Greasy Lake Community

Euro 2020

Jimmy James

8 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I believe there will be a handful of very hungry Englishman playing in the Premium League this year. 

Grealish and Foden - Man City

Greenwood, Rashford and Sancho - United

And one incredibly dopey, slow moving one called Kane playing for ???

20 hours ago, Archie Hunter said:

I thought that England played defensively pretty much through the whole tournament.  Not for the first time yesterday, England went into the game with 5 defenders and two holding midfield players, and with Mason Mount pretty much neither fish nor fowl.  The fact is, Southgate wasted (or to be kind did not make the most of) the array of exciting attacking players available to him, to the point where, in the final against Italy, our centre forward (supposedly one of the finest strikers in world football) touched the ball just one solitary time in the opposition's 18 yard box in the entire game - and that was when he stepped forward to take one of the 5 penalties.

I did slightly raise an eyebrow at the line up though it's ok if you plan to play that way for an hour,stay in the game then bring on the attacking talent,the ironic problem though is what happens if you score after 2 minutes? You've set up the team to defend rather than one that is on the front foot to push home that advantage so unless you sub Grealish for Trippier after 5 minutes then sooner or later the opposition are going to push you deeper & deeper & take control of the game.

7 hours ago, Shaun said:

And one incredibly dopey, slow moving one called Kane playing for ???

I don't blame Kane at all. I blame the system they were playing. 

It was like watching Spurs being managed by "Evil Cheese" 

One of the organisers of the storming of Wembley by thousands of ticketless fans has defended the widely criticised breach, as more details emerged about the scale of the security lapse.

Pablo (not his real name), a 24-year-old from the Midlands, was one of the administrators of a Telegram chat group of hundreds of ticketless fans who shared tips about getting into Sunday’s final. Hours before the kickoff those who succeeded advised those still outside on where breaches had been made, he explained.

Speaking to the Guardian he gave details of how he and about 300 fans entered via a disabled entrance in block K, and he claimed others bribed stewards to get in. He estimated that at least 5,000 entered without a ticket.

Pablo said he decided to join the so-called “Wembley jib” or entering without a ticket, after trying every day last week to get a legitimate ticket.

He said: “I just thought my Dad is 52 and he’s never seen England in a final at Wembley. And it might never happen again in my lifetime. There were 30,000 spare seats, and we didn’t sit in anyone’s seat.”

Pablo set up a Telegram chat of around 200 ticketless fans. He was also the member of separate chat group with 500 members called “the Wembley Jib”, and was aware of another two other groups including one with 800 members.

Pablo drove down from the Midlands with nine ticketless friends in two cars. All but one of them got in to see the game. He took £250 in cash to pay officials but did not need to use it.

Last week images of real tickets were shared on the chat group, which members used to forge in their own names. Pablo and his friends used such fake tickets to get past a first security check at about 5.15pm. He then regularly checked the Telegram chat for updates on where security had been breached.

Members on the chat claim they had got in by bribing stewards for as little as £20. One member said he got in after paying a steward £120. In an audio message on the chat heard by the Guardian, the man explained how the steward had told him to “put the money in my pocket as I’m patting you down”. The man said: “It was probably more than he earned on that shift. Money talks.”

Pablo said: “A lot of stewards seemed more than willing to help. We offered one £200 to let five of us in. At about quarter to seven, we were waiting for the steward’s mate to show up and that’s when we saw a disabled door open so we just ran through.”

“Every time a disabled entrance was opened there must have been 300 people who got in. And it seemed that every 10 minutes one got yanked open. And that doesn’t count the people who bribed stewards or went behind someone in the turnstiles. I would be shocked if there was less than 5,000 got in without a ticket.”

He added: “When we got in everyone was chanting ‘jib, jib, jib’ up the escalators. We found five empty seats. A family came and one of us was sat in their seat, and they seemed a bit moody, but we just moved along one and no one else came.”

In reference to video showing fans attacking ticketless fans who breached security, Pablo said: “We didn’t harm anyone. The people causing the trouble were the ones fighting ticketless fans.”

Asked how Wembley could stop similar breaches Pablo said: “If there were four of five police officers behind each disabled entrance, that would deter people. Stewards aren’t enough to put you off. But Wembley probably won’t be jibbed on that scale again unless we get the World Cup in 2030.”

