Greasy Lake Community

The Moderately Official "Letter To You" Chart Position Thread

11 hours ago, Thunder_road_belgium said:

That's a record for a foreign artist in Belgium that Bruce shares with Dutch singer Marco Borsato.

Sometimes Bruce has very strange company....:o

• Haha 1
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bruce Springsteen makes Official Chart history this week as he scores his 12th Number 1 album with Letter To You. Outselling the rest of the Top 5 combined, The Boss’ twentieth studio collection

There’s a couple of days until the charts start coming out, and we know ‘Letter To You’ was outselling the rest of the Top 5 combined in the UK mid-week chart and seemingly destined to be No. 1 on Fri

Pleased to report that it seems that the spirit of our old friend Earthslayer is alive and well here at GL .  Thanks, Keith.  

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Thunder_road_belgium said:

Week 5 in Belgium:

Flanders: 1 - 1 - 1 - 4 - 5

Wallonia: 3 - 5 - 13 - 17 - 23

Is there an obvious reason (eg linguistic) why there should be a big difference?

16 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Is there an obvious reason (eg linguistic) why there should be a big difference?

i did some googerling

Seems Flanders is better off finacially than Wallonia which has more unemployment - it could be a case of having more  disposable income ?

More people speak English in the Dutch speaking Flanders than the  French speaking Wallmonia 

i also read that culturally Flanders is more influenced by the UK and USA where in Wallmonia not as much

Any other theories out there ?

Perhaps a Belgian could chime in 

How often has Bruce played in each part ?

18 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

How often has Bruce played in each part ?

If I counted well (I believe I did), it's this: Brussel 4 x, Gent 3 x, Antwerpen 4 x, Werchter Classic Festival 1 x.

Vlaanderen 8, Brussel 4, Wallonië 0.

That's it: 12 shows. As you often say yourself, Mr. Landau has strange maps; it seems his map of Europe had a big hole at the place of Belgium between 1981 and 1993 and between 2008 and 2013.

Which is still not as bad as his map of the Southern Hemisphere with a big hole somewhere east of Australia until 2003; or his 'world map' with only U.S.A./Canada and Europe (mostly Western Europe and Scandinavia).

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Lampi said:

If I counted well (I believe I did), it's this: Brussel 4 x, Gent 3 x, Antwerpen 4 x, Werchter Classic Festival 1 x.

Vlaanderen 8, Brussel 4, Wallonië 0.

That's it: 12 shows. As you often say yourself, Mr. Landau has strange maps; it seems his map of Europe had a big hole at the place of Belgium between 1981 and 1993 and between 2008 and 2013.

Which is still not as bad as his map of the Southern Hemisphere with a big hole somewhere east of Australia until 2003; or his 'world map' with only U.S.A./Canada and Europe (mostly Western Europe and Scandinavia).

well i think these statistics you kindly compiled speak volumes when compaired with record sales 

JLM dedinatly need a new world map 

On 11/29/2020 at 1:32 PM, Born To Walk said:

Like some other Lakers said, the largest and most popular concert venues are all in Flanders or Brussels (which is officially Dutch ànd French speaking). But the main reason is indeed that the general culture in Flanders is Anglo-American, which means it focusses mainly on English language culture (music, films, series, books, ...). Wallonia on the other hand is very focused on French language culture (France,  parts of Canada, ...). A lot of artist that you see in the Wallonian charts, I've never heard of. They're probably very big in France, but in Flanders, nobody knows them.

It is a bit sad to see this big difference in culture, specially because some political parties use this as an argument to just split up the country and say that dutch speaking Belgians and French speaking Belgians are 'different people'. I don't really understand why listening to other music makes you different from another human being, but maybe that's just me.

Fortunately, in recent years there have been a lot of great artists coming from the Brussels area (Stromae, Angèle, Roméo Elvis, BRNS, Lost Frequencies, ...). They don't give a shit about the differences between Dutch and French speaking and really present themselves as 'Belgian artists'.

Yes, we are a small, but complicated country ...  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 12/1/2020 at 12:15 AM, Lampi said:

Werchter Classic Festival 1 x.

Bruce Springsteen & The ESB played Werchter 2 x, in 2013 and 2016.

That would be: 13 shows in Belgium, Vlaanderen 9, Brussel 4, Wallonië 0.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Lampi said:

Bruce Springsteen & The ESB played Werchter 2 x, in 2013 and 2016.

That would be: 13 shows in Belgium, Vlaanderen 9, Brussel 4, Wallonië 0.

this is sad

(My) The South Island was about two weeks off being claimed by  France in 1840

I'd be homeless trying to spell French 

but at least Bruce Springsteen has been to the South Island (once) 

5 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I'd be homeless trying to spell French

Ironically, you spelt 'French' perfectly whilst messing up on what I assume is meant to be 'hopeless' :lol:

• Haha 2
12 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Ironically, you spelt 'French' perfectly whilst messing up on what I assume is meant to be 'hopeless' :lol:

God dam auto correct 

2ywt6e.jpg

9 hours ago, Thunder_road_belgium said:

Week 6 in Belgium:

Flanders: 1 - 1 - 1 - 4 - 5 - 5

Wallonia: 3 - 5 - 13 - 17 - 23 - 23

Still holding up nicely, same positions as last week in both parts of the country.

Hay JLM pencil in some Wallonia dates next tour