Greasy Lake Community

Euro 2020

Jimmy James

I have to admit that my joy/relief of England's progress so far is slightly tempered by the fact that I would have been/well be happy to have seen any of their opponents progress.

For family reasons, Germany are my second team; Ukraine have done better than expected and have my sympathy for being sold out by the West; Denmark? Who doesn't like Lego, butter and bacon (plus that statue that often has its head knocked off)?

Anyway, I'm enjoying it while it lasts and aren't hanging all my sense of self-worth on the outcome of a game that I have no influence over (although I have just noticed a pattern between the months that I change my lucky pants and the third or fourth letters of the names of the teams England play:P. )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, bdw said:

Denmark? Who doesn't like Lego, butter and bacon (plus that statue that often has its head knocked off)?

Not to mention Anders Lassen. Got to love the Danes ... but ... come on, England!

On 7/2/2021 at 8:33 PM, Born To Walk said:

Loved how the Italian player lying crippled on the ground suddenly leapt to his feet when his team scored :lol:

Maguire and Kane certainly tried their best to emulate him.

10 hours ago, bdw said:

Can you hear O'Boogie sing? 

No-oo.

No-oo.

Can you hear O'Boogie sing? 

I can't hear *ahem* "any" thing.

No-oo-oo-oo-oo (not sure how many of those it needs).

Sung like a true "apprentice".;)

For once, this England team is very difficult to dislike:  Gareth Southgate is a very statesmanlike manager and the likes of Sterling and Rashford are polar opposites to your stereotypical footballer.

Even the English fans last night (albeit the majority are ex-pats) were well behaved.  

Stan Collymore made a good point: 

Unfortunately, I think it will be business as usual come Wednesday evening. 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

I'm sure I'm right in thinking that Southgate is the first England manager to reach the semi finals of both the World Cup and Euros?

He's clearly doing something right. These players have now achieved more than the more celebrated likes of Beckham and Rooney ever did.

2 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

I'm sure I'm right in thinking that Southgate is the first England manager to reach the semi finals of both the World Cup and Euros?

He's clearly doing something right. These players have now achieved more than the more celebrated likes of Beckham and Rooney ever did.

i think Alf Ramsay may have done that before.

2 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

6 minutes ago, bigbonesbilly said:

i think Alf Ramsay may have done that before.

Yes, after winning the World Cup, England played in the European Championships in '68.  Albeit there were only 4 teams competing, so it was by default!

I don't really agree with the way Honours are liberally doled out to sports stars who are often already well rewarded and recognised for their achievements. However, I think guiding a perennially underachieving England side to two major semi finals is far more deserving than driving a fast car faster than the guys driving slower cars.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Growin' Up said:

Yes, after winning the World Cup, England played in the European Championships in '68.  Albeit there were only 4 teams competing, so it was by default!

Seems there was a qualifying procedure, so I guess it counts:

image.thumb.png.75a17ced755d36f41eeee78551a19eb0.png

7 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

I don't really agree with the way Honours are liberally doled out to sports stars who are often already well rewarded and recognised for their achievements. However, I think guiding a perennially underachieving England side to two major semi finals is far more deserving than driving a fast car faster than the guys driving slower cars.

I only liked the first part not the part about Sir Lewis

I don't even know what im doing here

I saw @dr winston oboogie had changed his avatar pic so im thinking England are playing Denmark???

Im going to have to go with Denmark on this 

• Love Love Love! 1

I said during the last world cup that I liked the way Gareth Southgate goes about his business, he is without doubt the best man for that job right now, he handles himself very well, speaks well and unusually is a man who shows a lot of humility, and I suspect he wil never change from this, and also it would seem that he demands these same qualities from his players or they are out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dr winston oboogie said:

I said during the last world cup that I liked the way Gareth Southgate goes about his business, he is without doubt the best man for that job right now, he handles himself very well, speaks well and unusually is a man who shows a lot of humility, and I suspect he wil nevr change from this, and also it would seem that he demands these same qualities from his players or they are out.

That must be the longest sentence we've seen on the Lake. 

• Haha 1