An FA spokesperson said a full investigation will take place, in collaboration with police. “The security and stewarding numbers for the final exceeded the requirements for the match and were greater than any other previous event at Wembley stadium,” the spokesperson added.

6 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

One of the organisers of the storming of Wembley by thousands of ticketless fans has defended the widely criticised breach, as more details emerged about the scale of the security lapse.

Pablo (not his real name), a 24-year-old from the Midlands, was one of the administrators of a Telegram chat group of hundreds of ticketless fans who shared tips about getting into Sunday’s final. Hours before the kickoff those who succeeded advised those still outside on where breaches had been made, he explained.

Speaking to the Guardian he gave details of how he and about 300 fans entered via a disabled entrance in block K, and he claimed others bribed stewards to get in. He estimated that at least 5,000 entered without a ticket.

Pablo said he decided to join the so-called “Wembley jib” or entering without a ticket, after trying every day last week to get a legitimate ticket.

He said: “I just thought my Dad is 52 and he’s never seen England in a final at Wembley. And it might never happen again in my lifetime. There were 30,000 spare seats, and we didn’t sit in anyone’s seat.”

Pablo set up a Telegram chat of around 200 ticketless fans. He was also the member of separate chat group with 500 members called “the Wembley Jib”, and was aware of another two other groups including one with 800 members.

Pablo drove down from the Midlands with nine ticketless friends in two cars. All but one of them got in to see the game. He took £250 in cash to pay officials but did not need to use it.

Last week images of real tickets were shared on the chat group, which members used to forge in their own names. Pablo and his friends used such fake tickets to get past a first security check at about 5.15pm. He then regularly checked the Telegram chat for updates on where security had been breached.

Members on the chat claim they had got in by bribing stewards for as little as £20. One member said he got in after paying a steward £120. In an audio message on the chat heard by the Guardian, the man explained how the steward had told him to “put the money in my pocket as I’m patting you down”. The man said: “It was probably more than he earned on that shift. Money talks.”

Pablo said: “A lot of stewards seemed more than willing to help. We offered one £200 to let five of us in. At about quarter to seven, we were waiting for the steward’s mate to show up and that’s when we saw a disabled door open so we just ran through.”

“Every time a disabled entrance was opened there must have been 300 people who got in. And it seemed that every 10 minutes one got yanked open. And that doesn’t count the people who bribed stewards or went behind someone in the turnstiles. I would be shocked if there was less than 5,000 got in without a ticket.”

He added: “When we got in everyone was chanting ‘jib, jib, jib’ up the escalators. We found five empty seats. A family came and one of us was sat in their seat, and they seemed a bit moody, but we just moved along one and no one else came.”

In reference to video showing fans attacking ticketless fans who breached security, Pablo said: “We didn’t harm anyone. The people causing the trouble were the ones fighting ticketless fans.”

Asked how Wembley could stop similar breaches Pablo said: “If there were four of five police officers behind each disabled entrance, that would deter people. Stewards aren’t enough to put you off. But Wembley probably won’t be jibbed on that scale again unless we get the World Cup in 2030.”

An FA spokesperson said a full investigation will take place, in collaboration with police. “The security and stewarding numbers for the final exceeded the requirements for the match and were greater than any other previous event at Wembley stadium,” the spokesperson added.

Well, this is how tragedies start. 

• Like 3

Ouch..my head hurts, that was some party...contrary to what some say, at this time of year we are the land of the midnight sun with 21 hours of daylight, meaning that when the schools are on holiday the kiddies can play outside on their bicycles well into the evening, and the street parties across Scotland lasted well into the wee sma` hours. When Italy equalised the roar almost blew all the Italian bunting off the pub roof and indeed the rood itself,the roar must have been heard in lands end. Earlier someone mentioned sour grapes, plenty grapes fermenting now for you.

It was so good to have a ref. who was savvy to the diving exploits of con kane,sterling and to a lesser extent last night, maguire, good officials like this is the only way to stop it, but unfortunately their league does not have that many good refs.

