Greasy Lake Community

Would you like to see a Bruce album with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra?

On 11/20/2020 at 5:59 AM, Frank said:

Do you want to hear the BTR stuff backed by an orchestra? It’s been out since 1977. Ask Jim Steinman. ;)

Live with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (French horn at 5:55 for Daisey ;)):

Speaking of the MSO, I love Elton's concert with them:

And needed or not, this freaking rocks:

So yes, I would love to see Bruce do this!

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, thank you.  I think if this happened I would have to write a song called “I Wish I Was Deaf.”  

No. This is what the estates of dead artists do. It's also what living artists do when they go down to the river of inspiration and the river is dry.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. And the words 'Drive All Night' and 'awesome' don't go together anyway. 'I could keep going'  ... some might argue that strings replacing the keyboard riff on Real

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, misty rain said:

Live with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (French horn at 5:55 for Daisey ;)):

Speaking of the MSO, I love Elton's concert with them:

And needed or not, this freaking rocks:

So yes, I would love to see Bruce do this!

Lets start a wish list set list thread for it 

I'll admit to having seen Andre Rieu four times.

The advantages (or disadvantages, depending on your point of you) of having an elderly mother.

He and Bruce both cover same song! :lol:

• Love Love Love! 1
14 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

I'll admit to having seen Andre Rieu four times.

The advantages (or disadvantages, depending on your point of you) of having an elderly mother.

He and Bruce both cover same song! :lol:

That :wub: 'like ' is for you taking your mum out 

• Thanks 1

An orchestral version of the Nebraska album might liven that dud of a recording up a bit although the full band live versions work fine for me. 

Othwerwise, no. It would be a pointless embellishment.

Oh no please not with the André Rieu orchestra. His ego is too big to share a stage with Bruce. I would prefer the Dutch Metropole orchestra far above Rieu. But that is something really personal.

I saw the Metropole orchestra a couple of times and twice with rock guitar player Steve Vai who also composed some songs for that concert. But this is one of my favorite tunes from Vai with orchestra. 

• Bruuuuce! 1

I think I'm in the NO THANKS camp - especially if we are talking about these sort of albums that have been rife in recent years of taking an artist (usually a dead artist although not all) and basically just adding some strings to the original recordings!? Nah!

A live concert with orchestral backing (maybe some years from now when E Street is no more) perhaps - that would be different I guess, that could be terrific in fact - but not just rehashing songs with strings on an album! 

There have been some interesting orchestra works (hell there's a couple of good WHO ones in Tommy back in the early 70's and more recently Classic Quadrophenia) and one of the most moving nights I ever had in the Royal Albert Hall (not helped by the fact my Ma was very ill at the time and would pass away Xmas Eve later than year) was Eric Clapton with an orchestra (conducted by the late Michael Kamen) - that was sublime - but that was a live performance in the ultimate venue for such a gig!, so it can be good/work!

A live version of Holy Mother from those shows (not this one - he did several nights and I have a specific one that I prefer but is very similar) will be played at my funeral (all my family are aware) :

Eric Clapton explained on Facebook the inspiration to write this song after watching Prince's film "Purple Rain" : 

"In the '80s, I was out on the road in a massive downward spiral with drink and drugs. I saw Purple Rain in a cinema in Canada. I had no idea who he was. It was like a bolt of lightning! In the middle of my depression, and the dreadful state of the music culture at that time it gave me hope. He was like a light in the darkness. I went back to my hotel and, surrounded by empty beer cans, wrote Holy Mother."

"Holy Mother"

Holy Mother, where are you?
Tonight I feel broken in two.
I've seen the stars fall from the sky.
Holy mother, can't keep from crying.

Oh I need your help this time,
Get me through this lonely night.
Tell me please which way to turn
To find myself again.

Holy mother, hear my prayer,
Somehow I know you're still there.
Send me please some peace of mind;
Take away this pain.

I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait any longer.
I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait for you.

Holy mother, hear my cry,
I've cursed your name a thousand times.
I've felt the anger running through my soul;
All I need is a hand to hold.

Oh I feel the end has come,
No longer my legs will run.
You know I would rather be
In your arms tonight.

When my hands no longer play,
My voice is still, I fade away.
Holy mother, then I'll be
Lying in, safe within your arms.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, BruceWho said:

especially if we are talking about these sort of albums that have been rife in recent years of taking an artist (usually a dead artist although not all) and basically just adding some strings to the original recordings!? Nah!

A live concert with orchestral backing (maybe some years from now when E Street is no more) perhaps - that would be different I guess, that could be terrific in fact - but not just rehashing songs with strings on an album! 

Overdubbing an orchestra onto existing tracks (as has been done with Elvis, Buddy, Roy O etc) is a non-starter, it just wouldn't happen.

If this was to happen at all, it would be new recordings of songs arranged for an orchestra. The new Neil Diamond album takes this approach, however Neil's songs are probably better suited to an orchestral arrangement in the first place.

It's hard to see any classic songs being improved, but that doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't be an enjoyable listen.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Im wondering about the difference between the yes and the no peeps

Do the yes people enjoy classical music more than the no people ?

I don't listen to a lot of classical but I have no problem with it.  I just don't want Bruce turning into Neil Diamond or Rod Stewart.

• Like 1