Greasy Lake Community

Euro 2020

Jimmy James

1 minute ago, Cozmic Kid said:

VAR can also be wrong as we have seen many times in the season, most recently with that fake penalty yesterday.

Have you seen thomam's post above? I was undecided until I watched that.

• Like 1

Just now, Cozmic Kid said:

Yes,. I have seen it.

You don't get to purposefully shove/bump somebody in the penalty area - asking for trouble.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cozmic Kid said:

VAR can also be wrong as we have seen many times in the season, most recently with that fake penalty yesterday.

The video posted here earlier clearly shows that Sterling was fouled.

In any case, the goalkeeper saved the penalty.  Not anyone else's fault that he failed to hold on the ball.  The ensuing goal was not a direct result of the penalty kick. 

Just now, Eileen said:

You don't get to purposefully shove/bump somebody in the penalty area - asking for trouble.

And noone did that.

What can I say...

It's diving home...

1 minute ago, Rizla said:

In any case, the goalkeeper saved the penalty.  Not anyone else's fault that he failed to hold on the ball.  The ensuing goal was not a direct result of the penalty kick. 

We can agree on that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cozmic Kid said:

And noone did that.

What can I say...

It's diving home...

Get your specs checked, Brian. ;)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rizla said:

The video posted here earlier clearly shows that Sterling was fouled.

Ironically, the only reason that Schmeichel was unable to parry the the ball away to safety rather than divert it back from whence it had come is that Kane's penalty was so shit that the ball ended up too close to his body.  The laser being beamed into the goalie's face (presumably by one of England's finest) may or may not have had an impact.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Cozmic Kid said:

I hate VAR, I wish it go away, and let the game play itself out. But this was a penalty, plain and simple. The dude stepped on his foot! Now keep this in mind when your boy's Sane and Salah take a flop in the box this coming season. As they do, not as noticeable as Sterling but it happens. 

Plus I think Sterling get a bit of a wrap, just because he is a lot smaller than others in the box.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Archie Hunter said:

Ironically, the only reason that Schmeichel was unable to parry the the ball away to safety rather than divert it back from whence it had come is that Kane's penalty was so shit that the ball ended up too close to his body.  The laser being beamed into the goalie's face (presumably by one of England's finest) may or may not have had an impact.

Äccording to Schmeichel, no impact. But he did notice it on other occations he said, and reported it to one of the refs.

More and more Danish fans now come forward with stories about being spat on by Englands finest as you call them.

1 minute ago, Jimmy James said:

The dude stepped on his foot!    

I watched it and thought they'd been careful not to do that ... he was run into by that laddie in the video above - he bumped him out of the way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eileen said:

I watched it and thought they'd been careful not to do that ... he was run into by that laddie in the video above - he bumped him out of the way.

But he was already well into his dive.

8 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I hate VAR, I wish it go away, and let the game play itself out. But this was a penalty, plain and simple. The dude stepped on his foot! Now keep this in mind when your boy's Sane and Salah take a flop in the box this coming season. As they do, not as noticeable as Sterling but it happens. 

Plus I think Sterling get a bit of a wrap, just because he is a lot smaller than others in the box.   

I hate the diving. Play youor chance instead.

And sterling was not stepped on the foot.

3 minutes ago, Cozmic Kid said:

More and more Danish fans now come forward with stories about being spat on by Englands finest as you call them.

Oh Boo hoo, If I go to Wrigley Field (Chicago) with my Cardinal gear on(which I do always) I except this and maybe a beer or two on my back. It's all part of fandom. I have a funny story about hockey if you want to hear it? On the same topic!  

24 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Oh Boo hoo, If I go to Wrigley Field (Chicago) with my Cardinal gear on(which I do always) I except this and maybe a beer or two on my back. It's all part of fandom. I have a funny story about hockey if you want to hear it? On the same topic!  

How strange.  Being spat on by opposing 'fans' is all just part of 'fandom'.   

Just one more observation, which is to wonder if the brave English who were spitting on the Danish fans last night will be brave enough to spit on the Russian boys, the next time these two countries might come together at an international footballing tournament.  Somehow, I think maybe not.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Archie Hunter said:

How strange.  Being spat on by opposing 'fans' is all just part of 'fandom'.   

OK, maybe I took this a bit to far. Spitting on someone is never good. But when you go into hostel land expect to be abused! 

I enjoy it, to be honest. Especially in Chicago, since they have 1 championship in baseball in like a 100 years. And want to talk trash, I laugh and move on. It's fun!   

1 hour ago, Cozmic Kid said:

Yes,. I have seen it.

There's also a longer clip on Lineker's Twitter feed. It's a penalty. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, thomam said:

There's also a longer clip on Lineker's Twitter feed. It's a penalty. 

Yeah right.

Atleast those who think it was a penalty can stop complaining about the "hand of god" as it was not a handball.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

OK, maybe I took this a bit to far. Spitting on someone is never good. But when you go into hostel land expect to be abused! 

I enjoy it, to be honest. Especially in Chicago, since they have 1 championship in baseball in like a 100 years. And want to talk trash, I laugh and move on. It's fun!   

no problem with being abused. English fans are quite good at that with their different songs. But laser pens, spitting, etc. is not fun at all.

Please share the hockey story.

2 minutes ago, Cozmic Kid said:

Please share the hockey story.

OK, I'll keep this as short as possible. Shit this has to be about 35 years ago. Anyway myself and 3 buddies(mates) took the train one weekend to Chicago for a Blues v Blackhawks hockey game. No tickets, were going to buy when we got there. Went to the ticket window with all our Blues gear on. Told the gal at the window we want the best 4 tickets for tonight's game. She said I won't sell you the best tickets for your own good. These tickets are much better for you guys. We said what the hell, we want the best. She told us she was doing us a favor. So after some thought we said OK, give us though tickets. 

Now keep in mind Old Chicago Stadium where the Blackhawks played was a old type stadium(arena) with cantilever seating. Which meant a large portion of the upper deck came over the top of the lower bowl. The gal at the window gave us tickets up under the cantilever section of the lower bowl. So when the Blues scored the first goal, all the Blues fans jumped up and cheering, the one's not under the cantilever section (out in the open from the section above) got drenched in beer. Us under the cantilever were fine. Then we understood why the gal at the ticket window sold us the seat that she did. Went back to thank her but she was gone.   

22 minutes ago, Cozmic Kid said:

Yep, no handball.  His hand IS behind the ball, just not touching it.

How the hell did the ball go forward then? 

Shit since we are talking about VAR, after reviewing the VAR he should have been shown a Red card and sent off.