Greasy Lake Community

The Official October 28th Part 14 Bruce’s farm SiriusXM SetlistVision thread

AMIW

4 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

There is no literature or poetry in this White House. No music.
No Kennedy Center award celebrations.
There are no pets in this White House.
No man’s best friend. No Socks the family cat.
No kid’s science fairs.
No times when this president takes off the blue suit-red tie uniform and becomes human, except when he puts on his white shirt- khaki pants uniform and hides on the golf course.
There are no images of the first family enjoying themselves together in a relaxing moment –anywhere.
No moments like Obamas on the beach in Hawaii, or Bushes fishing in Kennebunkport, no Reagans on horseback, no Kennedys playing touch football on the Cape.
I was thinking of the summer when George H couldn’t catch a fish and all the grandkids made signs and counted the fish-less days. And somehow, even if you didn’t even like GHB, you got caught up in the joy of a family that loved each other and had fun.
Where did that country go?

Where did all the fun and joy and expressions of love and happiness go? We used to be a country that did the ice bucket challenge and raised millions for charity.
We used to have a president that calmed and soothed the nation instead of dividing it.
And a First Lady that planted a garden instead of ripping one out.
We are rudderless and joyless.
We have lost priceless cultural aspects of society that make America great.
We have lost our mojo. Our fun, our happiness.
The cheering on of others.
The shared experiences of humanity that makes it all worth it.
The challenges AND the triumphs that we shared and celebrated.
The unique can-do spirit Americans have always been known for.
We are lost.
We have lost so much
In so short a time.

(By Elayne Griffin Baker)

https://www.facebook.com/brucespringsteen/videos/272836190717553/

• Love Love Love! 2

16 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Show over.

Shame Bruce sat on the fence instead of telling us what he thinks :lol:

Really? He just told you. So very well, so great done.

Thank You, Bruce. Thank You.

Where have all my Bruce friend gone?
So silent in here? This great Volume 14. The best until now.
We are not allow to be political?
But we can still tribute our hero? I hope.

Vote 'em Out.

5 hours ago, jepweb said:

Vote 'em Out.

No we are not allowed to talk about Politics.  

• Sad 1

RECAP: VOLUME 14, "FAREWELL TO THE THIEF"
"Remember, America: this is our moment. Vote."
Eight years ago, I traveled to Parma, Ohio to watch Bruce Springsteen perform in support of the reelection bid of President Barack Obama [October 18, 2012], on assignment for Backstreets. Though just seven songs long, that remains one of my favorite concert memories of all time. President Clinton "opened" for Bruce.

Before the show, I ran into longtime guitar tech Kevin Buell and front-of-house mixer John Cooper, both of whom wore a look of shock at being recognized, given the event and their out-of-the-public-eye roles in the E Street organization. As Buell went off to do his thing, I told him to toss Bruce the guitar and requested "Zero and Blind Terry."

"Ha, I'll try," Kevin said. "Just vote, man! Our democracy depends on it."

Every good Boss needs a couple key executives, and damn if Buell wasn't pristinely on message with his boss that day. The message rings just as true today and in this election cycle, if not more so; just over eight years later, Bruce was at it once again in the latest episode of From My Home to Yours.

Volume 14: "Farewell to the Thief" was one of the shortest of his DJ sessions so far, at under an hour, put no less powerful for that — and it's remarkable that Bruce had time for his radio show at all, considering all the Letter to You activity. But a compressed set zeroed in on the crucial choice awaiting our Promised Land in the forthcoming election — and on ghosts and goblins, too, but mostly in the form of thematic crossover, Bruce describing this episode as a "Halloween/Election Day monster mash."

The spooky "Martian Hop" opened the show, a one-hit wonder from 1963 and a reminder of Bruce's love for novelty songs, followed by an instrumental interlude of Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells." The latter is better known, perhaps, as music from The Exorcist, and sure enough, Springsteen called for "an exorcism in our nation's capital."

