Greasy Lake Community

92-pressent, I was wrong!

Listen moore and moore to songs from that era and really start to enjoy them in a bigger way than before, I use be one of thoose "it was better in..,but as a roll into my 50th birtday I enjoy the post 88 stuff moore and moore, at least the live stuff, its almost like re-discovering a new artist in a way. I just loved the first post-Danny show from 08, and im thinking of buying the latest release. I mean even Mans Job, I wich I were blind spins around in my mind from time to time, the last one could have been recorded by Elvis himdelf!

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I was wrong too, about the 92 stuff, and still don't listen to Human Touch as much as I should. But listen to Lucky Town all the time. Now for the Tunnel stuff, I still can't get into that album or tour. I have most all Bruce's archive series, but don't have TOL, TGOTJ or DD tours at all. And love both 92-93 archive shows. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

The 92/93 tour will always remind me of the final song, Bruce singing My Beautiful Reward with his arms outstretched wide and under a spotlight. It was a sight to behold. I went home from the shows I saw with that image In my head, and it stayed with me. 

Thats really a gospelsong in a sense.

The following is just my opinion...feel free to disagree.

Listening to Human Touch for the first time in years last week, how I wish Bruce would have just released one album at that time instead of the two he did release on the same day in 1992. Human Touch remains to this day in my opinion the only genuinely poor album he has ever done. If he had just taken four of the songs from that album....Human Touch, I wish I was blind, With every wish and Real World...and included the outtake Happy which ended up on Tracks...then taken five songs from Lucky Town, the title track, If I should fall behind, Better Days, Book of Dreams and My Beautiful Reward, he would have had another solid, excellent 10 song album instead of the sub par two albums we ended up with. It's all well in hindsight but I can't help thinking that would have worked so much better.

As for the tour, I saw two shows. One at Wembley Arena in July '92 and the other one at the SECC Glasgow in March '93. Both were decent shows, but not on the same par as his usual live shows. Part of the problem was they were playing much of the material from the two records, and also playing sub standard versions of the classics. The musicians were just not up to scratch in my view, and it almost felt like you were watching an average Springsteen tribute band onstage. 

That early 90's period just didn't work for me. He clearly had some writers block at the time, partly due no doubt to so much change going on in his life at the one time to focus enough on the music. Breaking up the E Street Band, moving to California, marrying for the second time, starting a family etc. The one good thing about moving to the West Coast was that he read Steinbeck and consequently got the idea to record The Ghost of Tom Joad, an incredible record which stands as a beacon of light in his 1990's output.

• Like 2

I agree that Bruce should have made one album instead of two, there was certainly enough good material for a solid single album. Human Touch is easily Bruce’s most dated album in terms of production. Its also way too long. The song writing is without a doubt superior on Lucky Town.  

I enjoy listening to the 92/93 shows, since most of the songs from HT/LT are better live. Watching clips from these shows is kind of awkward though. Hearing the old classics with the other band is also weird. I think at the time Bruce just wanted to try something different and was burnt out with the E Street Band. Thankfully we got the awesome reunion tour later :)

This may be an unpopular opinion but I’d take Human Touch and Lucky Town over Ghost of Tom Joad most days.

• Love Love Love! 1
15 minutes ago, Declansk said:

This may be an unpopular opinion but I’d take Human Touch and Lucky Town over Ghost of Tom Joad most days.

Every day for me! Lucky Town is one of my top 5 albums. While I'd be crazy to rank Human Touch that high, I do agree that it has lots of great songs I just don't like the production of the album.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Listening to Human Touch for the first time in years last week, how I wish Bruce would have just released one album at that time instead of the two he did release on the same day in 1992. Human Touch remains to this day in my opinion the only genuinely poor album he has ever done. If he had just taken four of the songs from that album....Human Touch, I wish I was blind, With every wish and Real World...and included the outtake Happy which ended up on Tracks...then taken five songs from Lucky Town, the title track, If I should fall behind, Better Days, Book of Dreams and My Beautiful Reward, he would have had another solid, excellent 10 song album instead of the sub par two albums we ended up with. It's all well in hindsight but I can't help thinking that would have worked so much better.

Where does Seven Angels work into this album? ;)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Declansk said:

good god it sure is unpopular with me. as said one cracking  album could have been made out of two decent albums but Tom Joad is pure genius

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Declansk said:

Yes. And not most days, but all days. Is it really an unpopular opinion?

3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Where does Seven Angels work into this album? ;)

And 30 Days Out! Both replacing the last 3 HT songs (in a different sequencing of Side 2, with also Christic Institute version of Real World replacing the HT version).

That's all.

A combined and shorten Album: 

1. Better Days

2. All or Nothin' At All

3. Leavin' Train

4. Seven Angels

5. My Beautiful Reward

6. Souls of the Departed

7. Soul Driver

8. Living Proof

9. Human Touch

10. I Wish I Were Blind

11. Lucky Town

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

A combined and shorten Album: 

1. Better Days

2. All or Nothin' At All

3. Leavin' Train

4. Seven Angels

5. My Beautiful Reward

6. Souls of the Departed

7. Soul Driver

8. Living Proof

9. Human Touch

10. I Wish I Were Blind

11. Lucky Town

...And this is mine:

1. Better days
2. Human touch
3. Leap of faith
4. Roll of the dice
5. If I should fall behind
6. Lucky town
7. Man's job
8. Living proof
9. I wish I were blind
10. My beautiful reward

• Like 2

Perhaps no surprise that I rate both LT and HT far above Joad but the former pair are far too different in sound to merge for me.  I would still have released both.  Lucky Town is an awesome album as it stands but I would drop the following from Human Touch:

Real Man, Pony Boy, Cross my Heart

and replace with

Seven Angels, Leavin Train, Trouble River,

I would then switch the album version of 57 Channels for the Little Steven remix version.

Only regret is not being able to make room for 30 Days Out... so would make this the b side to the first single...

In hindsight maybe he should have re-arrange some of the old material for the 92-93 tour and skip the mega clasic? I mean,  From Small Things maybe, or keep You CanLook as it sounded in 88, but its kind of hard to mix material from the past thematicly with the nea-gospel of a newborn man with family in one show.

13 hours ago, Lazy Cat said:

In hindsight maybe he should have re-arrange some of the old material for the 92-93 tour

More re-arrangements like the one-off Hungry Heart from the 'warming up' radio broadcast show in Los Angeles.

The acoustic version of Thunder Road from this tour can be considered a sort of re-arrangement; also with changing the lyric 'all the boys you sent away' to 'all the men you sent away'. And of course the acoustic mini-set in 1993; all attempts to do on the one hand something different, then on the other hand playing ESB classics in far inferior versions by the 1992-1993 band (not to blame on that band). And with songs from the last album before HT/LT missing in action (except Brilliant Disguise).