Greasy Lake Community

Every single Bruce Springsteen album ranked in order of greatness by the NME (UK)

I am sick of seeing Lucky Town consistently ranked low down in Bruce’s discography - I swear it just gets dismissed because it’s not an E Street record but it it fantastic record start to finish (plus it’s not as bloated as a lot of Springsteen records at a nice 40 mins)

• Like 5
1 minute ago, BobbyJames said:

I am sick of seeing Lucky Town consistently ranked low down in Bruce’s discography - I swear it just gets dismissed because it’s not an E Street record but it it fantastic record start to finish (plus it’s not as bloated as a lot of Springsteen records at a nice 40 mins)

I don't know if no ESB is the reason. But I agree with you. I'll put Lucky Town in front of a lot on the list. Especially one!;)

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

Agree,  brilliant record that sounds lean and crisp like an electrified demo album.  Love the gospel vibe and the straight up rock sound.  Lucky Town, the song, is a personal favourite too.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, risingaurora said:

Letter To You & Tunnel far too low down; Greetings and Seeger too high. 

Greetings is a funny one.  Dislike the studio album arrangement but love so many of the songs live.  If I did a live version of the album, it would be a top 5 album but as it is, it would be bottom quartile.

For example, Lost in the Flood from Buffalo 2009 is one of his all time great performances.  The studio version sounds pallid in comparison.

I love the love for WIESS though.  Superb album.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Karembu said:

Greetings is a funny one.  Dislike the studio album arrangement but love so many of the songs live.  If I did a live version of the album, it would be a top 5 album but as it is, it would be bottom quartile.

For example, Lost in the Flood from Buffalo 2009 is one of his all time great performances.  The studio version sounds pallid in comparison.

I love the love for WIESS though.  Superb album.

Have to agree with this comment. I never listen to the album but the songs live are just fantastic. WIESS is brilliant, enough said.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, BobbyJames said:

Concur 100 per cent

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Karembu said:

If they had dropped Wild Billy’s Circus Story for Thundercrack, I would say WIESS would be number 2 or 3, duking it out with BTR for the silver medal behind Darkness.

Completely agree with this - would be an album of epics for sure, I never really got Wild Billy’s Circus Story

30 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

Completely agree with this - would be an album of epics for sure, I never really got Wild Billy’s Circus Story

I'm sure I remember Bruce saying in an interview it was to do with childhood memories of circuses passing through his hometown which he was fascinated with, and he always wanted to write a song about them. I have always liked it. It's a quirky song with lots of good imagery and Danny on accordian.

I think Thundercrack was left off as it was so long, and he had already settled for three epic long songs for side two, and possibly another one with Kitty's Back.

18 hours ago, BobbyJames said:

Bruce seems to think it's because "the fans don't like happy songs" or whatever...I think the lyrics are great, but the songs are kind of same-ish, musically