"Hello and welcome, ghouls, fools, witches, blood-sucking politicians, zombie denizens of Washington, DC," Bruce intoned, before reaching for one of his favorite political tunes, Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Run Through the Jungle." If anyone expected the scares to be more along the lines of "Purple People Eater," Bruce made it apparent that this Halloween, the most frightening thing he can think of would be another four years of the current White House occupants: "In just a few days we'll be throwing the bums out. I thought it was a fucking nightmare, but it was so true."

Following "Everybody Knows" from Leonard Cohen, Springsteen described the nightmare:

A good portion of our fine country, to my eye, has been thoroughly hypnotized — brainwashed by a con man from Queens! You mix in some jingoism, some phony patriotism, "fear of a black planet," vanity, narcissism, paranoia, conspiracy theories, and a portion of our nation undergoing mass delusions and teetering on violence… and you're left with the greatest threat to democracy in my lifetime.

"How did he do it?" Springsteen asked, immediately offering an answer in "I Put a Spell on You," performed by Nina Simone — evoking a similar theme explored on the Magic record, which is of course "about magic, but it's also about tricks," as he introduced the title song in 2007.

A spoken-word interlude revisited the 44th president's speech at this year's Democratic National Convention, as we heard the voice of President Obama: "We should expect a president to feel a sense of responsibility for the safety and welfare of all 330 million of us — regardless of what we look like, how we worship, who we love, how much money we have — or who we voted for."

Referring to his meeting in the Oval Office with President-Elect Trump,  Obama continued, "I never expected that my successor would embrace my vision or continue my policies. I did hope, for the sake of our country, that Donald Trump might show some interest in taking the job seriously, that he might come to feel the weight of the office and discover some reverence for the democracy that had been placed in his care. But he never did."

Obama's speech became a prologue to one of Springsteen's own protest songs, as a familiar kick drum provided a superb transition into "Death to My Hometown." The Wrecking Ball recording beautifully blends the anger Bruce felt following the 2007-2009 recession with the redemptive qualities his lyrics and music jointly provide.

An instrumental interlude by George Mann, Julius Margolin & Friends provided this episode its title — "Farewell to the Thief!" — and the absurdity of its kazoo paired well with the bipartisanship Springsteen offered. "And now a short message from the opposition!" set up Bryson Gray's "Trump is Your President," which includes such couplets as "'Cause you know this Trump Train don't stop (Choo, Choo) / Tell Beto to please come try to take my Glock (try)." Still, it's catchy; and it made way for a more on-the-nose response to the Trump Train as it transitioned directly into Jay Z's "My President is Black."

"As far as I can gather, this next song sums up the administration's response to combating the coronavirus," Bruce said with no further explanation, and even though there are no words to the Legendary Shack Shakers song, the title said it all: "Thin the Herd." Another track whose title was the message: James Brown's "Get Up, Get Into It, Get Involved." Bruce set up "Liar, Liar" by the Castaways: "During his four years in office, the man who is supposed to be the best of us has told more than 20,000 lies."

Woody Guthrie's "This Land Is Your Land" might have flashed you back many Springsteen moments — from the original River Tour, to President Obama's inauguration (with Pete Seeger), to that event eight years ago in Parma, where Bruce performed it after a minute-long chant of "Vote! Vote! Vote!" The more things change…

Taking the microphone for his lengthiest monologue of the episode, our DJ lamented the lack of recognizable humanity in the current White House, through the words of Elayne Griffin Baker. Over an instrumental by Stephan Moccio, Springsteen offered up a great portion of her viral Facebook post, published on September 2. Bruce read (and at times paraphrased) with great feeling:

There is no art in this White House.
There is no literature. No poetry. No music.
There are no pets in this White House.
No loyal man's best friend. No Socks the family cat.
No kids science fairs.
No times when this president takes off his
blue suit-red tie uniform and becomes human, except when he puts on his white shirt- khaki
pants uniform and hides from the American people to
play golf.
There are no images of the first family
enjoying themselves together in a moment
of relaxation.
No Obamas on the beach in Hawaii
moments, or Bushes fishing in Kennebunkport, no Reagans on horseback, no Kennedys playing touch football on the Cape.…

