Greasy Lake Community

I really enjoyed the new documentary, and the Western Stars film. They were both well shot, with some lovely scenery, and great music.

Maybe it's just me, but the way Bruce speaks in them, seems a bit unnatural. When he talks in interviews he always comes across really well, interesting, knowledgeable, but always modest and self effacing. Likewise when he speaks to the crowds at concerts.

Maybe it's because he's reading a script, but the pontificating style of his commentary, just seems a bit forced and not how he normally comes across.

I did think the Broadway show was similarly different in how he spoke. It was as though he was acting, rather than just telling stories as at a regular concert.

I kind of know what you're getting at, but it is part of a performance.  And it may seem a bit forced because it's scripted.    With his pre-song stage patter in a normal show, he is able to (and often does) get away with losing his train of thought, and just trailing off before just launching into the song.     You can't do that at a partial spoken-word show at 1000 bucks a ticket.   Re-the films, he might have just over-prepared and begun to sound a bit stilted, I dunno.   He's a heck of a lot more articulate these days than he was in the 80s.    I remember my friend (casual fan) saw an interview for BITUSA and said "I can't believe this idiot wrote all those great songs. Who's helping him?"

• Like 2

A great deal of that persona is contrived when in front of a camera and an audience.  He admits that himself in the Broadway film.

I think his interviews are more interesting these days simply because he has more life experience and has a less narrow minded view of the world than he did in the 80s.

• Like 1

The Broadway allusion is correct. However, I would go a step further and take into account the very ‘source‘ of that show. 
Both recent documentaries’ voiceover uses exactly the same narrative voice Bruce used throughout his reading of the ‘Born to Run’ audiobook.

5 hours ago, Promise61 said:

A great deal of that persona is contrived when in front of a camera and an audience.  He admits that himself in the Broadway film.

I think his interviews are more interesting these days simply because he has more life experience and has a less narrow minded view of the world than he did in the 80s.

I agree with this. Especially with this album, he’s been relaxed and seemingly natural. He’s not playing up the serious/tortured artist thing he can do sometimes. 

5 hours ago, Frank said:

The Broadway allusion is correct. However, I would go a step further and take into account the very ‘source‘ of that show. 
Both recent documentaries’ voiceover uses exactly the same narrative voice Bruce used throughout his reading of the ‘Born to Run’ audiobook.

Ours was much better! :P

• Like 1