• Breakaway
    • The ties that bind
    • Bring on the night
    • Brothers under the bridges ('83)
    • Chain lightning
    • Crush on you
    • Dancing in the dark

What is the Big Man's best sax solo?
I'll say it straight away: This poll is MULTIPLE CHOICE so you can vote for multiple songs.
I got the idea for the poll from a user in a facebook group, so thank you to that user.

There will be 6 rounds and 1 playoff (consisting of either 3 rounds or a single final round, depending on the results of the previous rounds).
If a song happens to have more than one solo feel free to specify which one you voted for in the comments.

Lastly, and maybe controversially: Jungleland won't be part of this competition. It's the winner already.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, stillilllife said:

Gotcha, but as you probably understand the idea is to vote for the song/songs that you think is the best from each poll's particular selection. : )

OK. Apologies.

I should have read the opening post properly, my fault.

I have now voted.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, stillilllife said:

What is the Big Man's best sax solo?
I'll say it straight away: This poll is MULTIPLE CHOICE so you can vote for multiple songs.
I got the idea for the poll from a user in a facebook group, so thank you to that user.

There will be 6 rounds and 1 playoff (consisting of either 3 rounds or a single final round, depending on the results of the previous rounds).
If a song happens to have more than one solo feel free to specify which one you voted for in the comments.

Lastly, and maybe controversially: Jungleland won't be part of this competition. It's the winner already.

All this hoo har to decide second place? I'm tired just thinking about it

I’m going to do some canvassing here :D

ok so Badlands is by far the best song on this list but Clarences sax input is quite small . It’s much more about Max’s drums and guitars . 
Be True on the other hand Clarence anchors this song and it’s a far better rep of his sax playing so judge the sax input not the best song ..... just hinting :D

35 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I think it was @Promise61, who stated that on Darkness on the Edge of Town album, Clarence only plays on three tunes for a total less than 30 second. Hopefully I stated that right. That just seems crazy to me! 

Not sure if it was 30 seconds exactly  but i remember this from the promise doco

I think sax is like truffle

You don't need a lot of it to flavour everything

(- ive never actually had the fungi truffle but i watch Aussie master chef :P)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
52 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I think it was @Promise61, who stated that on Darkness on the Edge of Town album, Clarence only plays on three tunes for a total less than 30 second. Hopefully I stated that right. That just seems crazy to me! 

Yeah, I was surprised to find that out when I skimmed through all the songs for this poll. Same thing (to a lesser extent) with Born in the U.S.A.

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

I think Landau said it. But because those three solos are on prominent songs it feels like he's all over the album.

• Like 3

Are we going to have a cow bell / triangle etc round ?

Im almost 93% serouse :lol:

The Big Man's contributions to the sound of the ESB is more than just the sax

That's why we had Everett Bradley for the WB tour 

40 minutes ago, judyg said:

The best solo is in Jungleland. Why is this not in your poll??

I beleave there there is going to be more than one round :)

12 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I was going to put this on the Controversial Opinions thread but since you've raised the topic.... IMCO, Darkness was an album unsuitable for saxophone.    I've never timed length of the solos, but I think there's only 3 if them...Badlands, Promised Land and Prove it.  To me, these songs would've been fine without sax too. On Badlands especially, the sax solo feels shoehorned in so Clarence has something to do.    

• 2 weeks later...