Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Jesus_Wept.thumb.jpg.dc9ac8da5c623e3b64409e68e36bc0f4.jpg

A picture of Jesus being consoled after listening to Western Stars for the first time? I can feel his pain, but what does it have to do with Janey Needs a Shooter?

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great thread this and interesting discussions. Janey is probably my favourite song from the album together with Song for Orphans. It is the reason why I always go back to storyteller Bruce - especiall

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/22/925358745/what-bruce-springsteen-lost-and-found   Why did you record in the way that you did? In the studio where you're sitting now, I gather? We have th

People are being very over the top about a bloody song. Chill out 

Posted Images

Seems to be the lyrics "Janey's got a doctor who tears apart her insides" causes some consternation. I wouldn't treat it so literal if I were some on here.

It's just to conjour some image of turmoil kinda like "a freight train running through the middle of my head"

Now take his catholic upbringing none of us should be surprised a Priest turns up in yet another song.

His mind got working on lyrics and rhymes and he settled on a Doctor and a Cop to stretch the storyline

That some people listen/read the lyrics and conclude it reduces the character "Janey" to a subordinate role is the reader themselves making this leap not the songwriter. It could just as easily be read that this "Janey" is a very strong and capable character within this setting and it is the "observer" the songwriter/"oustider looking in" that is sorting things out in his head and his heart.

The lyrics when you think about it are terrific and ought not be dismissed so casually

  • Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jukeblue said:

Seems to be the lyrics "Janey's got a doctor who tears apart her insides" causes some consternation. I wouldn't treat it so literal if I were some on here.

It's just to conjour some image of turmoil kinda like "a freight train running through the middle of my head"

Now take his catholic upbringing none of us should be surprised a Priest turns up in yet another song.

His mind got working on lyrics and rhymes and he settled on a Doctor and a Cop to stretch the storyline

That some people listen/read the lyrics and conclude it reduces the character "Janey" to a subordinate role is the reader themselves making this leap not the songwriter. It could just as easily be read that this "Janey" is a very strong and capable character within this setting and it is the "observer" the songwriter/"oustider looking in" that is sorting things out in his head and his heart.

The lyrics when you think about it are terrific and ought not be dismissed so casually

Good post. I don’t get the consternation about the lyrics. It’s not like they’re excerpts from Bruce’s diary, just a story. I imagine many are also upset by the abusive father in Rosalita who lowers the boom and lock her in her room.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The deleted verse BELOW. seems to suggest Janey has some control of 'taking the mechanic to bed 'because she loved him. 

It also adds to the view that tHe narrator is not Janeys pick, as Janey stands by during his beating.

Of course conversely Janey may be standing by in fear of the mechanic... complex! 

Janey loved a mechanic who owned a gas station down on Route 9
Well she took him to bed and I beat my head on his gas tanks and bled all over his tires
And then he smashed my car with his big tow bar. I got out and asked him why
He said “Cause with her it’s either you or me, and it’s gonna be me”
And I watched Janey silently stand by

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jukeblue said:

Seems to be the lyrics "Janey's got a doctor who tears apart her insides" causes some consternation. I wouldn't treat it so literal if I were some on here.

It's just to conjour some image of turmoil kinda like "a freight train running through the middle of my head"

Now take his catholic upbringing none of us should be surprised a Priest turns up in yet another song.

His mind got working on lyrics and rhymes and he settled on a Doctor and a Cop to stretch the storyline

That some people listen/read the lyrics and conclude it reduces the character "Janey" to a subordinate role is the reader themselves making this leap not the songwriter. It could just as easily be read that this "Janey" is a very strong and capable character within this setting and it is the "observer" the songwriter/"oustider looking in" that is sorting things out in his head and his heart.

The lyrics when you think about it are terrific and ought not be dismissed so casually

Great - if you could just cite the lyrics that show Janey as a very strong and capable character within this setting, that'll get the discussion on to a solid footing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jertucky said:

Good post. I don’t get the consternation about the lyrics. It’s not like they’re excerpts from Bruce’s diary, just a story. I imagine many are also upset by the abusive father in Rosalita who lowers the boom and lock her in her room.