Where did that country go?  Where did all
of the fun and joy and expression of love and happiness go?  We used to be the country that did the ice bucket challenge and raised millions for charity.
We used to have a president who calmed and
soothed the nation instead of dividing it.
And a First Lady who planted a garden
instead of ripping one out.
We are rudderless and joyless.
We have lost the cultural aspects of
society that make America great.
We have lost our mojo. Our fun, our happiness.
Our cheering on of others.
The shared experience of humanity that makes it all worth it.
The challenges and the triumphs that we shared and celebrated.
The unique can-do spirit that American
has always been known for.
We are lost.
We have lost so much
In so short a time.

Bruce added a postscript, a singular directive of his own: "On November third, vote them out."

"Democracy" was the second Leonard Cohen selection for the day, played before Pete Seeger's "America the Beautiful" led into "The Promised Land." This last was another lift from the Parma 2012 rally, and it continues to carry deeper meaning following Bruce's thoughts and these 14 pandemic-era episodes of From My Home to Yours.

"And that's our show on this Halloween/Election Eve. Remember, America: this is our moment. Vote."

Playlist:

The Ran-Dells - "Martian Hop"

Instrumental Interlude: Mike Oldfield - "Tubular Bells"

Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Run Through the Jungle"

Leonard Cohen - "Everybody Knows"

Nina Simone - "I Put a Spell on You"

Barack Obama -  2020 DNC speech (excerpt)

Bruce Springsteen - "Death to My Hometown"

Instrumental Interlude: George Mann, Julius Margolin & Friends - "Farewell to the Thief!"

Bryson Gray - "Trump Is Your President"

Jay-Z - "My President is Black (Remix)"

The Legendary Shack Shakers - "Thin the Herd"

Castaways - "Liar, Liar"

James Brown - "Get On Up, Get Into It, Get Involved"

Woody Guthrie - "This Land Is Your Land"

Instrumental Interlude: Stephan Moccio - "Sea Change"

Poetry reading: Elayne Griffin Baker - Untitled

Leonard Cohen - "Democracy"

Instrumental Interlude: Pete Seeger - "America the Beautiful"

Bruce Springsteen - "The Promised Land"

• Love Love Love! 1

16 hours ago, jepweb said:

Vote 'em Out.

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve heard the last 2 or 3 of these. I’m sure I’ll hear some of this while driving around though I have been listening to a lot less radio since Letter to You came out. That said, I find one-sided political talk to be boring and uninspiring whether it be from Trump, Biden, Bruce, Sean Hannity or Rachel Maddow. They’re all welcome to have it, I just find it boring.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

RECAP: VOLUME 14, "FAREWELL TO THE THIEF"

You Rock!
Thank you. Thank you, Thank you. Saved this in a rtf document!

Volume 14 saved to HDD. My newest radio bootleg. Maybe some day we will love this as we love the '78 radio shows. 

• Bruuuuce! 1

3 hours ago, freeholdboro91 said:

An absolute disgusting display by Bruce. Hope his bags are packed for Australia 

OK, Bruce and I don't see eye to eye politically. If you don't like his political view maybe don't listen to this series. I haven't from the get go. And I still love the music the man puts out year after year (Except WS). 

Listen to the new album, if you don't laugh, cry and wonder, you're not a Springsteen fan. 

18 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

OK, Bruce and I don't see eye to eye politically. If you don't like his political view maybe don't listen to this series. I haven't from the get go. And I still love the music the man puts out year after year (Except WS). 

Listen to the new album, if you don't laugh, cry and wonder, you're not a Springsteen fan. 

Being British, I have now say, but!

Love the new CD, even the songs I didn't like on first listen.

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

You always have a say! And I'll love you forever no matter what! For being my first true friend here! 

That is so nice,if I ever make it back to dear old St Lou, we have a lunch date.

• 4 weeks later...