Greasy Lake Community

Favourite Letter To You song?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. It's been at least a week now for these songs to marinate in our minds.What's your favourite?

• One Minute You're Here
    • Letter To You
    • Burnin' Train
    • Janey Needs a Shooter
    • Last Man Standing
    • The Power of Prayer
    • House of a Thousand Guitars
    • Rainmaker
    • If I Was the Priest
    • Ghosts
    • Song for Orphans
    • I'll See You in My Dreams

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/06/2020 at 02:18 PM

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If nothing else, this album has made my user name make sense to a few more people...

Best rocker on the album in my opinion.

If I Was The Priest is just EPIC! Bossman

Posted Images

On 11/3/2020 at 1:36 AM, Seebab said:

In my opinion, the three old songs are still far ahead in terms of quality and repeatability. They just sound so fresh and unpredictable. You uncover something new on each listen. The others are good I think but fairly standard post-reunion Bruce tunes and not too different from recent albums. I love the piano and Bruce's voice on Power of Prayer. One of his best sung songs in the last two decades. Reminds me of Kingdom of Days or Queen of the Supermarket from WOAD.

I find both singles (Ghosts and Letter to You) to be quite weak lyrically and awkwardly structured so hardly go back to them now. Overall, a solid and enjoyable album though.

1) Janey Needs a Shooter

2) Songs for Orphans

3) If I Was the Priest

4) Burnin' Train

5) Power of Prayer

6) One Minute You're Here

7) I'll See You In My Dreams

8) House of a Thousand Guitars

9) Last Man Standing

10) Letter To You

11) Ghosts

12) Rainmaker

Wasn’t fussed on LTY at first (after the initial novelty wore off anyway) but as part of the album I’m really enjoying it. Weird how that works.

Ghosts is probably my least favourite but even then it’s a good song. 

On 10/31/2020 at 9:02 PM, janeymarywendy said:

@ProveItAllNight747, this won't help your poll one bit, sorry :lol:.  I can only say what my least favourite song is, and that's House OATG.  Closely followed by The Power OP. I've played the album enough times now to know I wouldn't miss them, even though I DO like them well enough. On the other hand, I could never, ever decide on my favourite song, but that goes for all the other albums too!

I agree with tpop, although the verses give it hope but it just doesn't work as much for me. But hoat guitars I absolutely love it, great song for me along with letter ,ghosts, orphans , lms, dreams and the fantastic priest, its Janey i really dislike adds very little for me, but its all about taste.

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

Wasn’t fussed on LTY at first (after the initial novelty wore off anyway) but as part of the album I’m really enjoying it. Weird how that works.

Same as There goes my miracle on Western Stars. As part of the album played in sequence, it’s absolutely essential. Not so much in isolation as a track. 

• Like 2

I need to say this here and now: Song for Orphans was often played on my youtube account within the last 10 years approx. The OLD style version. 70ies stuff. Really enjoyed that one and had some hope to get an official recording with TRACKS 2. Now what happened? Boss doing it great new style on Letter to you (better: „me“). This song alone would make the album good. But now we are blessed with those great other old and new songs. Ghosts. I can hardly image how exceptional this song will work live in stadium. SAN SIRO we come, 4 times like promised on the ducementary. Yes pleaaaaase, go to hell Covid19, we need some rock and rebirth of grit, style, drums, guitars, sax. ZERO‘s my number, band kickin in. Audience go freak out, italians doing la ola.

His letter to us needs to be performed in 100 stadiums with 10.000 guitars playin hard. 

I LIKE THAT ALBUM. It‘s way better than I expected. 

Best song? Dunno. Maybe Ghosts for the praise of the band. 

Rainmaker was not one of my favourites on my first listens to the album. In fact, I didn’t much like it. But I reminded myself that I didn’t like Adam Raised A Cain when I first heard Darkness. So I gave it a chance. Now, I love it. Played it relentlessly. I think it will be great when we get to hear it live. 

