Greasy Lake Community

As I said, sitting behind the stage at that show gave me a completely new perspective on things...some of the small things I didn't realise before that happens before and during every show. The amount of unseen work which is going on constantly during the show.

I was able to see some of the stuff that goes on pre-show as well, and also the work the guitar techs and video people do.

About an hour before show time I saw Nils showing a couple all his guitars all lined up together, and there must have been about a dozen of them.

The teleprompter screens....Bruce has one, Steve has one...and surprisingly to me, Max has one as well.

The guitar techs have a difficult job, they never stop moving about, getting stuff ready.

When the band were coming off at the end, we could see Bruce with all the towels wrapped round his neck, and he looked up and waved at all of us and blew kisses.

Charlie had loads of sheet music. He had not long joined the band, and had to learn so much material very quickly. He is quite tall.

Seeing the band all working together at such close proximity from behind the stage, and just how much Bruce is in complete control of everything was something to behold..

Apart from all that it was an awesome show, and the Magic tour was a great success.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, MacBruce said:

The teleprompter screens....Bruce has one, Steve has one...and surprisingly to me, Max has one as well.

Max’s screen (which sits just above his bass drum) is visible throughout the Hyde Park film. From memory, it alternates between showing lyrics and the screen feed (typically when Bruce is on the B stages). 

Yeah what a great week+ that was, I went to the shows in Antwerp, Cologne, Paris and of course the O2 in London where I had managed to secure about 20 (great) seats for family and friends on both sides of the arena in the lower tier blocks near the front/stage. Can't beat indoor shows overall and never would have thought (that night) that we would be here all these years later and Bruce & ESB would not yet have returned to the O2 Arena!, (mainly because their popularity has only increased in the interim and we are therefore stuck with stadiums & fields - and after all of this the desire will be such that I don't see that changing - in general - next time out, although another visit to Europe at that time of year - barnstorming - would be great!, and the only way perhaps that we could hope for multiple indoor shows!?). Saw Rob Brydon carrying beers in from the bar that night and I'm sure there must have been lots of celeb fans in attendance.........it seems even more of a big deal now than it did at the time!

Apart from that other (great) barnstorming night at Wembley Arena you have to go back to the Reunion Tour for UK indoor ESB shows! - jeez that Reunion Tour was special - we did 34 shows in 7 countries over the 15 months (with 3 x USA trips) from the opening 2 in Barcelona to the last 2 nights at MSG, NYC and they were ALL indoors apart from 2 nights in Berlin which whilst they were outdoors they were in a small venue within a park (smaller than many of the indoor venues in the States, or indeed MEN & Earls Court). We obviously didn't know at the time that this would not be how it would continue going forward, certainly not in Europe, and that was in part what made the Xmas O2 show such a treat!............a treat we all hope will be repeated "one day"?

• Like 2

I dropped my ticket that I had put in my back of my jeans' pocket on the outskirts of the 02.  Fortunately a few minutes later i realised and retraced my steps and found it in a puddle!

Great night even allowing for the shortened Magic era setlists.

1 hour ago, Growin' Up said:

I dropped my ticket that I had put in my back of my jeans' pocket on the outskirts of the 02.  Fortunately a few minutes later i realised and retraced my steps and found it in a puddle!

PHEW!!!!!

2 hours ago, Growin' Up said:

Great night even allowing for the shortened Magic era setlists.

Wow thats a close one!

It was a great show, although I remember it being very cold in the queue to go in. 

That picture of Bruce and Steve with the Xmas headgear always makes me smile. Didn’t a young girl down the front give Steve the ear muffs? The pair of them never turn down the opportunity to wear silly hats.

We found ourselves standing next to and chatting with Sarfraz Manzoor. He pointed out his friend up in the seats who I now realise was Gurinder  Chadha. 

When they played Racing I got over excited (my first time hearing it live with the band) and started slapping the guy in front of me on the back, ‘cos we’d been discussing songs we were hoping to hear before the show and that was mine. If that was you, sorry about that! :D:ph34r:

21 minutes ago, LongTallSally said:

It was a great show, although I remember it being very cold in the queue to go in. 

That picture of Bruce and Steve with the Xmas headgear always makes me smile. Didn’t a young girl down the front give Steve the ear muffs? The pair of them never turn down the opportunity to wear silly hats.

We found ourselves standing next to and chatting with Sarfraz Manzoor. He pointed out his friend up in the seats who I now realise was Gurinder  Chadha. 

