not want to pay a ridiculous sum to buy them on the secondary market. So no, I did not end up going.  After seeing the film, I'm fine with not having gone. I liked the film and found it very touching in parts, but I think I would have been antsy and fidgety sitting through it. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2020 at 1:52 PM, Jimmy James said:

can " I'll See You In My Dreams" be put on the it's ok for grown men can cry list?

Well Jon Landau would surely agree given his visible emotion in the film sitting at the deck listening to it.

Didn't mind the film but for me it would have been much much better served had it featured less (IE: all of the) faux promo videos and showed more in studio banter/ song creation.

On 12/4/2020 at 2:23 PM, Jimmy James said:

See between the Greensboro show, Letter To You Album, and the new release of Hammersmith show. This is why I'm back! 

Rock n Roll Baby!

There has always been and will always be something for everyone in Bruce Land. Don't you go forgetting it again! :lol:

Even in this crazy time of despair it is still somehow such a good time to be a Springsteen fan.

On 10/25/2020 at 12:07 PM, Jimmy James said:

Not no more!!!!!

Since my last show in the spring of 2016, my thoughts of Bruce's works have been questionable. The Book, was probably very good, but found it to be very boring. I had read at least two other book before his own with just about the same info. I didn't get though it!. Broadway, was excited about it at first, then seen the ticket prices, and availability of tickets. No way for me. Heard all the great reviews here and said OK I'll try for some tickets. Was never successful, and glad as after watching watch the film, I thought if I would have spent the money to fly to NYC, hotel rent and the cost of the show it would have been the total end of my fandom. Found it very boring and almost embarrassing for Bruce sometimes. Western Stars, I thought Bruce was winking an eye at us. Like this maybe a joke. Tucson Train and Sleepy Joe's Cafe I find remotely good enough for my taste. 

Now after 4 listens and 2 watch's of Letter to You, I'm very emotional right now. And it was my wife and I 33rd anniversary yesterday. But this album has spoken to me. Yes me! The lyrics are spot on for me. Not one tune I can pass up, not one note I can over look. From start to finish brilliant. 

I'm back on the train. Now I'll try my best British accent.... Burnin "Bloddy Hell" Train! 

When Bruce did the Broadway shows, charging SO much for a ticket to his fans to come and see him,

that was the lowest point of his career for me (and still is), and I definitely lost some interest then, to put it mildly.

(The book sucked too, once Landau enters the picture - the earliest days made good reading - though his audiobook was horrible, read in monotone [glad I did not pay for that], and then you had these outrageous, further exploitative prices of fans for the autographed books on that pathetic "book tour" - those were a couple of bad years for me as a Bruce fan [or temporarily ex-one, whatever, it certainly tested my fandom]. I liked Western Stars briefly then lost interest. I like the new albums sans a couple songs. It's a nice return back for him. So I can relate to a good deal of this.

• Like 1
On 11/16/2020 at 3:03 PM, judyg said:

Good point, yeah who was he to sing Shackled and Drawn? About how he hates bankers? They LOVE him! And the poor getting poorer etc? Come ON!

Ironically I loved that tour. Not that song, but....

Anyway I can't listen to that album anymore.

(the worst for me on it was Jack Of All Trades - gimme a fucking BREAK. With words and image as real as any politician's [I am of NO party; they're all liars, all corrupted])

On 11/17/2020 at 12:37 AM, Daisey Jeep said:

I would not feel sorry for people who didn't have "the HONOR" of going and paying 750, 850 bucks to worship at his feet. Unless you felt sorry for economic reasons (and non-"Bruce" ones).

I wish I had that MONEY though, where I might have been so out of touch with the reality of most people that it might not have disgusted me as much.

Anyway don't feel bad, you got to see his last show ever with the E Street Band.

• Sad 1
29 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

Good point, yeah who was he to sing Shackled and Drawn? About how he hates bankers? They LOVE him! And the poor getting poorer etc? Come ON!

(the worst for me on it was Jack Of All Trades - gimme a fucking BREAK. With words and image as real as any politician's [I am of NO party; they're all liars, all corrupted])

No, I wasn't bothered by the content of any of it, just the music. Bruce can sing about anything at all that interests him...I just wish he would do it with the E Street Band and not acoustic or with strings.  

