Greasy Lake Community

1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

Listened to the album today to give myself a Christmas music break. This one hasn’t aged well with me. I think it’s the singing. Kind of sounds like a Working on a Dream album song. I don’t know. 

Well i definatly agree about it sounding WOAD album - that's another reason for me to love it ;)

• Bruuuuce! 1

Great song and one of the best on the album. It has a '80s era Billy Joel feel to it, and I mean that in the best possible way.

Also, I can't help wondering if the opening lines are a nod to The River. Could this be a possible distant future for the young couple from that song, many hard won decades later? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Magnus said:

Great song and one of the best on the album. It has a '80s era Billy Joel feel to it, and I mean that in the best possible way.

Also, I can't help wondering if the opening lines are a nod to The River. Could this be a possible distant future for the young couple from that song, many hard won decades later? 

Yikes, I think you might be right. But I hate 80s era Billy Joel. I don’t hate this song. I actually think I like it, but I definitely don’t love it.

6 minutes ago, Eileen said:

Pity about Benny King making an appearance again though.

Extremely embarrassing but i had to go google who he was :o:(

So if there was no speaking mistake id still be ignorant of the fact :)

1 hour ago, Eileen said:

Pity about Benny King making an appearance again though.

It turns out that it it's a Drifters song in the days that he went by the name Benny King. He adopoted Ben E King when he went solo. Who knew?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

It turns out that it it's a Drifters song in the days that he went by the name Benny King. He adopoted Ben E King when he went solo. Who knew?

I even tried to check this out earlier, but missed it.

It seems This Magic Moment was released in January 1960 and he assumed the named Ben E King on leaving The Drifters in May 1960.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHYAlVJrsYOm6ckQ_XGMs

Capture1.JPG

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Born To Walk said:

It seems This Magic Moment was released in January 1960 and he assumed the named Ben E King on leaving The Drifters in May 1960.

Capture1.JPG

Aye. I pinched it from Bruce expert Billy Smith, on FB.

1 hour ago, Born To Walk said:

Capture1.JPG

Cheers for this! - you learn something new every day!  I only watched the video for the first time yesterday and I was tutting as in what idiot has been tasked with uploading the lyrics and has put "Benny" King (as in that is how it sounds / could be interpreted if you didn't know Ben E King) - that said I've not looked at the stuff that came with the CD to know if there are album lyrics with it and if this was the same there "anyway"?  Good to learn this fact!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, BruceWho said:

that said I've not looked at the stuff that came with the CD to know if there are album lyrics with it and if this was the same there "anyway"?  Good to learn this fact!

We first picked this up from the CD booklet and were tutting at the fact that it hadn't been corrected in the video. Seems it wasn't corrected because it wasn't wrong and that we're the ones with egg on face.

2 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

We first picked this up from the CD booklet and were tutting at the fact that it hadn't been corrected in the video. Seems it wasn't corrected because it wasn't wrong and that we're the ones with egg on face.

Ha! - yeah we ALL bombed out.........where's my slice of that humble pie!

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

We first picked this up from the CD booklet and were tutting at the fact that it hadn't been corrected in the video. Seems it wasn't corrected because it wasn't wrong and that we're the ones with eggWell well on face.

Well well well .. how interesting!

I always thought it sounded like Benny King - poor pronunciation on Bruce's part.

I bet he did that on purpose, knowing a lot of folk would have taken the bait. Ha! Nice one, Bruce!

• Haha 1

Spot on Daisey there is something 'Magic' about it  . As much as I  love Priest the Power Of Prayer is the one track I keep  going back to . Love Jake's sax. Its really evocative of Clarence. Has Brucing singing Darlin and Baby :wub: too

A lovely love song.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
On 11/23/2020 at 8:30 PM, Seebab said:

I still haven't figured out what the lyrics are about. What has the chorus got to do with what the rest of the song talks about? Any ideas?

I'm going out on a limb here, but I wouldn't be surprised if Power Of Prayer had been originally written for the long rumored "gospel" album, with the later addition of the Ben(ny) E. King lines just to fit the Letter to You theme. With the exception of the those lines, the lyrics basically revisit the Roll of the Dice trope: love as a gambling game (with cards instead of dice) which is worth playing. The bouncer etc stuff seems cut from something like House of a Thousand Guitars (which would have benefited from an additional verse instead of its redundant coda, IMHO), and pasted to Power Of Prayer to make the song a "pop music prayer" as Bruce claims in the documentary (from 22:30 to 23:10). It works well, especially in the documentary. But to be fair, this is hardly what the rest of the lyrics is about.

On 11/24/2020 at 10:40 AM, Promise61 said:

On 11/24/2020 at 1:42 PM, Born To Walk said:

I'm not so sure.  If I'm reading it right, and Wikipedia is correct, he used his birth name while with the Drifters, which was Benjamin Earl Nelson. 
So he would have been Benny Nelson, not Benny King.

3 minutes ago, Rizla said:

I'm not so sure.  If I'm reading it right, and Wikipedia is correct, he used his birth name while with the Drifters, which was Benjamin Earl Nelson. 
So he would have been Benny Nelson, not Benny King.

You may well be correct.

Capture.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I watched the official video on youtube but through the TV last w/end - primarily to show the video to my wife - and when we got to that line the lyrics on screen now read Ben E King!!!  I don't know if there is more than one version of the video out there or if they have amended it, but I was surprised to see it "whatever" as I felt I had been taught a lesson / learned something over the whole Benny King thing!!?  

1 minute ago, BruceWho said:

I watched the official video on youtube but through the TV last w/end - primarily to show the video to my wife - and when we got to that line the lyrics on screen now read Ben E King!!!  I don't know if there is more than one version of the video out there or if they have amended it, but I was surprised to see it "whatever" as I felt I had been taught a lesson / learned something over the whole Benny King thing!!?  

DOH!  I jumped on here with this and hadn't read those last couple of posts (ref his real name being Nelson) - SO - are we now full circle and this WAS a typo after all? ha! 

1 hour ago, BruceWho said:

SO - are we now full circle and this WAS a typo after all? ha! 

Yes. The eventual conclusion was that he adopted the stage name Ben E King when he left The Drifters in May 1960, so at the time of This Magic Moment (released January 1960) he was still known as Ben(jamin) Nelson.

• Like 1