Greasy Lake Community

Rick Rubin & Malcolm Gladwell Interview with Bruce

34 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Nice to hear Bruce wittering away ^_^ But did he really play any music? Did I miss it? I only heard a few strums on the guitar.  Maybe I wasn't paying attention.

I'm not sure what was going on there.... I wondered if maybe some stuff was edited out.

Agree...great, great interview.   Bruce gave some interesting insights into his processes, and to me sounded as confident, as comfortable in his own skin as I've ever heard him.  Comparing this with the interviews circa BITUSA, it's just night and day.

One thing I found very odd, was Malcolm Gladwell's insistence that Highway Patrolman (aka "the Joe and Frankie song") provided a redemptive moment on Nebraska, which Gladwell described as a "ray of light", where he claims Joe realises the love of his brother is more important than his badge.  I've never seen this moment as redemptive. Frankie has committed a heinous crime, and Joe is faced with an impossible choice.  He makes his decision but there's no happy ending there, in fact it's as dark as anything else on that album.  I got the feeling Bruce was puzzled by Gladwell's take too, but let it slide.   Very strange, to me at least.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, alanio said:

The best thing out there around 'Letter To You'. Loved this. 

Well, this is definitely a great one, but we’ve been living in heaven interview recently. The Lowe’s one, Conan’s, and the whole Letter to you radio episodes are stellar as well. Not to mention what came out in the press. It’s the best and richest stuff ever, I’d say.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, jmw said:

I don't know who these guys are,but Bruce seemed very relaxed. Not sure what happened to the songs.

Rick Rubin is a great great music producer who's worked with everyone from Run-DMC to The Cult to Tom Petty to Johnny Cash. Would be great  if he teamed up with Bruce for a record.   Malcolm Gladwell is a writer but I don't know much about him

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, *Janey* said:

A great interview indeed! I really enjoyed listening to it. Apparently the songs got edited out, which is a shame (I wonder why they did that...). 

My guess would be because he couldn't remember the words.

• Haha 2
On 10/31/2020 at 8:36 AM, *Janey* said:

A great interview indeed! I really enjoyed listening to it. Apparently the songs got edited out, which is a shame (I wonder why they did that...). 

The full interview and songs are here:  https://brokenrecordpodcast.com/#/episode-68-bruce-springsteen-2/

Bruce does "If I Were The Priest", "Nebraska" and "Last Man Standing" (not all are full songs).