Greasy Lake Community

1 hour ago, Ian Price said:

At the risk of seeming stupid, or naive, what is a shooter?

I think it means someone to protect her. Love and protect her.

On BTX, there's three pages and one person thinks it's like a high roller, like so-and-so's a big shooter (has respect and power)

Another thinks straight shooter, and adds to protect her.

I always thought it just meant to protect her.

• Like 1
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great thread this and interesting discussions. Janey is probably my favourite song from the album together with Song for Orphans. It is the reason why I always go back to storyteller Bruce - especiall

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/22/925358745/what-bruce-springsteen-lost-and-found   Why did you record in the way that you did? In the studio where you're sitting now, I gather? We have th

People are being very over the top about a bloody song. Chill out 

Posted Images

I'm listening to it and now it's definitely about love and protection.

"Janey's got a doctor.... knows her heart only through his stethoscope...Janey turns him down like dope." It says it all right there. Bruce's character in the song knows her heart and what it needs like no fucking doctor will ever know.

• Sad 1
7 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

"Janey's got a doctor.... knows her heart only through his stethoscope...Janey turns him down like dope." It says it all right there. Bruce's character in the song knows her heart and what it needs like no fucking doctor will ever know.

He thinks he does. He's as messed up as the rest of them.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

Somebody earlier posed that maybe this is a narrator (stalker) saying what he sees, Janey turning down the doctor v. a normal relationship you have with a doctor.

It shows more so later.

"Well Janey's got a cop who lives around the block
And checks on her every night
And her skin would turn pale as the siren he'd wail outside
When he knew I was inside
Janey's small and sometimes he scared her
So I held her real close, she was more saint than a ghost
And told her I so long had been prepared for her" 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Rizla said:

We're only hearing it from the narrator's point of view.
She may be going to the doctor for normal reasons, but the narrator is jealous that the doctor can legitimately touch her body.
He's jealous of the priest because she confides in him.  And perhaps the priest is an attractive young man (see Thorn Birds, Fleabag ;))
Perhaps the cop has warned him off stalking Janey - maybe she reported him. 
The narrator is unstable.  He's convinced himself that everyone except him is out to harm Janey.  In fact he is the only one who is a danger to her.

That last verse sounds like he's got inside her home and has her where he wants her.   It's chilling.

He could've released it on Nebraska in an arrangement similar to Atlantic city.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Rizla said:

We're only hearing it from the narrator's point of view.
She may be going to the doctor for normal reasons, but the narrator is jealous that the doctor can legitimately touch her body.
He's jealous of the priest because she confides in him.  And perhaps the priest is an attractive young man (see Thorn Birds, Fleabag ;))
Perhaps the cop has warned him off stalking Janey - maybe she reported him. 
The narrator is unstable.  He's convinced himself that everyone except him is out to harm Janey.  In fact he is the only one who is a danger to her.

That last verse sounds like he's got inside her home and has her where he wants her.   It's chilling.

So interesting!

I had them all in her 'place of work'.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

I've said on another thread that it's the creepiest song he's ever written, but I really like it!

That's how i feel .... Lyrically its kind of icky .....But musically its so powerful ....Like '78 powerful .....and i would be looking forward to a classic 5 minute  E Street instrumental outro in concert !!!!!

• Like 5
  • Bruuuuce! 1
58 minutes ago, Rizla said:

I think it's absolutely horrible and I'll be skipping it - no, actually it won't even be making it in to my music library.

1 hour ago, Eileen said:

Hmmm, there's probably a reason I didn't pay much attention to this one back in the day. 

Better with the band behind him and I usually don't take too much notice of lyrics at this stage ... but these ones got my attention and I don't like them.

Another one on the skip list.

Am I missing something here? Can't it be both horrible (as in the lyrical theme) and great? I mean he's writing in character, right (about a horrible one)? Is there a difference compared to some of the horrible characters in some of the songs on Nebraska for example?
I guess what I'm trying to say is: Do you think the lyrics to Janey needs a shooter are bad because they are badly written or because of the horrible subject, and if the latter do you feel the same about for example the song Nebraska?

