Greasy Lake Community

Euro 2020

Jimmy James

35 minutes ago, AMIW said:

Mancini says it’s unfair that his Italy side won’t be able to stop football from coming home …

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/05/roberto-mancini-italy-and-spain-face-unfair-crowd-situation-at-wembley

dont remember him complaining about Wales nit being able to go to Amsterdam or England to Rome though

I also don't recall Italy offering to stage the semi finals or the final. If they had done, then maybe they would have been the team with the advantage.

meanwhile NDC lets the pubs stay open later in England when they win the final- pubs will still close early in Wales and Scotland so they wont be able to celebrate a Italy/Spain victory

English pubs permitted to stay open later on Sunday

Good news for any of you planning to watch Sunday's Euro 2020 final in your 'local'... Boris Johnson has granted pubs special permission to open until 23:15 - 15 minutes after normal closing time - in case the showpiece goes to extra time and penalties.

The game at Wembley will kick off at 20:00 BST so normal time would finish at about 22:00. If the score is level, it will be followed by 30 minutes extra time.

The Prime Minister's official spokesman said: "The entire nation has been gripped by the Euros and this will ensure people can come together to enjoy the final in pubs, should they wish to do so."

If England beat Denmark in Wednesday's semi-final they will reach the final of a major tournament for the first time since winning the World Cup at Wembley in 1966.

I've ended up going in to watch it - good game, good game.

Oh my ... penalties.

Awww ... you could cry for the one who misses. Mind you, he wasn't the only one so there's that.

Italy have been the best team in the tournament, but they possibly peaked too early and I thought they looked a bit jaded against Spain.

England have timed their form well and if they beat Denmark ( and I think they will) then I think they might just edge the final against Italy. It's a big advantage for them with the semi and the final being at Wembley.

A German girl pictured crying at Wembley after her team's loss to England has asked for the £36,000 donated by well-wishers to go to UNICEF.  

The girl was abused online when she was shown in tears in TV pictures of the 2-0 defeat at the European Championships.

Former footballer Stan Collymore shared screengrabs showing how a minority of Twitter users had directed abuse at the her in reference to her nationality and Germany's Nazi past.

Joel Hughes, from Pontypridd, told Sky News how he set up a JustGiving page with the aim of raising £500 to show that "not everyone from the UK is horrible and that we care".

Eight days after the match, over £36,000 has been donated by more than 3,200 people.

The girl and her family have been found, according to an update on the fundraising page, and have thanked people for their "amazing support".

A statement provided to JustGiving said: "In the interests of our daughter and our family we would like to remain private however we wish to thank everyone for your amazing support.

"Our daughter would like to request your generous donations go to UNICEF, knowing that your kindness will do good."

UNICEF is the United Nations' children's agency - and JustGiving said "the legacy of the support from thousands of donors is that thousands of children from around the world will benefit".

Mr Hughes said he was "beyond grateful" to the thousands who had shown their support for the girl and that messages had come from around the UK and Europe, and as far away as Japan.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

A German girl pictured crying at Wembley after her team's loss to England has asked for the £36,000 donated by well-wishers to go to UNICEF.  

About the best possible outcome from a very unpleasant situation.

I thought that during the Ukraine/England games, the coverage showed the same thing - a couple of young Ukrainian fans looking like they were crying but my memory may be impaired by the refreshment that I'd enjoyed. You'd think that was the sort of thing they'd avoid anyway but to do it twice shows a bit of ineptitude.

Anyone else in the UK (no not you Dr O'B, we have your answer:P) bored with the non-stop build-up on the radio? I assume TV news/discussion shows are the same 

I could understand it for the final but the semi?

4 minutes ago, bdw said:

Anyone else in the UK (no not you Dr O'B, we have your answer:P) bored with the non-stop build-up on the radio? I assume TV news/discussion shows are the same 

I could understand it for the final but the semi?

I had to turn Zoe Ball off (Radio 2) - she's been wittering on about it all week.

Almost as boring as Andrew's 'coming home' posts.

• Haha 1

Terrific game last night between Italy and Spain, it realll was The Final before The Final, the two best teams in Europe from the two best leagues in Europe. It can best be described in one word RESPECT...The two managers/coaches have great respect for each other and the players of both teams also have an enormous respect for each other, perfectly illustrated by no maguire or kane fatal woundings and falling to the floor like a sack of potatoes when another player dares to touuch you....During the whole 90 mins. of normal time and the 30 mins. extra time neither trainer was ever on the pitch, amazing when you consider the intensity and importance of the tie. Even more important was that both sets of players had and showed great respect to a superb referee and never tried to undermine his authority, it cannot be underestimated how much this and he contrbuted to making the match so enjoyable. I said at the start of the tournament that if Spain do not get to the final that the Spanish Ref. would get the job, however Dr Brych would also do a great job again, the third contender is the ref. from Turkey, that are the 3 best UEFA refs. just now. It is just a pity that there had to be a loser as many in the Sapin team did not deserve to be on a losing side, for me Koke (a very under rated player) had a great game and completely marked Verratti out of the game, both were subbed after 70 and 74 mins.

So, Come on Denmark, the donkeys are on the march, but you can do it, the whole of Europe are rooting for you.

1 minute ago, dr winston oboogie said:

no maguire or kane fatal woundings and falling to the floor like a sack of potatoes when another player dares to touuch you.

Although the previous game highlighted that Italy are not averse to such tactics with one of the most blatant bits of cheating ever caught on camera.

2 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Although the previous game highlighted that Italy are not averse to such tactics with one of the most blatant bits of cheating ever caught on camera.

• Thanks 1