Greasy Lake Community

Favourite Letter To You song?

Favourite Letter To You song?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. It's been at least a week now for these songs to marinate in our minds.What's your favourite?

• One Minute You're Here
    • Letter To You
    • Burnin' Train
    • Janey Needs a Shooter
    • Last Man Standing
    • The Power of Prayer
    • House of a Thousand Guitars
    • Rainmaker
    • If I Was the Priest
    • Ghosts
    • Song for Orphans
    • I'll See You in My Dreams

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/06/2020 at 02:18 PM

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Is this good or bad? Good that it's that good? Or Bad to think this is your favorite? 

Before the album was released, I thought I would not like Prayer as I was guessing it to be a song with very religious lyrics which is not my thing like Heaven's Wall - which I don't like. 

Well Prayer is my favourite now as its lyrics leave much to interpret. It reminds me melodically of Save My Love which is one my all time favourites. 

The only song I don't care that much and skip is Rainmaker. 

Overall the album is 9/10 for me. Last Man Standing, Priest, Train, One Minute You're here are other favourites. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

I went with I'll See You In My Dreams ..... NOT voting for Burnin' Train was hard ..... i almost sat it out ....

Its hard just singing out just one because every thing is so enjoyable 

So i went for Janey

• Like 2

It's hard to pick a favourite. I can narrow it down to six but after that it just depends on mood. It's made harder because the songs are so varied in style and tempo - how do you choose between Orphans, Burnin' Train, Mast Man Standing and Letter to You, say, which show such different sides to Bruce's talent?

Looking at the results I'm surprised the song Letter to You hasn't done better - but I guess it had a lot of exposure before the album was released so perhaps people are going for the fresher songs at the moment.

• Like 1

The fact that after many listens of the album  in the car from start to finish I still nearly crash the car when Max’s drums kick in and Bruce announces ‘ I hear the sound of your guitar .....’ says to me Ghosts is the song of the album . I think I’ll lose it when I hear it live !!!! 

the volume goes up too .... funny that :D

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Early North Jersey said:

So many great songs ..... I'm actually surprised that Priest is winning so easily !!!!

I was going to vote for one minute your hear but its Janey Thats stock in my head thanks to Mr @Jertucky 

I mean to me the new songs and the old songs stand up well beside each other 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bossman66 said:

If I Was The Priest is just EPIC!

Bossman

I really like the way he sings that one. You can hear him trying to nail it and pushing his voice to it’s breaking point. That’s the passion I love to hear him singing with. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Jertucky said:

I really like the way he sings that one. You can hear him trying to nail it and pushing his voice to it’s breaking point. That’s the passion I love to hear him singing with. 

The way Bruce sings ‘girl’ at the start and then again towards the end of the song. The best single word delivery on the album! 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2

7 hours ago, Tenthavenuefreezeout said:

Because I really don't know what it was talking about .

What do you mean If your mother was a thief ?

I would not read too much into this. I believe he’s just painting a holistic picture of a western style story or metaphor , not to be taken too seriously he does this from time to time  ... I mean have you heard Outlaw Pete ! :D

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Thunder Roadie said:

I would not read too much into this. I believe he’s just painting a holistic picture of a western style story or metaphor , not to be taken too seriously he does this from time to time  ... I mean have you heard Outlaw Pete ! :D

True.

Also, a song containing the line "His countryside's burning with wolfman fairies dressed in drag for homicide" was written at just about the same time as If I was the Priest. It's fair to say Bruce just liked to play around with words and rymes at that time like his songwriting idol Mr Zimmerman. Still sounds great though. What an imagination.

• Like 4

I voted for Burnin' Train.   It's classic E-Street, but with a twist..... reminds me of some British/Irish band from the late 80s/early 90s, but I can't put my finger on which one. A bit of U2, but that's not the main one I'm thinking of....I thought maybe Hothouse Flowers but that's not it either... anyway it's great.

• Like 3

INSTANT CLASSICS:
1. Ghosts
2. If I was the priest

NEARLY A CLASSIC:
3. Letter to you

GREAT:
4. Janey needs a shooter
5. I'll see you in my dreams
6. One minute you're here
7. The power of prayer

GOOD:
8. Song for orphans

PRETTY GOOD:
9. Burnin' train

AVERAGE:
10. Rainmaker

PRETTY BORING:
11. House of a thousand guitars
12. Last man standing

...Lastly I should add that there really is no song on this album that I think is downright bad.

• Like 1

I didn’t read any reviews or read anything about it on fan sites until I listened to it myself. I took a long drive around Seven Lakes Drive where I live. Man, If I Was The Priest blew me away. One of his best. Song for Orphans comes in a close second. 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1