• Like 1

Yes to Nebraska. Can't abide it.

I said in another thread, or was it this one, that the music is great and therefore it made it on to my walkman. I'll disregard the words.

Some people find them 'unlikeable' some don't, some put up with them cos they like the music. It's all good. All opinions.

As has been said ... I find it creepy.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

Well hey, that's the way you belong to me
Well hey, that's the way you belong to me :lol::unsure:

It was Bruce's less publicized Creepy Phase

That was a 'creepy' that I liked. :)

2 hours ago, stillilllife said:

Am I missing something here? Can't it be both horrible (as in the lyrical theme) and great? I mean he's writing in character, right (about a horrible one)? Is there a difference compared to some of the horrible characters in some of the songs on Nebraska for example?
I guess what I'm trying to say is: Do you think the lyrics to Janey needs a shooter are bad because they are badly written or because of the horrible subject, and if the latter do you feel the same about for example the song Nebraska?

I've always maintained that any human situation can be depicted in art.  That's why I don't agree with the snowflakes who wail that songs like "Young Girl" shouldn't be written or performed today, when it's merely dramatising a common predicament that young men find themselves in.

So yes, I suppose it's OK to write about a creepy stalker.   But the lyrics in this song, particularly the first verse, are really unpleasant.  So I don't have to like it. 
Just as the Crucifixion has been depicted thousands of times, but some images are beautiful while others turn my stomach.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, zzcoolness said:

Somebody earlier posed that maybe this is a narrator (stalker) saying what he sees, Janey turning down the doctor v. a normal relationship you have with a doctor.

It shows more so later.

"Well Janey's got a cop who lives around the block
And checks on her every night
And her skin would turn pale as the siren he'd wail outside
When he knew I was inside
Janey's small and sometimes he scared her
So I held her real close, she was more saint than a ghost
And told her I so long had been prepared for her" 

A STALKER song?

That's depressing!

I barely was paying attention to the lyrics but since it was asked, and I was listening to it for about an hour straight, I heard those lines and found it a love song.

Wow what a drag.

Well I don't know.......

I guess I'll just stick to the music.

FUCK THIS.

ANALYZE something til you don't fucking LIKE IT anymore. It's just music, it's not the GODDAMN fucking messed up state of the world.

I'm gonna continue to just take it as a love song.

2 hours ago, Eileen said:

So interesting!

I had them all in her 'place of work'.

Aha!  No, I don't see Janey as a prostitute, if that's where you're going.   Just a Catholic girl who goes to church (and might fancy the priest a bit!).  Has to occasionally put up with unpleasant but necessary medical procedures, for instance smear test which all us women can relate to.  I can remember doctors doing those in the 1970s, although it's always a job for the practice nurse nowadays.

8 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

A STALKER song?

That's depressing!

I barely was paying attention to the lyrics but since it was asked, and I was listening to it for about an hour straight, I heard those lines and found it a love song.

Wow what a drag.

Well I don't know.......

FUCK THIS.

ANALYZE something til you don't fucking LIKE IT anymore. It's just music, it's not the GODDAMN fucking messed up state of the world.

:lol:

Calm down, dear.

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

A STALKER song?

That's depressing!

Wow what a drag.

Well I don't know.......

FUCK THIS.

As is your right, sc. Please don't get so angry about it all. Take care.x

14 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

A STALKER song?

That's depressing!

Wow what a drag.

Well I don't know.......

FUCK THIS.

Chill out, I never said I disliked the song, I was analyzing it from a different perspective.

20 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Aha!  No, I don't see Janey as a prostitute, if that's where you're going.   Just a Catholic girl who goes to church (and might fancy the priest a bit!).  Has to occasionally put up with unpleasant but necessary medical procedures, for instance smear test which all us women can relate to.  I can remember doctors doing those in the 1970s, although it's always a job for the practice nurse nowadays.

I personally love the song. I don’t think a particular strength of early Bruce lay in his handling or painting of female characters though.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Rizla said:

Interesting, I had always interpreted the song as Janey being a prostitute who is used/abused by all these authority figures, hence she needs a 'shooter' or protector, who our narrator with a saviour complex fanatasises about being.