Greasy Lake Community

Burnin’ train

I went for a run this morning and listened to letter to you in full and it’s just such a joy, I love it!

i then put my playlist on shuffle and Burnin train came on near the end of my run. I can confirm that it is a cracking song to get you through the last part of your workout. 

interestingly gypsy biker came on after it and they both seemed to work well together.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Rizla said:

I love this one. 

I'm listening to them all again as I put them on the laptop ... and then to my walkman (hopefully, if I remember how).

Better this time round ... it doesn't half roll along at a great tempo. Must be the visuals I'm getting with 'Burnin' Train. My fire phobia kicking in.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 9:57 PM, doesthisbusstop said:

Must have played it 5 or 6 times today.  The breakneck pace of it, the intensity, it truly has got show opener written all over it with that intro build. Ghosts would work better later in the set I reckon, probably straight after Priest as per the album. 

The minute I heard this song I imagined the shows opening with that fantastic intro played longer as the band take their places and build the song through Max's drums.

Those bells!!! I can dream.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

9 hours ago, FRANKC73 said:

Also I think he said in an interview that upon hearing 'Series of Dreams' from the 91 Dylan boxset, it sparked him to write the Lucky Town record.

I mentioned this is another topic. I recall Bruce talking about the song Living Proof specifically. I don't hear Series of Dreams there, but I do in Burning Train. It's the drum beat and the c into g chord change. Of course Series of Dreams builds on the Then He Kissed Me riff, and echoes of that can also be heard.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

An Excerpt From Bruce Springsteen And The Promise Of Rock ‘n’ Roll.....

….By the fall of 1991, Bruce Springsteen had been sitting on the pieces of his ninth studio album for almost a year and a half. “I still felt I needed another song,” he later recalled of this period, a thesis statement to sum up the album. Some reports suggest that the release of Bob Dylan’s Bootleg Series, Volumes 1–3 in late March of 1991, particularly the set’s final track, “Series of Dreams,” had pushed Springsteen even further to come up with a grand summing-up for this album. According to Springsteen, the song that eventually gave him the summation he sought was “Living Proof,” which captured, in his words, “the common strength it takes to constitute a family.” After that song, at least nine other songs came pouring out of him, nine songs that he claims were written and recorded in just three weeks, during the fall of 1991.

The question was: why then? If the catalyst for Springsteen’s compositional breakthrough had been solely Evan’s birth, then he could have written all these songs before the Christic shows. If the catalyst had been solely the inspiring example of Dylan, he could have written them even before his wedding.

• Like 1