Greasy Lake Community

Euro 2020

Jimmy James

6 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Clear and a frosty start here

No body has ever answered my question why this tournament is held in the middle of summer when isn't it a winter sport ?

Screenshot_20210712-110642.png

Normallybig tournaments are  played after the football season is over.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Archie Hunter said:

It may be too early for this, but Southgate was found wanting there, in his line-up, his substitutions, and his choice of penalty takers.  Putting on Sancho and Rashford solely to take penalties in the penalty shoot out was inexcusable.  Where was big bollocks 'I'm taking the penalty' Henderson?  Ah, subbed on and subbed off.

My main complaint re Southgate ass that it was Croatia Semi Final repeated. Early goal and relatively comfortable but did nothing when the opposition got on top. Change was needed and he didn't make it until it was 1-1. Wasn't sure about the subs for penalties. Coming in cold for that must be incredibly hard, but that doesn't account for Rashford's abberation.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bdw said:

It was Kate Middleton that lost it!

Couldn't she have been content with an afternoon at Wimbledon? No, she had to go to the football and sneer at everyone.

Either her or Tom Cruise, why was he at both?

Is she the new Mick Jagger? ;)

I wasn't expectant so I'm not disappointed,not because I didn't want them to win but the years have taught me that it isn't going to happen.

The main thing last night was Italy getting to half time only 1-0 down,as soon as that happened then it was game on,Mancini got them fired up at half time & got it right with his substitutions whereas Southgate's were questionable to say the least.

The last 2 tournaments England have had a chance to win a major trophy,a favourable draw in both,that may not happen again for a very long time.

Where we go from here who knows,though probably the same old same old.

I don't blame the players, it's not their fault they're overhyped & overpaid.

Building people up to knock them down is a national occupation.

Unfortunately English football is a microcosm of society,the rich get richer,questionable financial conduct,abuse,racism,violence etc etc & like society it's getting past the point of no return to set it back to some kind of normality.

Good to see Wembley full of true England fans like Tom Cruise.

• Like 2

Throughout the tournament, England played 7 matches (including 2 that had extra-time), were behind for about 10 minutes in total and only lost the final on penalties.

Not quite enough to win it but that can't be seen as a poor tournament for them.

• Like 3

Sad that the 3 guys are now subjected to racial abuse. They will already be gutted for missing the penalties and now have to endure this nonsense. Saka is what 19? Hope it does not scar him and instead makes him tougher.

• Sad 3

46 minutes ago, bdw said:

Throughout the tournament, England played 7 matches (including 2 that had extra-time), were behind for about 10 minutes in total and only lost the final on penalties.

Not quite enough to win it but that can't be seen as a poor tournament for them.

England played indeed a remarkable tournament. It’s a pity they trew it all away by playing so defenisively in the final act. I understand it is not easy to be offensive when you find yourself in the lead a minute after kick-off in a final, but the truth is England played football for no more than 30 minutes yesterday. They virtually let a mediocre Italian squad the ball possession for the rest of the match. That’s where they truely lost the game, IMHO.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, bdw said:

Well it seems like nearly everyone expected them to win it, including the players. Its coming home and all that.

And they lost! Like pissed it all away.

So a poor tournament.

Just now, Cozmic Kid said:

Well it seems like nearly everyone expected them to win it, including the players. 

Never! The players went into the game, expecting to win it? How very dare they have confidence in themselves. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Frank said:

England played indeed a remarkable tournament. It’s a pity they trew it all away by playing so defenisively in the final act. I understand it is not easy to be offensive when you in find yourself in the lead a minute after kick-off in a final, but the truth is England played football for no more than 30 minutes yesterday. They virtually let a mediocre Italian squad the ball possession for the rest of the match. That’s where they truely lost the game, IMHO.

I thought that England played defensively pretty much through the whole tournament.  Not for the first time yesterday, England went into the game with 5 defenders and two holding midfield players, and with Mason Mount pretty much neither fish nor fowl.  The fact is, Southgate wasted (or to be kind did not make the most of) the array of exciting attacking players available to him, to the point where, in the final against Italy, our centre forward (supposedly one of the finest strikers in world football) touched the ball just one solitary time in the opposition's 18 yard box in the entire game - and that was when he stepped forward to take one of the 5 penalties.

52 minutes ago, Archie Hunter said:

I thought that England played defensively pretty much through the whole tournament.  Not for the first time yesterday, England went into the game with 5 defenders and two holding midfield players, and with Mason Mount pretty much neither fish nor fowl.  The fact is, Southgate wasted (or to be kind did not make the most of) the array of exciting attacking players available to him, to the point where, in the final against Italy, our centre forward (supposedly one of the finest strikers in world football) touched the ball just one solitary time in the opposition's 18 yard box in the entire game - and that was when he stepped forward to take one of the 5 penalties.

