Greasy Lake Community

Saturday Night Live - 12 December

12 minutes ago, PattyC said:

They were rusty but not as bad as I expected after reading this thread. I know they wanted to play these songs live but I hope they don’t regret it. Not worth the risk, imo, with the numbers so high. 

I feel the same way, not worth the risk.

• Like 1

Ok, in my opinion, both songs were great after not hearing/seeing any live ESB for so long. 

As far as performance, rusty yes, but if you watch the extended interviews he did on the Tonight Show this week, the band is not great without an audience. 

Not having more than a week to practice(and I assume they only paracticed this week in the barn) it wasn't bad. 

Look at how bad the Stand Up for Hero's and the song with the Drop Kick Murphy's were.  One, Patti should stay off mike and off camera as she is not worth having there, tho I will give her credit, when she did the two broadway shows I saw, her duet was subdued, and I forget if she was subdued in the netflix show or not.

Im just happy to see bruce performing again and happy again.

I have watched the apple doc ten times in the last three days and I can't get enought of it, now I have to break out some concert dvds to keep the fix going.

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I remember Bruce saying more than a decade ago before the Super Bowl half time show performance how hard it was to get going for just two or three songs when they are used to playing for 3 hours. And that was just after two years of touring together at that time. Can’t be easy for them to turn a live performance tap on and off so quickly as they had to last night. 

I am sure they needed that live fix last night but 2 songs and I am betting they were ready for 3+ more hrs. Bruce has often sounded a bit off, rusty when doing shows like this. Last time on SNL he sounded rusty. At 71 though he still looks and sounds great I think, as does the rest of the band. Not to mention they didn't perform until after midnight and it has been 3 years since he performed like this. Rust is expected for sure. It just makes you want this damn virus gone even more now so we can get live shows again. We need it...Bruce for sure needs it! 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Watched it on DVR as we hate the show in general. Ghost was OK, expected more. But I'll See You In My Dreams was perfect. Even non fan wife liked it.

YouTube has both songs on under Saturday Night Live so you don't have to watch the rest of the show, as well as extended interviews from tonight show from earlier in the week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF1vDXI1BJM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LeoGetz said:

Isn't it safe to assume that they all had been tested several times prior to the performance?

Don’t even need to assume it: Patti noted the testing process (“spitting into a tube”, from memory) on Instagram earlier this week. 

• Like 1

I loved every second of it, mistakes and out of tune moments and all.  Yes, Ghosts was a little shaky.  But when was the last time we saw them all perform together live?!!!  They all seemed like they wanted to keep going, the energy was remarkable...you can see it all over Bruce's body.

I do have one criticism but I'll keep that to myself since it's been mentioned a few times already.  But I still loved this performance.

As far as Covid goes, I would think that they took all the precautions necessary.  But let's hope they all stay safe from it.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 2

9 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

I loved every second of it, mistakes and out of tune moments and all.  Yes, Ghosts was a little shaky.  But when was the last time we saw them all perform together live?!!!  They all seemed like they wanted to keep going, the energy was remarkable...you can see it all over Bruce's body.

I do have one criticism but I'll keep that to myself since it's been mentioned a few times already.  But I still loved this performance.

As far as Covid goes, I would think that they took all the precautions necessary.  But let's hope they all stay safe from it.

Best early Christmas present.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

Enjoyed it fine

Dreams was really really nice

Ghosts was pretty messy I won't lie - lots of energy and they were clearly loving performing together but it did feel  like a warm up rather than a polished performance - and that goes for the band and not just Bruce (though he really was straining on a lot of those notes)

Glad they got together to perform cause it could be another 18 months before they can go onstage again and seeing Nils and Stevie did put a big smile on my face

I can't complain really but I was slightly dissappointed by the performance

26 minutes ago, Growin' Up said:

On the performance of Ghosts; what the hell happens around the 3.53 mark?

Even the stand-in bassist looks slightly embarrassed to be a part of it. 

I didn't notice it the first (and only) time I watched it. Now you've made me watch it again :lol:

I agree that Bruce was not at his best.  Two things:

1. He is 71 years old. 

2. He is rusty. Agree 100% with that sentiment. 

Above said, it was fantastic to see the joy they took in their performance. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Ghosts will be a firecracker live, once they get it down. Dreams was very good. 

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

6 hours ago, PattyC said:

They were rusty but not as bad as I expected after reading this thread. I know they wanted to play these songs live but I hope they don’t regret it. Not worth the risk, imo, with the numbers so high. 

Yes its a worry now