Greasy Lake Community

House of a Thousand Guitars

Now then, this is one song I can comment on ... and it's absolutely bloomin' wonderful!

I love the words, the music right from the start, his voice - especially at the end. I have to smile at the way he says the last word, though.

The backing vocals, the way small changes in the melody creep in, the repetition of Land of 1000 Guitars at the beginning of one of the verses.

The way his voice breaks ... the tears still flow when I listen to it. Hurry up with that cd, postie!

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

Love the reference back to Jungleland in the second line of the song.

If ever a song summed up the feelings of every music fan in this horrible year it's this one.

A tonic for our current times for sure.

We have lost so much, but there is a bright zone on the horizon and happier days ahead.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, stillilllife said:

It sounds so clunky singing the word guitars in this song. It works when the song title is sung once, but in the outro for example when he sings it over and over that word sounds really clunky.

Yes, whatever was he thinking?  The phrase has no euphony at all. 

• Like 1

Nice song, but as it was mentioned before, the repetition of the title in coda spoils the song for me, especially because "a thousand guitars" is not a particulary melodic phrase per se. Here's the limits of writing an album (or most of it) in a couple of weeks or so, I guess.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Frank said:

especially because "a thousand guitars" is not a particulary melodic phrase per se. Here's the limits of writing an album (or most of it) in a couple of weeks or so, I guess.

I find it an extremely moving phrase ... and when he repeats it my heart sings.

• Bruuuuce! 1

1 minute ago, Eileen said:

Well, I'm glad you like it. To me, it sounds as a very cheap way to make the coda a little different from the song intro. For sure he wasn't using up the English language here. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Frank said:

Nice song, but as it was mentioned before, the repetition of the title in coda spoils the song for me, especially because "a thousand guitars" is not a particulary melodic phrase per se. Here's the limits of writing an album (or most of it) in a couple of weeks or so, I guess.

I would agree with you. And whoever said in sounds clunky. It just doesn’t have a great flow but I will eventually get used to it as the rest of the album is good enough that I will just get used to hearing it.

18 minutes ago, Eileen said:

Totally agree - yes it’s cheesy, but a lot of Bruce’s music is really. House of a thousand guitars, as a musician especially, takes on a hugely symbolic meaning - we all want to be in the house of a thousand guitars, especially right now

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

Totally agree - yes it’s cheesy, but a lot of Bruce’s music is really. House of a thousand guitars, as a musician especially, takes on a hugely symbolic meaning - we all want to be in the house of a thousand guitars, especially right now

I'd be just as happy to be in the House Of A Thousand Songs.  That is much more inclusive (doesn't the drummer count?  The pianist? etc).

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Rizla said:

I'd be just as happy to be in the House Of A Thousand Songs.  That is much more inclusive (doesn't the drummer count?  The pianist? etc).

But at least on this album someone finally turned Garry up

He even has singing credits !