Western Stars or Letter To You?

Western Stars or Letter To You?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you prefer?

• Western Stars
    • Letter To You
    • Can't decide

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/14/2020 at 08:49 PM

On 5/17/2021 at 6:32 PM, 65pacecar said:

Dailey, you need this album:

Full bluegrass tribute to Bruce. 

65AE0A1C-F4B7-4253-9D1D-590EBB1DE288.jpeg

I have that one! Or had it, at least. Haven’t listened to it in well over a decade if I still have it.

• 2 weeks later...

For a good long stretch, Bruce Springsteen was a searcher, starting each new album with a question.

• What if what you do to survive kills the things you love?
  • Is there anybody alive out there?
  • Can you hear me?
  • Where’s the promise from sea to shining sea?

And then something changed. When Bruce began his eighth decade on the planet, his songs stopped seeking answers. Western Stars and Letter to You, his two most recent albums, couldn’t sound more different musically, but thematically they couldn’t be more similar.

Western Stars is full of lush, orchestral, finely-drawn character studies; Letter to You is intimate autobiography with a classic E Street sound. But both collections are keenly aware that the past holds more answers than the present, and the future is shrinking with each passing day.

Roll of the Dice: One Minute You're Here | E Street Shuffle

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, el sergio said:

For a good long stretch, Bruce Springsteen was a searcher, starting each new album with a question.

• Can you hear me?

And then something changed. When Bruce began his eighth decade on the planet, his songs stopped seeking answers. Western Stars and Letter to You, his two most recent albums, couldn’t sound more different musically, but thematically they couldn’t be more similar.

Western Stars is full of lush, orchestral, finely-drawn character studies; Letter to You is intimate autobiography with a classic E Street sound. But both collections are keenly aware that the past holds more answers than the present, and the future is shrinking with each passing day.

Thanks for the link

I listened to LTY twice today out walking

Its winter now but it was still just warm in the sun and some autumn leaves still cling to the trees 

When i really listen to the words i want to run home and grab hold of Gary and never let him or Borris (the possibly middle aged cat) go

Gary is almost Bruce's age 

I am fast approaching the age my dad died

One day soon i will be older than my dad

I don't know what happened or where the years have gone

All i know is i havn't seen enough of Bruce Springsteen 

Everything bodily wise aches now days, if i don't dye my hair i look like my dear  grandma 

I was always younger than Bruce, records behind everyone else, toiling away 'on the factory floor' with DOTEOT and The River

Now i just want to go back to WOAD and enjoy the end of summer 

You know Darkness turned 43 yesterday. 

And I believe you could take any tune off that album and put it on Letter To You, and it would be as fresh as it was 43 years ago? 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

16 hours ago, el sergio said:

• Can you hear me?

There is some truth to this, although I would say the change of theme began on WOAD, or there was probably even a hint of it with Girls in their Summer Clothes.   To be honest it depresses me a little bit, which is one reason I like the political stuff on Magic and Wrecking Ball... he's still got the fire in the belly, still pushing for a better future, even though it might not be *his* future.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Hmmmmm

The mysterious dot

Well, nothing mysterious actually. I had posted here a reply to a different topic. My bad…

• Haha 1

On the second year anniversary of Western Stars (do I have that right? It’s my sister’s birthday and I seem to remember it being released on her birthday) so I gave it a full listen today. Made me angry. Frustratingly bad to me because there are lyrics he could have made good songs out of. Oh well.

2 hours ago, Jertucky said:

On the second year anniversary of Western Stars (do I have that right? It’s my sister’s birthday and I seem to remember it being released on her birthday) so I gave it a full listen today. Made me angry. Frustratingly bad to me because there are lyrics he could have made good songs out of. Oh well.

Well still good for you for listeninh to it

I listen to the banjo record about once a year 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jertucky said:

@el sergio said further up the page about Bruce albums start with a question,the trouble with WS is that it's not Bruce asking the question it's me asking Bruce why did you ever think Hitch Hikin' should ever be committed to record?

As you say it is frustrating because there's potential there,it could have been a very good album,there's about half an album there as it stands,some things want taking back into the studio to be worked on & some need giving to someone who will drive out into the desert & bury them,I would love to hear the songs that he didn't use for the album,I refuse to believe that they can all be worse than some of the songs that are on there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, High As Hope said:

As you say it is frustrating because there's potential there,it could have been a very good album,there's about half an album there as it stands,some things want taking back into the studio to be worked on & some need giving to someone who will drive out into the desert & bury them,I would love to hear the songs that he didn't use for the album,I refuse to believe that they can all be worse than some of the songs that are on there.

That's how I feel about LTY.  :lol:

3 hours ago, High As Hope said:

@el sergio said further up the page about Bruce albums start with a question,the trouble with WS is that it's not Bruce asking the question it's me asking Bruce why did you ever think Hitch Hikin' should ever be committed to record?

My favorite song (or maybe second favorite after Tucson Train) is Somewhere North of Nashville. I would guess that song probably spent the least time being produced, though it certainly could have benefitted from another verse or two. 
I would say overall, too much time was spent in the studio on the album. 8 years is a long time to tinker with the songs.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, High As Hope said:

All through the summers of ’64, ’65, ’66 and ‘67 I’d hitchhiked the twenty miles from Freehold to Manasquan and back almost every day. I’d ridden with concerned moms, drunk drivers, truckers, street racers eager to show off what they had under the hood, traveling businessmen, and only one middle-aged salesman who was a little too interested in me. I’d hopped in with guys who had souped-up sound systems with echo chambers connected to their AM radios, “in-car” 45 record players set on springs under the dash near the shifter. Every sort of rube, redneck, responsible citizen and hell-raiser the Jersey Shore had to offer, I rode with ’em. I loved hitchhiking and meeting people. I miss it today. — Bruce Springsteen, Born to Ru

There’s an argument to be made (and I would make it) that Western Stars  is Bruce Springsteen’s most cinematic album. If so, “Hitch Hikin'” is its overture. Roll of the Dice: Hitch Hikin' | E Street Shuffle

You are posing a good question, so why don't you contact Ken Rosen (aka the E Street Shuffle blog), he is the original writer of that article about Bruce albums which start with a question and the thoughts about Hitch Hikin' : Contact Us | E Street Shuffle

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jertucky said:

My favorite song (or maybe second favorite after Tucson Train) is Somewhere North of Nashville. I would guess that song probably spent the least time being produced, though it certainly could have benefitted from another verse or two. 
I would say overall, too much time was spent in the studio on the album. 8 years is a long time to tinker with the songs.

You have favourites ?  :lol:

Well i guess so

I quite like FOUTR & OAN from Live in Dublin 

6 hours ago, el sergio said:

There’s an argument to be made (and I would make it) that Western Stars  is Bruce Springsteen’s most cinematic album. If so, “Hitch Hikin'” is its overture. Roll of the Dice: Hitch Hikin' | E Street Shuffle

It's not a favourite with me, and I dislike the strident brash tone of Bruce's voice on it.  But this is the protagonist as a confident young man who has his life before him and everything is possible.  It's the beginning of the story, so it has to come first. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

You have favourites ?  :lol:

Well i guess so

I quite like FOUTR & OAN from Live in Dublin 

I guess some songs might be more enjoyable if they weren’t ensconced in the other stuff on the album. As an entire product it’s pretty horrendous but some of the parts might be better as part of a different whole.

• Like 1