Greasy Lake Community

2 hours ago, Magnus said:

My ideal setlist for the next ESB tour would be something like this:

6 songs from Letter To You

3 songs from Western Stars

2-4 studio outtakes from the '75-'84 era that haven't been played live much or at all yet. (Stuff from The Promise, the new outtakes from the River box set, etc.)

A nightly full band Bob Dylan cover

One other cover.

So that's 13-15 songs.

Now, are we getting closer to 20 or 30 songs? (Or more than 30)? Who knows?

At any rate, the remainder of the set would be AT LEAST half songs from the 21st Century. The rest would be the obligatory ESB live staples and '70s-'80s album tracks. Make sure to include BTR every night - all the other staples are essentially optional. 

Throw in a sprinkling of '87-'95 songs to flavor.

You'd end up with a setlist that does service to his two recent (and thoroughly excellent albums), includes some neglected material both more recent and older/obscure, and doesn't rely too heavily on the predictable ESB material; but still has plenty of upbeat music to suit the band. 

Can one of those covers be Rhinestone cowboy 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like most of us I have been loving the new album and can't wait for a tour and things to go back to "normal". I thought it would be fun to make a setlist of the first gig back. Anyone got any ideas or

They'll be in everybody's show, don't you worry.

This album will keep until an ESB tour can start. It might be a year or two old, but not exactly River 2016. I can see maybe a box set or Tracks 2 adding to the choice of material to tour behind thoug

Posted Images

My fantasy set list, for the first show back would be.....

Burnin’ Train

Better Days

Where The Bands Are

Ghosts

Save My Love

Last Man Standing

Darkness...

You’re Missing

LOHAD

If I Was The Priest

NYC Seranade (with string section)

There Goes My Miracle (with strings)

Tuscon Train (with strings)

Sleepy Joes Cafe

Rosalita 

Song for Orphans

Promised Land

How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times

Rainmaker

Badlands

Born To Run

I’ll See You In My Dreams

—— Encores———

My Beautiful Reward

Thunder Road (full band)

Cadillac Ranch

Glory Days

Devil With A Blue Dress

Rock and Roll Will Never Die (Danny & The Juniors Cover)

Blood Brothers (solo acoustic)

I tried to make the set list heavy on songs that fit the theme of the latest album (friendship, loss, redemption and the power of rock n roll) as well as feature songs from both LTY and Western Stars. I know it’ll never happen, but hey it’s fun wishing!

• Like 3
12 hours ago, walk like brando said:

I know it’ll never happen

That's right. Replacing a few of the songs in your list by Darlington County, Working On The Highway, Dancing In the Dark, Hungry Heart, The Rising and Sunny Day comes closer to reality.:) Setlists will probably be somewhat shorter too (but that was also said in 2016...:lol:).

But my 'like' for your post was for the thematic approach, including Where The Bands Are, Blood Brothers, My Beautiful Reward; despite all the talk-wishes about the encore needing a shake-up, the encore stalwarts of Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out and the much-maligned Bobby Jean would perfectly fit in that, too. And/or, if you want an obscure song, Brothers Under The Bridges 1983. (That is, an obscure song in the context of the setlist; not an obscure song from the 'sign request section').

8 hours ago, Lampi said:

That's right. Replacing a few of the songs in your list by Darlington County, Working On The Highway, Dancing In the Dark, Hungry Heart, The Rising and Sunny Day comes closer to reality.:) Setlists will probably be somewhat shorter too (but that was also said in 2016...:lol:).

But my 'like' for your post was for the thematic approach, including Where The Bands Are, Blood Brothers, My Beautiful Reward; despite all the talk-wishes about the encore needing a shake-up, the encore stalwarts of Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out and the much-maligned Bobby Jean would perfectly fit in that, too. And/or, if you want an obscure song, Brothers Under The Bridges 1983. (That is, an obscure song in the context of the setlist; not an obscure song from the 'sign request section').

You’re right of course.... but my mind always go back to the ToL tour, where Bruce felt the need to ditch a lot of the stalwarts that he’d built shows around for years (Badlands, Prove it all Night, etc) and bring in some lesser played tunes that perfectly fitted the theme of the show he was trying to convey (Adam raised a cain, Roulette, Be True). That was such a great tour! Particularly the encores that were pure rock n roll and soul..... that was the thoughts behind my list.

As always though, SO many great songs to choose from, it’s inevitable that some would be left out...... loving the idea of Brothers under the Bridges, that’s a great shout

• Like 1

I love all these setlist if a tour would start tomorrow.(But no WS songs or maybe just two, TT and RC) But in all reality this album will be old news by the time the next tour starts. At least another album/boxset with new material will be out before than. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I love all these setlist if a tour would start tomorrow.(But no WS songs or maybe just two, TT and RC) But in all reality this album will be old news by the time the next tour starts. At least another album/boxset with new material will be out before than. 