You've been keen to tell everyone that you don't get anyone else's view of these lyrics but slow to explain what you enjoy about the words used. The 'whataboutery' is as expected.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jertucky said:

A picture of Jesus being consoled after listening to Western Stars for the first time? I can feel his pain, but what does it have to do with Janey Needs a Shooter?

An image that celebrates and encourages empathy. Could be instructive?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JoleBlonAlba said:

Great - if you could just cite the lyrics that show Janey as a very strong and capable character within this setting, that'll get the discussion on to a solid footing.

Janey (nobody else) turns him down like dope

Janey needs (as in, could do with some backup) a shooter like me on her side (note, not in front or leading but as a compadre)

She has her style (very unique, not just some unnamed female person)

Her doors (not anybody else's suggests she owns property)

She has her very own cop too

The guy had to be "prepared" in order to merely be in her presence

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, JoleBlonAlba said:

You've been keen to tell everyone that you don't get anyone else's view of these lyrics but slow to explain what you enjoy about the words used. The 'whataboutery' is as expected.

Feel free to re-read the many, many posts in here where I describe why I like the lyrics. You want me to hold you by the hand and feed you the answers again, but they are already in here.

What do you think about the lead character in Hungry Heart? How about the father in Rosalita? Those songs turn you off as well as they have good-to-great music but unsavory characters that I am assuming does not work for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, jukeblue said:

Janey (nobody else) turns him down like dope

Janey needs (as in, could do with some backup) a shooter like me on her side (note, not in front or leading but as a compadre)

She has her style (very unique, not just some unnamed female person)

Her doors (not anybody else's suggests she owns property)

She has her very own cop too

The guy had to be "prepared" in order to merely be in her presence

That's great - much obliged to you for making this effort, jukeblue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jertucky said:

Feel re-read the many, many posts in here where I describe why I like the lyrics. You want me to hold you by the hand and feed you the answers again, but they are already in here.

What do you think about the lead character in Hungry Heart? How about the father in Rosalita? Those songs turn you off as well as they have good-to-great music but unsavory characters that I am assuming does not work for you.

I certainly don't want any hand-holding from you - rest assured on that point.

The old saying 'never assume anything' holds true, but "the 'whataboutery' is strong in this one", sadly.

For someone who doesn't want to debate or discuss these lyrics, you keep coming back with more questions for me but bat away the very thought of answering any yourself. Seems to me that you are like a dog, frankly, popping along to mark his territory in this thread at regular intervals. Spray away if it makes you feel good, by all means.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoleBlonAlba said:

I certainly don't want any hand-holding from you - rest assured on that point.

The old saying 'never assume anything' holds true, but "the 'whataboutery' is strong in this one", sadly.

For someone who doesn't want to debate or discuss these lyrics, you keep coming back with more questions for me but bat away the very thought of answering any yourself. Seems to me that you are like a dog, frankly, popping along to mark his territory in this thread at regular intervals. Spray away if it makes you feel good, by all means.

You keep quoting me, I respond. It’s not a debate by any means but a discussion. I mean, I’ve answered your question several times. You don’t like it, or don’t understand it, but it’s been answered. You just seem to want me to say what you want to hear and I apparently haven’t said it yet. Maybe this one did it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, garcoo said:

Janey loved a mechanic who owned a gas station down on Route 9
Well she took him to bed and I beat my head on his gas tanks and bled all over his tires
And then he smashed my car with his big tow bar. I got out and asked him why
He said “Cause with her it’s either you or me, and it’s gonna be me”
And I watched Janey silently stand by

I had completely forgotten (or probably never known) of this verse. Thank you for posting it.