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

The concept of empathy is pretty basic. People who have it can connect with the experiences and feelings of others. It's a useful quality. It lets artists step into the shoes of people without a voice and write about what's going on. While most of his contemporaries are continuing their charade singing about banging chicks and binging coke, or not doing anything at all, or dead, it is pretty significant that he still cares about what nobodies like me are dealing with, which he always has.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

I would not feel sorry for people who didn't have "the HONOR" of going and paying 750, 850 bucks to worship at his feet. Unless you felt sorry for economic reasons (and non-"Bruce" ones).

I wish I had that MONEY though, where I might have been so out of touch with the reality of most people that it might not have disgusted me as much.

Anyway don't feel bad, you got to see his last show ever with the E Street Band.

it wasn't the last show ever, he said at the time right from the stage that they will be back

im not sure if its on the nugs download but he definatly said it

We (we as in the band - not i as in just Bruce) will be back 

• 2 months later...

My fandom is wavering big time because of the car advertisement. I find the whole thing just plain ridiculous and such a cheap thing to do. There's no way I could ever justify it. It's not the first time Bruce has made a career move I'm not happy about but now he has certainly crossed a line he should've never crossed. In my books, no self-respecting artist who wants to be taken seriously agrees to polish a commercial brand other than their own. So, I don't think I can respect Bruce as an artist anymore. I never thought this day would ever come so this is a lot to take in. Obviously, I still love the guy's music tremendously so I have mixed feelings. I have no idea what will happen to my fandom in the long run.

Anyone else's fandom wavering at the moment? 

• Like 1

To be honest the Jeep add threw me for about half an hour - maybe a couple of hours but the more i thought about it, the more i watched the add, the more i listened to the words i trully realised it was two great loves coning together 

As for what happened next, or rather what happened in  November, well my fandom has never been stronger

Im not going to abandon my fandom now because of one unfortunate, no doubt regrettable incident

Hell! i might even give the banjo record another spin ! 

Im not going to turn my back on my hero because he's fallible, just like the rest of us 

I wouldn't mind if he did a straightforward honest car ad that was about cars, after all they feature a lot in his oeuvre.
That would be fine by me.
But I dislike Bruce when he's in sanctimonious or preachy mode, and this "ad" was all preachy Bruce and his personal opinions.
We get enough of that sort of thing from Bono, so I wish he'd desist.  Both of them.

My fandom has wavered more times than Mary's dress over the past 45+ years - yet I'm still listening to his music and wishing him well.

• Like 5
35 minutes ago, Rizla said:

I wouldn't mind if he did a straightforward honest car ad that was about cars, after all they feature a lot in his oeuvre.
That would be fine by me.
But I dislike Bruce when he's in sanctimonious or preachy mode, and this "ad" was all preachy Bruce and his personal opinions.
We get enough of that sort of thing from Bono, so I wish he'd desist.  Both of them.

This always makes me chuckle.

bobo.jpg

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Rizla said:

There you go. The thing I don't like about the sanctimonious, elder statesman thing is it's supposed to make the pitchman thing seem more acceptable. "See, I'm saying good, sensible things while I'm getting paid to hawk a product."

It's all about the music as far as I am concerned.

Never in my near 40 years as a Springsteen fan have I ever been even remotely interested in Bruce the person, what he believes in, what party or candidate for president  he supports in elections, how he dyes his hair, what commercials he does....anything. I am a fan because I love his songs and his albums. I also love going to see him in concert. I couldn't care if the guy had two heads to be honest as long as he kept making great music. I have disagreed with a few of things he has done in his career, but that has usually been to do with musical decisions. To be honest, I thought he was a bit of an arse to cancel a sold-out show a few years ago because he didn't agree with one of the laws of that state. It didn't make me be any less of a fan though, not one little bit.

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

It's all about the music as far as I am concerned.

Never in my near 40 years as a Springsteen fan have I ever been even remotely interested in Bruce the person, what he believes in, what party or candidate for president  he supports in elections, how he dyes his hair, what commercials he does....anything. I am a fan because I love his songs and his albums. I also love going to see him in concert. I couldn't care if the guy had two heads to be honest as long as he kept making great music. I have disagreed with a few of things he has done in his career, but that has usually been to do with musical decisions. To be honest, I thought he was a bit of an arse to cancel a sold-out show a few years ago because he didn't agree with one of the laws of that state. It didn't make me be any less of a fan though, not one little bit.

Two heads are better than one 

• Like 1