It was only a few days ago that england were handed a UEFA fine because of their "fans", last night those "fans" did not fail to deliver yet again. Booing the anthem, breaking into the stadium,assaulting srewards,assaulting police, obviously fines do not work so it is time to take decisive action like in the 1980`s and impose a ban period. The fans at the match must have been a real disappointment to the team, a big final like this and they should have been with them all the way to get them a result, but despite the best possible start, they were dead quite within 15 mins, same second half wee burst of noise/energy just after half time then dead quiet within 10 mins this time, they showe a little sign of coming to life in the second half of extra time, but it was too little too late, and this transmits to the team on the field.

I understand maguire is claiming an assist for the england goal, and the corner he gave away, as the ball skewed off his hoof, was all part of the plan. It was a well taken goal, not an easy chance, and I am please for shaw as he has had a long difficult time and this is just reward for all his hard work to get back to where he was, england MOTM and probably the tournament for me was rice, he ran himself to a standstill protecting the donkeys, snuffing out fires and trying to drive his team forward by taking the game to the opponents, if only his team mates had shown half his committment they MAY have fared better, but if truth be told, had this been a boxing match the ref. would have stopped the contest mid way through the 2nd half. Gareth should stay on and get a medal from queenie.

Best fot Italy and MOTM was Verratti, even though he has had better games, he dictated play and everything went through him, Italy have been saving him through the tournament only giving him little over an hour in games, last night he went as long as he could and it is no coincidence that the best spell england had was after he went off.

Best game of the tournament by far was the Italy v Spain semi-final, should have been the final, and biggest disappointment was France, who just did not have the interest to bother themselves.

Besides the goal by Italy, the high point of last night was seeing the huge Saltire flag amongst out Italian friends behind the goal.

2 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

It was only a few days ago that england were handed a UEFA fine because of their "fans", last night those "fans" did not fail to deliver yet again. Booing the anthem, breaking into the stadium,assaulting srewards,assaulting police, obviously fines do not work so it is time to take decisive action like in the 1980`s and impose a ban period.

This could damage the British Isles bid for the 2030 World cup, hosting the Semi Finals and Final was meant to show the rest of the world how well Britain can host a major tournament, somebody at UEFA may advise British Isles not to bid, or refuse to support such a bid.

In the middle of that article is the "experts" selection for Team of the Tournament....not too much to disagree with in their selection really, surprised top see maguire selected, but I suppose he was a bit more steady that usual, sterling probably just desreves his place for his displays up to the final, but if I was an england fan I would certainly feel short changed by his performance in the final...he just did not have the appetite for the fight. Like I said before, for me the best player for england was rice, he was a consistent 8 or 9 every game and I would have found a place for him in the team.

1 hour ago, dr winston oboogie said:

In the middle of that article is the "experts" selection for Team of the Tournament....not too much to disagree with in their selection really, surprised top see maguire selected, but I suppose he was a bit more steady that usual, sterling probably just desreves his place for his displays up to the final, but if I was an england fan I would certainly feel short changed by his performance in the final...he just did not have the appetite for the fight. Like I said before, for me the best player for england was rice, he was a consistent 8 or 9 every game and I would have found a place for him in the team.

agree Rice worked his socks of all through, but i also thought Stones had a good tournament better than mcguire i thought, thought Kyle Walker was lucky to get in that team good chasing back but is passing was awful most of the time

I think Maguire deserved his place on the basis of the hardest camera-destroying penalty I've ever seen

• Haha 1

Head coach of the tournament ? Certainly not Southgate. He was given a real lesson by Mancini in the final. Some might say he was tactically humiliated by the Italian. Once RM realised after 20 minutes what was going wrong, he started to change things. They were back in the game by half time albeit still losing.

The second half was one way traffic. RM started making good substitutions to freshen things up, using his full quota during the hour from 55 minutes onwards.

As extra time started, Southgate unbelievably didn’t make one single change despite being overrun for the previous 45.

The rest, as we know, is history. Let us English not fall into the trap thinking we will use this tournament as a stepping stone to lifting the big one in Qatar. No chance. The team is being coached by an ex centre half…..no attacking mindset, no use of flair players, often 8 defensive players on the pitch.

Really the best thing that could have happened after the defeat would have been for ‘Handbrake’ to have resigned. Instead, I believe he has himself (or will have soon) a new contract.