When they played Racing I got over excited (my first time hearing it live with the band) and started slapping the guy in front of me on the back, ‘cos we’d been discussing songs we were hoping to hear before the show and that was mine. If that was you, sorry about that! :D:ph34r:

It was the first time I'd heard Racing live too. Very emotional.  We were up in the gods and a couple of women in front of us didn't stop yakking :angry: First time hearing WOASD live too - the way it should ALWAYS be sung ;)

15 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

It was the first time I'd heard Racing live too. Very emotional.  We were up in the gods and a couple of women in front of us didn't stop yakking

Oh that is such a pet hate of mine! When I went to the 2 nights at Crystal Palace night 1 we were down on the floor in the crowd but on night 2 we had someone with us who just couldn't stand for that period of time (and is also short) so we were up in the seats. There were 2 guys behind us who had been chatting non stop - about bloody work (in the City I think!) - but A) for the most part the music drowned them out and B) I didn't want to start any bother (obviously) - BUT - when Bruce went in to Racing (always a gift) that was it - I turned to these two and said (with meaning and intent) "why don't you two go off to the pub - stick him on from the jukebox in the background - and talk about your 'kin work until your hearts content........some of us have come here to listen to HIM, not you!"   Bracing myself for the aggro that might ensue (but I thought sod it) they looked at each other - left the seats - walked down an on to edge of the pitch/track area - and carried on bloody talking and looking at each other, not the stage!!!, whilst Racing in the Street is unfolding and building before us!

It happens everywhere - but it happens a helluva lot more in London - there seems to be an element (too large of an element for my liking) whereby the artist / the event is just something that "their" night out that week, something that "their" social gathering is hung upon - something that they think "oh that might be cool", or "oh they might be worth going along to for a night out".........just an event that is on the social calendar or something that they daren't be around the water cooler on Monday and they hadn't been to! It is your misfortune (as a "fan") if you end up near them and it is one of the biggest problems / gambles of being in a "seat". These people probably eat the noisiest sweets (and lots of them) in the cinema as well ha!  My mate and I had it BIG TIME at Roger Waters Wall gig at the O2 a few years back - so bad that I went to customer services in the interval and told tham that they either needed to move us or there was going to be trouble during the first song after the break.........they moved us to similar seats on the other side of the arena (but a poor guy next to us had flown in from somehere in Europe for the show and this creten was just mouthing, loundly, all bloody night - telling his nephew who was with him about the fact that he had seen the original Earls Court Wall shows back in the seventies........what really got to us was that you just knew it was for everyone within ear shots benefit as well as his nephew - a gobshite!        

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Cameron J. McMenemy said:

This show would be a good live archive release in the future 

All 13 shows on the 2007 European Tour would be a good live archive release in the future.

• Like 1
Just now, Lampi said:

All 13 shows on the 2007 European Tour would be a good live archive release in the future.

Been listening to a lot of those lately. Playing the Milan show right now, it's fantastic. God damn it I miss concerts.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Perisic said:

Been listening to a lot of those lately. Playing the Milan show right now, it's fantastic. God damn it I miss concerts.

I was there standing in GA. Arguably the loudest crowd sung intro of Tenth Avenue ever captured on a recording. 
The Crystal Cat and Godfather CDs are good but several years later, a new source surfaced which was released by Anubis records called “Gypsy Biker”. It’s one of the best audience captures I’ve ever heard. 

On 11/24/2020 at 6:04 PM, janeymarywendy said:

It was the first time I'd heard Racing live too. Very emotional.  We were up in the gods and a couple of women in front of us didn't stop yakking :angry: First time hearing WOASD live too - the way it should ALWAYS be sung ;)

yea i ended up in the gods and I will never go back thought i was going to fall over, will be even worse now 13yrs(really!!!!) on, we had a couple puffing away on cigs not my fave venue

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I was there standing in GA. Arguably the loudest crowd sung intro of Tenth Avenue ever captured on a recording. 
The Crystal Cat and Godfather CDs are good but several years later, a new source surfaced which was released by Anubis records called “Gypsy Biker”. It’s one of the best audience captures I’ve ever heard. 

Didn't know Anubis released one, thanks for the heads up! 

18 hours ago, Lampi said:

Milan, Paris and London are very strong. Copenhagen (tour premiere of "The River"), Cologne and Belfast aren't far behind. I don't need to listen to Arnhem nor Mannheim (the latter was my first show on the tour) because of Bruce's condition. He wasn't anywhere near 100% and it showed in the set length.

1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Hi

Is there any chance you'd be able to share this please?

thanks!

2 minutes ago, mickb said:

Hi

Is there any chance you'd be able to share this please?

thanks!

I’ve got it on CD-R and just tried to rip the audio to FLAC but the disc comes up with a read error! I will request it on the bootleg collectors thread to see if anyone else has it. 

1 hour ago, Nick21 said:

Milan, Paris and London are very strong. Copenhagen (tour premiere of "The River"), Cologne and Belfast aren't far behind. I don't need to listen to Arnhem nor Mannheim (the latter was my first show on the tour) because of Bruce's condition. He wasn't anywhere near 100% and it showed in the set length.

My point was about the strenght and greatness of the entire leg, not about individual shows.

I saw Arnhem and Cologne in person and agree about that: Cologne was a better show than Arnhem; Arnhem was the show which was postponed 1 day because Bruce was ill. Cologne was one of the best shows I ever saw. However, saying a show is better than another because it is longer is nonsense (and also not my very personal experience).