I think that’s spot on. You could argue that Southgate settled for penalties after the 90 mins ended. He could have brought Sancho or Rashford on in the 1st minute of extra time with 30 mins left to win the match, instead of bringing them on in the final minute. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Archie Hunter said:

I'm broadly very happy with the way we play. Possession, move the ball about, probe and reset if nothing's on. We DO need to make more use of our attacking talents, but primarily the issue is that when the chips are really down, we need to be responsive to the developing game, not stick rigidly to Plan A.

Against some teams, you accept they'll have good spells but expect to be able to wrestle some control back. Against the very top ones, you have to accept that you may need to try something different to re-establish control - or even parity. That's the gap at the moment.

3 hours ago, High As Hope said:

I wasn't expectant so I'm not disappointed,not because I didn't want them to win but the years have taught me that it isn't going to happen.

The main thing last night was Italy getting to half time only 1-0 down,as soon as that happened then it was game on,Mancini got them fired up at half time & got it right with his substitutions whereas Southgate's were questionable to say the least.

The last 2 tournaments England have had a chance to win a major trophy,a favourable draw in both,that may not happen again for a very long time.

Where we go from here who knows,though probably the same old same old.

I don't blame the players, it's not their fault they're overhyped & overpaid.

Building people up to knock them down is a national occupation.

Unfortunately English football is a microcosm of society,the rich get richer,questionable financial conduct,abuse,racism,violence etc etc & like society it's getting past the point of no return to set it back to some kind of normality.

Good to see Wembley full of true England fans like Tom Cruise.

Something seemed to happen in this country - I think it was around 5 years and three weeks ago - when a certain obnoxious sector of British society felt they were given a green light to be even more openly offensive on certain issues.  

I do wish people would distinguish between missed and saved penalties.
A missed penalty is when it goes wide, over the bar, or hits the post.
When the goalkeeper saves it, it's a saved penalty.  Calling it a miss takes the credit away from the keeper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Demos said:

very very true sadly

The racist abuse and booing of national anthems is shameful, but it used to be much, much worse. Social media just amplifies these things. It's still too much, of course, but let's also acknowledge that the average football audience today is way more respectful and tolerant than 20 or 30 years ago.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, LeoGetz said:

The racist abuse and booing of national anthems is shameful, but it used to be much, much worse. Social media just amplifies these things. It's still too much, of course, but let's also acknowledge that the average football audience today is way more respectful and tolerant than 20 or 30 years ago.

Abuse is abuse, if one of the white players had failed to score with his penalty he would be getting just as much abuse on social media.  It comes from unpleasant vindictive people who lash out because they are disappointed and frustrated.  They will say anything they think will hurt their target.  They'll call them fat, ugly, stupid, insult their mothers, or anything they can pick on. 

Social media makes it too easy to do this sort of thing and it needs to be stopped.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Abuse is abuse, if one of the white players had failed to score with his penalty he would be getting just as much abuse on social media.  It comes from unpleasant vindictive people who lash out because they are disappointed and frustrated.  They will say anything they think will hurt their target.  They'll call them fat, ugly, stupid, insult their mothers, or anything they can pick on. 

Social media makes it too easy to do this sort of thing and it needs to be stopped.

sadly social media is an almost made to fit platform for the sort of people you describe, and they can hide behind the anonymity of social media. sadly for me is how people feel the need or even feel this way baffles me i just dont  get it.  no better than physical abusers of animals etc makes me mad

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thomam said:

Too soon?

20210712_173526.jpg

Not too soon - fine to make fun of hubris.

About an hour after the game ended, I messaged a group of friends "Does anyone have the number of a good tattoo removalist?" I haven't seen any of those stories yet but every year there's someone who has a premature "(X) Champions League winners" or similar tattoo and I expect there'll have been a few England supporters that made the same mistake.

Just seen the early betting odds for the World Cup and England are installed as third favourites behind Brazil and France. I think that’s probably about right given the ages of their wealth of attacking choices. And it will probably be boosted further by a more developed Mason Greenwood by then as well.

The manager just needs to learn how to best utilise this conveyer belt of talent. 

I believe there will be a handful of very hungry Englishman playing in the Premium League this year. 

Grealish and Foden - Man City

Greenwood, Rashford and Sancho - United

• Like 1