Greasy Lake Community

Euro 2020

Jimmy James

37 minutes ago, Cozmic Kid said:

Then how do you get this fake pen so wrong?

Sigh. Because two players impeded Sterling involving contact.

If you don't see that from the video, we're never going to agree, so let's just agree to differ. 

Some people will only see what they want to see. 
At least CK's disagreement is prompted by support for his own team, rather than a cynical hatred of one particular country.

• Like 1

I had no idea who John Stones was, just watched him doing a press conference, comes across as a really together bloke.  I have Italy in the office sweepstakes, I hope I don't win.

For once i am happy that I am from a country which is ranked 105th in the world;) No pressure, no emotions, (at least for me) just wanting to see a good game. That said, I will be up early this Sunday morning rooting for my man Messi in the Copa America final against Brazil.

• Like 1

I never ever thought The Guardian would be accused of having a cynical hatred of one particular country, and I guess also it is probably not the paper of choice for many around here. There are grapes from Portugal,France, Sweden amongst many others in the article and none of them sour.

Unfortunately gamesmanship is an ingrained part of the modern game and all teams will try it where necessary. I don't want England to prosper from cheating and, whatever anyone might say, the videos don't prove one way or the other whether he dived. I'm sure any hurdler that's ever gone sprawling on the track will confirm that it doesn't need much contact to send you flying.

What is indisputable is that England are in the final on Sunday and that isn't going to change, therefore it's time to look forwards not backwards.

• Like 3

And some feared that with VAR there would be no more discussions about questionable decisions. ;)

I wonder why everybody talks about the foul/dive and not about the 2nd ball on the pitch moments before. I mean it's not like the 2nd ball was on the other side of the pitch - it was very close to the action!

Anyway, Denmark were gased. The goal was just a matter of minutes. Would have liked to see them win the whole thing, but penalty or no penalty, they would have never made it to a penalty shoot out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Born To Walk said:

Unfortunately gamesmanship is an ingrained part of the modern game and all teams will try it where necessary. I don't want England to prosper from cheating and, whatever anyone might say, the videos don't prove one way or the other whether he dived. I'm sure any hurdler that's ever gone sprawling on the track will confirm that it doesn't need much contact to send you flying.

What is indisputable is that England are in the final on Sunday and that isn't going to change, therefore it's time to look forwards not backwards.

They could get rid of diving and acting by handing out hefty bans. A two game ban for Immobile for play-acting and he probably wouldn't do it anymore. And if he does: 4 games for the next time. 

11 minutes ago, LeoGetz said:

They could get rid of diving and acting by handing out hefty bans. A two game ban for Immobile for play-acting and he probably wouldn't do it anymore. And if he does: 4 games for the next time. 

Absolutely. Neymar and Ronaldo would have life bans by now.

For some reason the authorities seem reluctant to to take action.

2 hours ago, LeoGetz said:

Anyway, Denmark were gased. The goal was just a matter of minutes. Would have liked to see them win the whole thing, but penalty or no penalty, they would have never made it to a penalty shoot out.

Agreed. A boxing referee would have had to pick up the towel thrown in from the Danish corner long before the final bell. They had completely gone. 

9 hours ago, Frank said:

Off-topic: I could watch that cat video for ages. 

Does it make anybody else yawn?  Every time I see someone/something yawn, I'm away.

Actually, just thinking about it is setting me off.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Agreed. A boxing referee would have had to pick up the towel thrown in from the Danish corner long before the final bell. They had completely gone. 

That would require they would give up, which they didn't.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

Who needs a psychic banana,we have dr.oboogie,though he can only answer no to the question are England going to win?

Well I cannot predict the score tomorrow, it will be a very close game, just hope we get a ref. who will not spoil it this time, I have heard unofficially that it will be the spanish ref.

What I will predict is that the home "fans" will boo the anthem, will boo and hiss any BLM solidarity showing and once again laser pens will be in use.

17 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

Who needs a psychic banana,we have dr.oboogie,though he can only answer no to the question are England going to win?

He does have a 100% record so far - gleefully asserting that England would lose to Croatia, Scotland, the Czech Republic, Germany, Ukraine and Denmark.

1 minute ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Well I cannot predict the score tomorrow, it will be a very close game, just hope we get a ref. who will not spoil it this time, I have heard unofficially that it will be the spanish ref.

What I will predict is that the home "fans" will boo the anthem, will boo and hiss any BLM solidarity showing and once again laser pens will be in use.

I predict that if Italy win, you will post on here within thirty seconds of the final whistle.

For the record, my prediction is 2-0 to Italy. A goal after about 20 mins then England dominate without creating too many chances and Italy score again after about 80 minutes as England lose shape  .