This album will keep until an ESB tour can start. It might be a year or two old, but not exactly River 2016. I can see maybe a box set or Tracks 2 adding to the choice of material to tour behind though which could make for the most varied and interesting set lists the band has ever played. 

• Like 4
On 10/29/2020 at 11:48 AM, doesthisbusstop said:

This album will keep until an ESB tour can start. It might be a year or two old, but not exactly River 2016. I can see maybe a box set or Tracks 2 adding to the choice of material to tour behind though which could make for the most varied and interesting set lists the band has ever played. 

For sure. I find it highly unlikely that a tour will happen next year, but hopefully in 2022. I hope the Letter to You songs get played regularly but at this point his catalogue is so big so who knows. I do think WS will be ignored for the most part.

I'm probably in the minority here, but would love to hear more "less or never played" songs on the new tour - especially looking for Rockaway the Days (Tracks). Plus of course most of these most recent two albums. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, fadeaway said:

I'm probably in the minority here, but would love to hear more "less or never played" songs on the new tour - especially looking for Rockaway the Days (Tracks). Plus of course most of these most recent two albums. 

Me too - so many songs I've never heard live.  But the more new material that comes out, the less likely my chances of ever hearing them.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Me too - so many songs I've never heard live.  But the more new material that comes out, the less likely my chances of ever hearing them.

I predict Working on the Highway and Darlington County for your show.:P

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

I had a lot of time over the weekend. I'll have a go! 

1. Burnin Train 

2. Ghost

3. No Surrender 

4. The Ties That Bind

5. Death To My Hometown

6. Last To Die

7. Last Man Standing

8. Where The Band Are

9. House of Thousand Guitars 

10. Radio Nowhere

11. Prove It All Night

12. If I Was The Priest 

13. It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City

14. Streets of Fire

15. Janey Needs a Shooter 

16. Murder Inc

17. Letter to You

18. The River

19. My Love Will Not Let You Down 

20. Roulette 

21. Badlands

Encores

1. One Minute You're Here

2. The Wall 

3. Born In The USA

4. Born To Run

5. Dancin in the Dark

6. Rosalita 

7. I'll See You In My Dreams

• Like 3

Limited myself to 25 songs because otherwise it'd be his longest show ever haha. Also kept Sunny Day and Rising in because they made sense thematically and are setlist staples, though they wouldn't necessarily make up my dream set.

1. Badlands

2. Ghosts

3. Out in the Street

4. Rosalita

5. Seaside Bar Song

6. It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City

7. Cover Me

8. Trapped

9. Lost in the Flood

10. Last Man Standing

11. The Power of Prayer

12. House of 1000 Guitars

13. No Surrender

14. Human Touch

15. Loose Ends

16. Ain't Good Enough For You

17. Drive All Night

18. Sunny Day (with no kid!)

19. Leap of Faith

20. The Rising

21. Thunder Road

22. I'll See You in My Dreams

23. Backstreets

24. Born to Run

25. Sherry Darling

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, sleepyjoe said:

Also kept Sunny Day and Rising

Both need a rest! 

Liked your list, I forgot to get Power of Prayer in there. But I already had 9 from LTY, can't see how he would play more then that. Even though I think he should play the whole album, maybe not start to finish, but though-out the concert! 

• Love Love Love! 1

Agreed to a point. 

He can easily get away from Sunny Day, Hungry Heart and 10th. But Dancing In The Dark is part of the fabric of the show now, like Born to Run and even Badlands. Dancing with someone, that part may never be again. Along with the crowd surf and drinking others beer, that one is gross to begin with! 

Some good setlists there. I can definitely see at least 7 songs from Letter to you featuring. I would also like to see a couple at least from Western Stars...possibly Tucson Train and Hello Sunshine. From a selfish point of view I would like to see Independence Day and Drive all night played most nights as after 24 shows I have yet to hear either and they are two of my favourites from the River.

We are definitely going to see shorter shows from now on though. It will need to include songs his voice can still handle. My concern is that his voice is starting to go, and by the time they are able to tour probably in 2022, he will be 72 years old and in my view will struggle vocally with some of the hard rocking staples from his earlier career.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

The Sleepy Joe setlist rocks out in the 1-9 slots, would be a fantastic start.  I would then take an extended bathroom/beer run break.  Of course if you swapped in a couple of the 70s songs from LTY (Orphans, Priest?),and maybe go with Incident instead of Drive All Night....now that would be an incredible setlist.

• Like 1

My Dream Setlist (some of this may be controversial): 

1. Ghosts                                                         

2. Thundercrack                                              

3. Letter to You                                           

4. Long Walk Home                                     

5. You’re Missing                                            

6.  Downbound Train                                      

7. The River                                                   

8. Queen of the Supermarket

9. 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)

10. She’s the One