Zevon definitely went for the shooter as armed man/protector interpretation in his rewriting of the song, but this "extra" verse seems to indicate that the "shooter Jack/jack" is probably a junkie/dealer. I mean, Janey would need a far better sidekick if her self-proclaimed shooter's reaction at having his car smashed in from of him is simply asking the smasher (& rival in love!) why. ;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frank said:

I had completely forgotten (or probably never known) of this verse. Thank you for posting it.

Zevon definitely went for the shooter as armed man/protector interpretation in his rewriting of the song, but this "extra" verse seems to indicate that the "shooter Jack/jack" is probably a junkie. I mean, Janey would need a far better sidekick if her self-proclaimed shooter's reaction at having his car smashed in from of him is simply asking the smasher (& rival in love!) why. ;)

It could have helped the lyrics, depicting the unhinged 'shooter' and his jealousy as well as having Janey actively and passively make choices herself ('loved a mechanic', 'she took him to bed',  'silently stand by'). 

I've never heard the Warren Zevon song but this one has been off-putting so I probably won't seek it out for that reason. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, JoleBlonAlba said:

I've never heard the Warren Zevon song but this one has been off-putting so I probably won't seek it out for that reason. 

Well, I'm confident you wouldn’t find the lyrics of Zevon's version more off-putting than, say, Take 'Em As They Come.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Have you got the vinyl? (I'm old fashioned - no streaming or downloading for me!)

No. Now that I think about it, I’ve never actually owned a vinyl record of my own. I listened to a lot when I was younger due to having older brothers and sisters but by time I was buying my own stuff (1990ish) it was tapes, then CDs.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

No. Now that I think about it, I’ve never actually owned a vinyl record of my own. I listened to a lot when I was younger due to having older brothers and sisters but by time I was buying my own stuff (1990ish) it was tapes, then CDs.

 

Aww, jokes (or my idea of a joke!) are never that funny when you have to explain them :lol: Side 4 of the album hasn't got any songs on it ... just a shadowy pic of Bruce.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay i'll do my best to explain why I like the lyrics and think they are good lyrics.  

1. Any lyrics that can lead to 7 plus pages of discussion likely means the lyrics are worth talking about. Otherwise why would we even bother?

2. I like the fact that the lyrics aren't PC. It's refreshing to have some dark and realistic lyrics.  The world isn't all rainbows and sunshine and these lyrics tell a potentially dark and twisted story.  

3. In my own personal interpretation of the song I believe the lyrics offer some hope.  I'm glad he changed the lyric from one of the other versions where the narrator used to say "so long I don't play that dope"   to "i told her I had so long been prepared for her.

This to me is a huge offering of hope.  Before the narrator had finally decided Janey was a lost cause and he couldn't help her.  Now he is reassuring her that he is up for the job and can help keep her safe from the world and it's villains.

This song reminds me of season one of True Detective when Rust Cohle tells his partner, "The world needs bad men Marty, we keep the really bad men from the door"  or something like that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Janey needs a man who knows her style is right up the with the man that is going to drive all night to buy me some shoes. Bruce knows a thing or two about sex, women and Catholic guilt.  Janey isn't in need of a doctor or a priest, just a man who shoots straight and knows a thing or two.  It's only rock and roll. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a lot of assumptions can be made from the lyrics but depending on how one looks at the song I think one could just as easily make a case that Janey is bad news and these men are her victims...

**This is not my personal interpretation of the song but just an example**

She could be leading all of these men on and playing them.  This poor old doctor thought he had a chance but Janey was just using him.

She's also got a priest she's leading on and trying to tempt him to do things against his faith. Bad Janey!

The Cop really cares about her and she's got him worried about her, so this poor officer is so concerned he goes out of his way to drive around the block every night to check on her.  He must really care about her to do that and be worried about her and rightfully so because she's likely filled his head with stories about all of these other guys who are after her... Sure Janey... keep painting yourself as a victim to get attention.

And then this poor narrator is falling for all of it as well. She holds him close and tells him about the cop that's scaring her... Riiiight.  Janey is using all of them and filling their heads full of lies and is loving all of the attention she's getting from it.

Maybe the men are all suckers in this song...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...