Greasy Lake Community

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love this song, can't wait to see it live!   Would make a great show opener! 

You can taketh from this what you will  I've read the words a few times and have concluded it's a love letter to Patti.  The album is a letter to various people, not just his fans or his old band memb

It’s a belter, as I said in another thread, a perfect show opener. And that high pitch guitar sound, just incredible. Has to be played at full volume. 

10 hours ago, FRANKC73 said:

An Excerpt From Bruce Springsteen And The Promise Of Rock ‘n’ Roll.....

….By the fall of 1991, Bruce Springsteen had been sitting on the pieces of his ninth studio album for almost a year and a half. “I still felt I needed another song,” he later recalled of this period, a thesis statement to sum up the album. Some reports suggest that the release of Bob Dylan’s Bootleg Series, Volumes 1–3 in late March of 1991, particularly the set’s final track, “Series of Dreams,” had pushed Springsteen even further to come up with a grand summing-up for this album. According to Springsteen, the song that eventually gave him the summation he sought was “Living Proof,” which captured, in his words, “the common strength it takes to constitute a family.” After that song, at least nine other songs came pouring out of him, nine songs that he claims were written and recorded in just three weeks, during the fall of 1991.

The question was: why then? If the catalyst for Springsteen’s compositional breakthrough had been solely Evan’s birth, then he could have written all these songs before the Christic shows. If the catalyst had been solely the inspiring example of Dylan, he could have written them even before his wedding.

That's one of the most enjoyable books ive read 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Ian Price said:

I'm beginning to think I may be a simpleton, but this is another Bruce song where I do not understand the meaning of his words.  This is becoming incraesingly common (for me).  What is this 'burnin' train' of which he speaketh?

You can taketh from this what you will :P I've read the words a few times and have concluded it's a love letter to Patti.  The album is a letter to various people, not just his fans or his old band members (this is MY opinion - don't @ me!). He's saying they've both been around a time or two (same as Tougher Than The Rest)  but they've risen above everything together.  'Cain' I see as his depression. 'Burnin' train' I'll leave to your imagination ;)

Here endeth today's lesson.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

Bruce plays the solo 

I’m not sure if Nils plays anything other than acoustic all the way through this album does he? 

I read an interview in which Neils wondered (or was it the documentary?) where in that hypothetical ‘Letter to you’ tour ‘Burnin’ train’ would take / would have taken place, as if it was his big moment live. This seems to indicate he plays with on the track.

38 minutes ago, Frank said:

I read an interview in which Neils wondered (or was it the documentary?) where in that hypothetical ‘Letter to you’ tour ‘Burnin’ train’ would take / would have taken place, as if it was his big moment live. This seems to indicate he plays with on the track.

I remember him saying he already had a thought about where it would sit in the set. 

I wonder if keeping Nils away from his very distinctive, trademark solos was a deliberate decision to deliver the “classic”  E Street sound?

• Like 3
On 10/28/2020 at 11:08 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

That's one of the most enjoyable books ive read 

I'm pretty sure I actually won a copy of the book in a contest right here back in the day. Had a different screen name then, which I've long since forgotten.

• Bruuuuce! 1
4 hours ago, Ian Price said:

I'm beginning to think I may be a simpleton, but this is another Bruce song where I do not understand the meaning of his words.  This is becoming incraesingly common (for me).  What is this 'burnin' train' of which he speaketh?

It's a metaphor for passionate love with a woman...in Bruce's case hopefully with Patti !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Bruce plays the solo 

I’m not sure if Nils plays anything other than acoustic all the way through this album does he? 

Definitely Bruce.  Nils plays pedal steel guitar on Orphans though and the outro solo on Priest is Steve with his equally distinctive style.

Bloody brilliant song though to get back to Burnin’ Train.  Best of the newly written tracks for me.

5 minutes ago, Karembu said:

Definitely Bruce.  Nils plays pedal steel guitar on Orphans though and the outro solo on Priest is Steve with his equally distinctive style.

Bloody brilliant song though to get back to Burnin’ Train.  Best of the newly written tracks for me.

Yeah. Liked it straight away but it’s grown even more on me since release.

8 hours ago, Ian Price said:

Well, I've always been a kind of "lyric nerd", so I never thought I would have written this but: I think LTY is fore and foremost a "sonic pleasure". Many of the songs were written quickly (according to Bruce himself), so I wouldn't spend too much time analyzing them. That being said, I think Burnin' Train is Bruce toying again with Dylan's Series of Dreams. We know that that song gave birth to Living Proof - and indirectly to the rest of the Lucky Town album. And in this respect I see Burnin' Train as a sort of older and darker Leap of faith. So, love, sex plus religious imagery. But as for Series of dreams, I would not try to find a precise or clear meaning. One can imagine that with this song Bruce wanted to pay tribute to a different Bob Dylan than the one who "inspired" his early material. Again, I wouldn't search direct lyrical inspiration but the first line of Burnin' Train smells of A Hard rain's a-gonna Fall ( where black is the color, and none is the number). But most of all, I think it album playing a great rock tracking without giving it too much thinking. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
7 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

I remember him saying he already had a thought about where it would sit in the set. 

I wonder if keeping Nils away from his very distinctive, trademark solos was a deliberate decision to deliver the “classic”  E Street sound?

It might well be as you say. Bruce might have wanted his classic telecaster sounding solo.

On a side note, Bruce’s vocals on the song are stellar. If it weren’t for the video, I would not have believed it was a live in the studio performance. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Burnin’ Train will be the first live in concert song played by Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band in any 2021/22 tour. I’m absolutely convinced of it. 

I think it would be a great choice, and it would work perfectly. However, I think the keep it standard, and they’ll open with LTY (or Ghosts); that is, title track or the leading single, as it has usually been the case throughout Bruce’s career.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Frank said:

I think it would be a great choice, and it would work perfectly. However, I think the keep it standard, and they’ll open with LTY (or Ghosts); that is, title track or the leading single, as it has usually been the case throughout Bruce’s career.

Maybe, but tours used to start very soon after album release as part of its promotion. By the time the next tour starts, this album will be more than a year old so I just think Burnin’ Train will be his choice of opener. 

1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Maybe, but tours used to start very soon after album release as part of its promotion. By the time the next tour starts, this album will be more than a year old so I just think Burnin’ Train will be his choice of opener. 

You make a good point about the tour being delated. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 12:14 AM, Stranger in town said:

Cant say I’ve got as far as deciphering any messages in the words.

That thudding drum sound and screeching guitar, makes me lose my thread and transport me back to the raucous East Street sound of yesteryear.

Where is this "East Street" of which you speak?