Western Stars or Letter To You?

Western Stars or Letter To You?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you prefer?

• Western Stars
    • Letter To You
    • Can't decide

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/14/2020 at 08:49 PM

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Letter to You. Unless I’m having trouble sleeping, then it’s Western Stars.

I went for can’t decide because I love both albums equally, and they cannot be compared to eachother. 

*one-'orse race.

Posted Images

Letter to You is full of bangers start to finish and contains some of my favorite songs of the year easily, but while individual songs on Western Stars don't grab me as much as say, Ghosts or Priest, I find it a much more rewarding actual album experience. So I'm gonna have to go Western Stars for this one.

• Like 2

Went for LTY .Both are very good.Just at this point i personally prefer LTY. It has fewer/hardly any songs i skip unlike Western Stars.  If i were to compare song for song,prefer LTY for the first 7-8 songs but the last 4 of Western Stars 

• Like 2
On 12/2/2020 at 2:21 AM, Johnstown Company said:

Letter to you. I like Western Stars but theres nothing on it as good as One Minute You're Here, Burnin Train or I'll See You In My Dreams imo.

Largely agree, though i think that Stones,Hello Sunshine and Moonlight Motel are pretty good too

• Like 2

just back from a blustery hot walk to the shop while listening to LTY

i just love Letter to you in all its glorious entirity

its just so joyish to hear the ESB

and as much as i love the french horn and Glenn Campbell Letter to you in no way makes me want to lie on the train tracks 

• Like 1
On 12/2/2020 at 6:56 PM, stillilllife said:

*one-'orse race.

I do my deep thinking when I'm in bed and last night was no different. I don't know if anybody else has come up with the answer to the mystery of the missing 'h' ... but ...

He stuck it on the front of another word from another song ... 'Hime hitch hikin' all day long'.

You're welcome.

• Bruuuuce! 2
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, Eileen said:

I do my deep thinking when I'm in bed and last night was no different. I don't know if anybody else has come up with the answer to the mystery of the missing 'h' ... but ...

He stuck it on the front of another word from another song ... 'Hime hitch hikin' all day long'.

You're welcome.

:D

maybe it being the tech error he writes on some kind of evil electronic device and a slip of a finger chased the H from one song to another 

Well...Western Stars definitely has the better-crafted songs and one of the best songs he has ever written on it (Moonlight Motel). So that speaks for WS.

However, the joy of cranking a new E Street record is pretty much incomparable and like coming home.

So I'd say it really depends on your mood.

• Bruuuuce! 1
1 hour ago, NoneButTheBrave said:

Well...Western Stars definitely has the better-crafted songs and one of the best songs he has ever written on it (Moonlight Motel). So that speaks for WS.

However, the joy of cranking a new E Street record is pretty much incomparable and like coming home.

I think it’s fair to say Western Stars has some better crafted lyrics (I guess it’s fair to say whatever the hell you want. It’s just an opinion). If it was a poetry contest I would take Western Stars. Once the music starts, it’s no contest for me.

• Like 1

This is a difficult choice for me but for the following reasons; I look at it based on the movies that were released that give me a greater appreciation and depth of what Bruce was trying to convey on these albums.

Western Stars is a true look at himself and society as a whole.  Where they have been, where they are, and where they are headed.

Letter to you is a professional look at the same thing.  It almost felt like to me the letter was to the band and the fans for the 50 years of joy that music has brought to his life personally.  John Landau holding back tears said it all to me.  I see you in my dreams was a cinematic masterpiece.  It showed that as much as we hate it, the end is near.  When that is, nobody knows.  But you could feel the emotion in the room and see the Satisfaction in Bruce's face of a job well done.  It dears me up every and I told my daughter...

You play that song at my funeral please.

Enjoy the ride because at some point, the train stops and we have to get off.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Eileen said:

You're welcome.

Did you put something funny in your 'Orlicks? 

• Haha 2

l am thoroughly enjoying LTY . There are one or two average songs on there but overall it is an outstanding album.

however I remember the Bruce albums to compare Western Stars to chronologically just dropped off one by one as I grew to love the album . It easily put 21st Century Bruce output to bed - as does LTY, then for me it took out Tom Joad, HT LT and finally ToL . Making it is best album since BITUSA. So refreshing . 

LTY is still processing . Once again easily puts away best of 21st century output , but where it will sit finally for me is still undecided . 

ultimately however we appear to be in the midst of a golden sunset of his wonderful career and I am savouring every moment - and May it be a long long sunset .....

• Like 3
On 12/8/2020 at 11:09 AM, Thunder Roadie said:

l am thoroughly enjoying LTY . There are one or two average songs on there but overall it is an outstanding album.

however I remember the Bruce albums to compare Western Stars to chronologically just dropped off one by one as I grew to love the album . It easily put 21st Century Bruce output to bed - as does LTY, then for me it took out Tom Joad, HT LT and finally ToL . Making it is best album since BITUSA. So refreshing . 

LTY is still processing . Once again easily puts away best of 21st century output , but where it will sit finally for me is still undecided . 

ultimately however we appear to be in the midst of a golden sunset of his wonderful career and I am savouring every moment - and May it be a long long sunset .....

sunset is after all, only the begining of the night 

• Love Love Love! 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm late to the party but if I could still vote, I'd vote for WS. Even though the album isn't my cup of tea musically, I prefer it lyric-wise. Furthermore, unlike LTY, I find WS very solid and coherent as a whole.    

• Like 1
On 12/7/2020 at 2:46 AM, NoneButTheBrave said:

Yeah.

Songwise (and as a complete work) Western Stars is way out in front of most of what he’s ever done never mind LTY.

Letter To You is a real emotional grab though, packed with really good songs and incredible playing from the band.

• Bruuuuce! 1

Still don't get why these albums should be compared, as they are so different from each other.

Because they are the two latest albums, obviously, and because the last regular studio album before Western Stars was years ago, either Wrecking Ball or High Hopes (depending if you count High Hopes as a 'real' studio album, or a collection of outtakes); but it still does not make that much sense to compare them.

I would say Western Stars cannot be compared to any other Bruce Springsteen studio album, as it is so different from everything that came before (and after); does not even matter if you like WS or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Lampi said:

Still don't get why these albums should be compared, as they are so different from each other.

And I still dont get why some people mentioned this as I stated in the OP that they are totally different.I never asked for them to be compared and contrasted,I simply asked which do people prefer.

• 3 weeks later...

A happy optimistic summer day

All be it with a cold from and wind and rain (sun showers)

Too western stars for a walk because i felt like sleep joe's cafe

The live version with the orchestra

An absolutly beautiful listen

Would love to hear stones with the ESB

Bur by jello sunshine and moonlight motel the sun had gone behind a rain cloud and my sciatic hurt 

Lucky i had a clear picture in my mind of how great Bruce looked today 

Still love than rhinestone cowboy

Its that pick me up that's needed after all that complicating one's own and Bruce's mortality otherwise id be stepping out on front of a truck ! 

Wish Glen Campbell could have still been here to enjoy it