• Like 2

Having really belted this album out and listened lots of times now for me Ghosts is still the best song on this album. it’s a perfect pop song with great lyrics . Gets a lot of radio airplay in Uk , it’s a great rocker for the radio . 

Rainmaker has had a kicking but for me it is a grower ... still not a fan of the ‘Suzy orchestrations ‘ but the lyrics are powerful and he’s spitting anger at times . 

The film made me reassess album a little . I’ll see you in my dreams truly is a poignant song . Song for Orphans is superb track and the Burnin Train finale is brilliant. One minute your here lovely . 

if I was a priest enjoyable .

The only skip is Last man standing ... it’s a real dud . I’ve tried but can’t get it .

• Like 1

Although Rainmaker is probably my least favourite tack, I don't dislike it by any means. To me, the problem is that it just sounds different and therefore disrupts the flow of the album.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Rainmaker was not one of my favourites on my first listens to the album. In fact, I didn’t much like it. But I reminded myself that I didn’t like Adam Raised A Cain when I first heard Darkness. So I gave it a chance. Now, I love it. Played it relentlessly. I think it will be great when we get to hear it live. 

I haven’t listened to this album in a week or so as I’ve transitioned over to Christmas music (it’s obviously been a long, long year so I’ve moved my Christmas music timeline up by a couple of weeks). I really do like this song a lot. I get that Bruce wrote it about Bush/Trump but if you can listen to it with a non-partisan ear you can see how it applies to just the belief in any politician or any particular political party. Good tune.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Having really belted this album out and listened lots of times now for me Ghosts is still the best song on this album. it’s a perfect pop song with great lyrics . Gets a lot of radio airplay in Uk , it’s a great rocker for the radio . 

Rainmaker has had a kicking but for me it is a grower ... still not a fan of the ‘Suzy orchestrations ‘ but the lyrics are powerful and he’s spitting anger at times . 

The film made me reassess album a little . I’ll see you in my dreams truly is a poignant song . Song for Orphans is superb track and the Burnin Train finale is brilliant. One minute your here lovely . 

if I was a priest enjoyable .

The only skip is Last man standing ... it’s a real dud . I’ve tried but can’t get it .

Agreed with most of what you're saying. Last man standing is the weakest song on the album for me. The importance of chord sequences is relevant here, when talking about how similar the verse vocal melodies of Last man standing and (one of my favorites) Power of prayer are; The chord sequence in Power of prayer really lifts the melody while the one in Last man standing makes it pretty dull.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Although Rainmaker is probably my least favourite tack, I don't dislike it by any means. To me, the problem is that it just sounds different and therefore disrupts the flow of the album.

Very true - does not seem to fit musically in this album . I see it did not make the LTY film either . 

2 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

I think Rainmaker will evolve in the live environment .... I just love the passion in the song, lyrically it’s probably the best song on the album .

Sometimes folks need to believe in something so bad so bad so bad they’ll hire a rainmaker 

That’s the line right there. Sums up the  idea that other side doesn’t know what they’re doing but the guy from side will fix everything.

Every song is a cracker. For me though House of a thousand Guitars is still my favourite (and Bruce's), followed by The Power of Prayer, Last Man Standing (which is awesome in my opinion), Ghosts, and If I was the Priest.

Rainmaker has also been a grower for me.

But really, it's one of those albums that barely has a weak moment. The band sound magnificent as well.

Still would give it four stars though. It's great, but not quite as overwhelming as the classic E Street Band rock albums from the 70's and 80's that merited five stars. His solo records are a different debate altogether.

22 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Still can’t get into it. There’s a great song in there but the arrangement just grates on me.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Still can’t get into it. There’s a great song in there but the arrangement just grates on me.

It certainly took me a while.

The lyrics are good and kind of save the song.

It does sound a bit like a Rising outtake.

It's a really good song, but the standard of the rest of the songs on the album is so high I wouldn't put it near the top of my list of favourites.