Greasy Lake Community

Euro 2020

Jimmy James

Gutted.  The theory of bringing on 2 penalty takers in 120 minute is good, shows thought by the manager, however in practice maybe the players were not feeling part of the game.

The behaviour of  England fans in the last couple of games has let the country down against Denmark abusing Women and children today storming the turnstiles and getting in without tickets, pitch invasion.

Hopefully the fans in the pubs will behave themselves, that extra pint that the government let fans have  won't lead to violence.

• Thanks 1

Congratulations to Italy. Worthy champions of Europe. The best team won the tournament. I can’t pretend to be as disappointed as proper England fans. I absolutely dread the international break when it happens in the season and I normally have no idea what day of the week England are playing when it happens. 

I do feel sorry for all true England fans though who go to watch them home and away. Most of them support smaller clubs who never win anything though, so they are used to it. The team have done the country proud. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bdw said:

A reasonable result. Either team would have cause to complain if they'd lost - Italy because they dominated possession, England because they had as many decent chances.

At least the game didn't turn on a refereeing decision - there were dubious free-kicks given both ways throughout.

What a moad of rubbish.

Italy dominated period. Possession. Shots, attempts etc.

Had they lost they could have felt "robbed". Now they just won a WELL deserved win.

2 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I do feel sorry for all true England fans though who go to watch them home and away. Most of them support smaller clubs who never win anything

Yeah but they're the ones that cause most of the trouble. Hooligans have been priced out of the Premier League so it's now likely to be someone from Doncaster, Portsmouth or Exeter that go to football for a barney and take that attitude to England games.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Cozmic Kid said:

What a moad of rubbish.

Italy dominated period. Possession. Shots, attempts etc.

Had they lost they could have felt "robbed". Now they just won a WELL deserved win.

Well done for putting together a reply which doesn't mention England's most high-profile black player. You're making progress.

The stats aren't great reading for a side playing at home.

Still, the world appears to still be turning and I confidently predict that the sun will come up tomorrow.

image.png.531d9d4dde47d6658b0af5ed4de235c8.png

1 minute ago, Born To Walk said:

I confidently predict that the sun will come up tomorrow.

You're clearly not in England. If the past two months are a guide, although the sun may, in an astronomical sense, rise it will not be visible in the sky for another week or two.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bdw said:

You're clearly not in England. If the past two months are a guide, although the sun may, in an astronomical sense, rise it will not be visible in the sky for another week or two.

Looks like we might just get a peek at it if we're lucky.

image.png.f0e462babf5b0abe74795c404c48d665.png

It was Kate Middleton that lost it!

Couldn't she have been content with an afternoon at Wimbledon? No, she had to go to the football and sneer at everyone.

Either her or Tom Cruise, why was he at both?

31 minutes ago, Archie Hunter said:

It may be too early for this, but Southgate was found wanting there, in his line-up, his substitutions, and his choice of penalty takers.  Putting on Sancho and Rashford solely to take penalties in the penalty shoot out was inexcusable.  Where was big bollocks 'I'm taking the penalty' Henderson?  Ah, subbed on and subbed off.

Exactly my husband's words.

31 minutes ago, bdw said:

There's probably a reason why people single out Raheem Sterling for criticism and it says far more about them than it does about Raheem Sterling.

Sterling was the English player of the tournament for my money.

• Bruuuuce! 1

10 minutes ago, Patched Tube said:

Sterling was the English player of the tournament for my money

Kyle Walker for me but then he didn't have the impact at the end of the pitch where matches are won (rather than defeats avoided) so Sterling is a good shout. 

• Bruuuuce! 1

2 minutes ago, bdw said:

Kyle Walker for me but then he didn't have the impact at the end of the pitch where matches are won (rather than defeats avoided) so Sterling is a good shout. 

Yeah, fair enough.  

23 minutes ago, bdw said:

It was Kate Middleton that lost it!

Couldn't she have been content with an afternoon at Wimbledon? No, she had to go to the football and sneer at everyone.

Either her or Tom Cruise, why was he at both?

It was Tom Cruise 

27 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Looks like we might just get a peek at it if we're lucky.

image.png.f0e462babf5b0abe74795c404c48d665.png

Clear and a frosty start here

No body has ever answered my question why this tournament is held in the middle of summer when isn't it a winter sport ?

Screenshot_20210712-110642.png

The last word (that includes you lot too :P) - Kane fell over so much in pursuit of underserved free-kicks that Dr O'B must have exploded with satisfaction; the Italians were more discerning in where they committed their fouls; Harry Maguire was a shambling disaster; Pickford was surprisingly ok; Italy were better but the match going to penalties wasn't a surprise, there wasn't much in it.

Anyway, there are at least 55 years to dissect this.

22 minutes ago, bdw said:

Excellent defensively but sometimes (often) passed the ball like Stevie Wonder. Kalvin Phillips or Declan Rice for me. I assume Henderson for Rice this evening was because Rice had run his race, otherwise inexplicable.

2 hours ago, Ninethumbs said:

Good stamina Balboa08. Hope you're not too tired in the morning.

Missed quite a bit of it and woke up in the second half. It's Monday and got a packed day of virtual meetings :mellow:. Hope I don't dose off, particularly when I will be  just required to be there with little or no contribution. Euro is next only to world cup so its worth losing sleep. 

3 hours ago, Archie Hunter said:

It may be too early for this, but Southgate was found wanting there, in his line-up, his substitutions, and his choice of penalty takers.  Putting on Sancho and Rashford solely to take penalties in the penalty shoot out was inexcusable.  Where was big bollocks 'I'm taking the penalty' Henderson?  Ah, subbed on and subbed off.

I don't follow the game  nor do I know as much as you folks but how common is this subbing people straight for penalties? Does it happen often. 

Remember the great Zico missing one in 86 when he was on the pitch for hardly a minute and this played a huge part in the match going to penalty shoot out where Brazil eventually lost.When there was a bit of backlash as to why he took, many years later he clarified that he was caught in a fix. Damned as he took it though not being ready and damned if he had not taken and has someone else missed as how could he allow another player to take while he was on the pitch. He did score on the shoot out and Socrates missed but not many remember that. 

Remember watching this live with brother and uncles and being gutted as back then Argentina and Brazil were the overwhelming favourites here and Zico along Maradona were my favourites. In fact my golden retriever who passed away a couple of years back was named Zico. 

Nice touch towards the end with Platini and Zico