Greasy Lake Community

Comparing Letter to you to Magic

Both Magic and LTY are jam packed full of hooks, melodies and great riffs.  Magic has better words, LTY has better production.

I'd give Magic the edge if you held a gun to my head and made me decide.

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1
1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Very unpopular with me! But yet it's your opinion! So do you put the River and Born in the USA in that category? 

Nope. HH was promoted as an album of outtakes that was somehow a studio album

The River and Born In The USA were not

59 minutes ago, zzcoolness said:

If HH is outakes because it contains older songs what does that make LtY?

At least four of the songs are "older" or discards from prior albums?

Not saying any of the songs are bad, but didn't fit with the material from their time

I'm not a fan of most of the album, but sometimes I'll listen certain songs

WB, Rising? Both had songs that had been previously played live, same with DD At least two were played on GOTJ tour?

Nothing new was written for High Hopes - thats the difference for me. I felt he wanted to tour that year, the albym served that purpose, and also another album on the contract

• Like 2
3 hours ago, USAman said:

Unpopular opinion but i dont view High Hopes as a studio album, for me (and in my ipod) its in the compilation/outtake category

Agreed. I never saw it as a new Springsteen album at the time, more a compilation album of outtakes, covers and re-recordings.

To be honest, I could never quite understand why he released it. Some of the outtakes were great (The Wall, Hunter of invisible game, Down in the Hole), but the rest were average ditties which would never have been good enough to make the official album releases. I sometimes think it was some kind of favour to Morello who was touring with the band at the time. It meant the could record the rocked up version of The Ghost of Tom Joad with TM and Bruce playing dual leads. Most of the album was so-so.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, USAman said:

Nope. HH was promoted as an album of outtakes that was somehow a studio album

The River and Born In The USA were not

Nothing new was written for High Hopes - thats the difference for me. I felt he wanted to tour that year, the albym served that purpose, and also another album on the contract

I dig what your saying, but a new released song is a new song! Were you excited when Tracks came out? Or did you say nan it's just outtakes from earlier albums? I'll pass? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I dig what your saying, but a new released song is a new song! Were you excited when Tracks came out? Or did you say nan it's just outtakes from earlier albums? I'll pass? 

Of course, i had never them before. I hadnt heard any bootlegs.

An album of outtakes - great. 

• Like 2

I think Letter to You is still way too young to allow us to make a proper comparison with Magic. The new album is an immediate pleaser, but its spontaneity may turn out to be a blessing as well as a curse in the long run. Time will tell.

For sure, I think Letter to You will do good to the general opinion of the Magic album. Now that the classic E Street sounding album fans had asked for so long is finally out, it will be easier to properly appreciate how beautifully crafted and innovative an album like Magic really is, in terms of production, arrangements, and choice of songs.  

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
5 hours ago, Troublette said:

I just pulled out of the shelves. O'Brien mixed Magic. I have to say this album may be my bottom of the Bruce list. I hate the way it sounds. I can't even listen to it even though there are some good songs in it, I hate how they sound, plus it has Girl's in their summer clothes, the worst. I have never liked The Beach Boys so that song, fingernails in a chalkboard. I tried listening to Magic earlier this year again and I made it about four songs in before I had to shut it off. I am one of the few who greatly prefer D&D and WOAD to Magic. Oh, the new album sounds great!

Interesting re. Not enjoying The beach boys or Magic

I wonder if that's common for peeps who dont enjoy magic?

I do love me some WOAD 

While you have the sleeve out are your eyes good enough to see who mixed it ?

4 minutes ago, Frank said:

I think Letter to You is still way too young to allow us make a proper comparison with Magic. The new album is an immediate pleaser, but its spontaneity may turn out to be a blessing as well as a curse in the long run. Time will tell.

For sure, I think Letter to You will do good to the general opinion of the Magic album. Now that the classic E Street sounding album fans had asked for so long is finally out, it will be easier to properly appreciate how beautifully crafted and innovative an album like Magic really is, in terms of production, arrangements, and choice of songs.  

But about how they  sound ?

3 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Agreed. I never saw it as a new Springsteen album at the time, more a compilation album of outtakes, covers and re-recordings.

To be honest, I could never quite understand why he released it. Some of the outtakes were great (The Wall, Hunter of invisible game, Down in the Hole), but the rest were average ditties which would never have been good enough to make the official album releases. I sometimes think it was some kind of favour to Morello who was touring with the band at the time. It meant the could record the rocked up version of The Ghost of Tom Joad with TM and Bruce playing dual leads. Most of the album was so-so.

He released it because pre'2016 and also excluding the chicken scratch tour he liked to have a new album to tour behind

High hopes brought him back to NZ and to South Africa - long neglected parts of the universe 

Well that's my take on it and I'm   sticking to it and also while I'll  always love high hopes

4 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

But about how they  sound ?

Well, they sound great IMHO. Like something Bruce can really be proud of as a musician and a composer. Most of all they are innovative, for Bruce's standard. Now, Letter to You is a dream come true, but let's admit it: it's also taking the easiest path when it comes to recoding an album.    

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Growin' Up said:

Letter to you is better than Magic; on a par with Wrecking Ball, but The Rising still comes up trumps for best Springsteen album post-Reunion. 

I generally agree with this and - this seems odd coming from someone who generally wants more - if a few songs on The Rising had been cut (Let's Be Friends, Counting, Fuse) it would be even further out ahead as the best post-reunion album.

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Interesting re. Not enjoying The beach boys or Magic

I wonder if that's common for peeps who dont enjoy magic?

I do love me some WOAD 

While you have the sleeve out are your eyes good enough to see who mixed it ?

WOAD was also mixed by O'Brien.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Frank said:

I think Letter to You is still way too young to allow us to make a proper comparison with Magic.

This indeed. Comparing with any album, in fact.

Comparing to Western Stars, only because it was the last album before this, seems ridiculous, because both albums are so different from each other.

If comparing anyway, even if LTY is officially out for less than a week, the most logical choice would be The Rising, not Magic, because both albums are a sort of comeback of Bruce Springsteen & The ESB, on record. Bruce and the band back in the studio again, after quite some time. (But then, Magic was of course also the first album with the ESB in 5 years; maybe also a little sort of comeback then).

• Like 1