Greasy Lake Community

Euro 2020

Jimmy James

9 hours ago, AMIW said:

Queenie wishes england well

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57789451

also a little note that Tom cruise is trying to get a ticket to the game as he is in England filming… is Harrison Ford still up in newcastle too?

Tom Cruise was at the Ladies Final at Wimbledon yesterday, so nothing's Impossible ;)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Tom Cruise was at the Ladies Final at Wimbledon yesterday, so nothing's Impossible ;)

Where's that ewwww 'Like' option when you need it 

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Id be at the local equivalent of gumboot throwing (cheese roling maybe?)

Welly wanging. Not sure if it's called that all over the country but it's the only name for it that I've heard.

35 minutes ago, bdw said:

Welly wanging. Not sure if it's called that all over the country but it's the only name for it that I've heard.

Hoy the wellie.

Just watched the Copa America final, well done Argentina, Di Maria rightly MOTM.

At times in each half it was like watching 20 harry kane`s on the field as the players kept hurling themselves to the ground for the slightest reason, and sometimes,like con kane, for no reason at all...still good preparation for watching the match tonight I suppose....FORZA ITALIA.

35 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Italy are unbeaten in their last 33 games, winning 27 and drawing 6. So it will be an even greater achievement if England end that run tonight. 

These streaks usually end when you expect it the least or it hurts the most. So I think it looks pretty good for England tonight.

9 hours ago, balboa08 said:

Not related to Euro but football related, Argentina  win Copa America after 28 years or so and Leo Messi finally has a senior championship in the  Argentine shirt and hopefully the cloud over him is now lifted and he gets his due acknowledgement of being the GOAT or atleast amongst the top 3 to ever played the game. 

He was easily top 3 already before last night. I always like to make a distinction between the best and the greatest. To me Messi has been the best ever for a while now. But the greatest? He would probably need a World Cup or start doing cocain.

But, fun-fact: Messi has now won more Copa Americas than Pele and Maradona combinded.

5 minutes ago, Rizla said:

It's just occurred to me - will the next Euro tournament be planned for 2024 or 2025 now?

There's a World Cup next year! I'd be happy if there was a coordinated boycott to protest FIFA's sell-out by awarding it to Qatar but that'll never happen - snouts in the trough is ingrained in top-level sport.

If it was about taking football to new countries (markets, let's be honest) then it should have been a multi-country tournament across the Gulf/Arabian peninsula.

• Thanks 1

The next World Cup in 2022 is to be played in the month of December, spanning a shorter time duration than normal.  It somehow won't feel the same watching such a tournament in the middle of our winter rather than on summer days and evenings.

• Like 1

Given the fanatical following Bruce has in Italy, I assumed that there would be a fair bit of Italians here but I don't see any Italian posting here. 

For some reason never been a big fan of Italy, maybe because in the first ever world cup I saw in 82,they knocked out Brazil, arguably the greatest team ever or at least the most beautiful team to watch. Liked Baggio though. 

Italy would have probably been the slight favourites but considering its being played in Wembley, the crowd may tilt this in England's favour. 

My money would be on a  2-1 in England's favour in extra time. Considering it will get over at around 2.30 Am or so India time, don't think I will be up to watch the ending though. 

@balboa08's post reminded my of Toto Scillacci (sp.?) from a few years later. There's a guy who knew how to celebrate a goal, a football fan playing for his national team.

Who's the Italian player from 15 or so years ago who's a dead ringer for Bruce?

3 minutes ago, bdw said:

@balboa08's post reminded my of Toto Scillacci (sp.?) from a few years later. There's a guy who knew how to celebrate a goal, a football fan playing for his national team.

Who's the Italian player from 15 or so years ago who's a dead ringer for Bruce?

Scillaci was 90 right? If I remember Italy got knocked out by Argentina in a penalty shoot out. Maradona and Argentina were nothing like 86 but still made it to the finals. Can't remember the guy who looked like Bruce.