Greasy Lake Community

December archive: London, 24 November 1975

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Listening now through my trusted Bowers and Wilkins PX headphones and it is phenomenal. What a release this is. My collection just got enhanced beyond belief. 

Firstly, PRETTY FLAMINGO! Secondly, review!  https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2020/12/06/new-from-the-springsteen-archive-november-24th-1975-london-uk-hammersmith-odeon/ - Hope it's worth yo

Incredible to think that there were 60 archive releases before they felt it time to unleash this absolute treasure. Hopes now raised that the well has run far from dry in this series.  

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Lampi said:

Seems you both missed the news it was confirmed L.A. 20 August 1981 was not (professionally) recorded?

Which would not completely rule out a soundboard recording.

Who confirmed no 8/20/81? You have a link? Source? thanks

Gave this a couple good listens over the weekend, in between my never ending repeat play of LTY. 

But the 2 December 1980 shows and the 2 Passaic shows are still better. Plus I would put this one right below the 75 Tower show also! 

I'm biased from being at 12/31/80, but 11/24 crushes 12/31/75.

12/31/75 isn't even the best of the stand, 12/30's set/performance is far superior to 12/31/75. Three more songs, including Wear My Ring and For You in the encores. I understand 12/30 is not part of the archives, yet.  So let's compare 11/24 & 12/31.

11/24 four more songs than 12/31, and no Steve disappearing during the last 12/31/75 encores. 

Most importantly, they are not on a mission 12/31/75 like they are on 11/24. 

• Like 2

Perennially late to the party as ever but have only just found time to download and listen to this...

A magnificent addition to the archive programme.  Crushingly good performance, great setlist and it sounds tremendous.  Was never that happy with the shit hot and rockin boot so feel I am really hearing the show for the first time and as good as night one was, this is stunning; easily the best 1975 show to date.  Miami Steve was on fire during the BTR tour.

It does not sound as good as the Clearmountain mixed Sony release but it was never, ever going to, and taken in that context, it sounds really good.  If you had to bottle and distil the essence of rock n roll, you could do worse that Carol from this release.  So good it might even make Oscar the grouch smile ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, Pigalle said:

Having listened to this, and wonderful as it is, and having listened to Hammersmith 1 this morning, am I the only person who thinks that Hammersmith 1 is a more enjoyable listening experience?

I don’t think you are the only one, but I believe your opinion is definitely the minority one.  Consider this from Brucebase: “Bruce's first show outside North America was turbulent. Before the show Springsteen tore "Finally London is ready for Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band" promotional posters from the walls - furious with the hype and publicity. The controversy clearly affected the performance as the DVD shows a somewhat sombre Springsteen, not the usual livewire. His mood is perhaps most evident in the introduction to "The E Street Shuffle". Normally a rambling tale, Bruce tails off after just a few sentences, going straight into the song. The show is still intense however, with outstanding versions of "Lost In The Flood" and "It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City", amongst others.”

Brucebase once again, this time regarding 11/24 “Bruce's triumphant return to London is a completely different affair to his November 18 concert, an excellent performance with several extra encores including first tour appearance of Elvis's ‘Wear My Ring Around Your Neck’.”

Springsteen literally gave up during the E Street Shuffle rap on 11/18. That’s how tentative a show 11/18 is.  For those of us who grew up listening to those legendary E Street Shuffle raps from, to name a few, 8/15, 8/23, and 10/2, hearing Bruce surrender during the 11/18 E Street rap was anathema to us.

I’ll never forget listening to 11/24 the first time decades ago and being blown away; a tour de force where they played Six more songs than 11/18 and it sounds to me like 11/24 is one of those magical shows where the audience and the musicians become one and no one there wants the experience to end. Hence, an unprecedented Nine encores. I think most of us pick up on this and that’s why many of us, especially the older fans, love 11/24 and see it being far superior to 11/24.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

12/31/75 hurts my ears ....Like too compressed or something ? I am not even sure i have any idea what i am talking about.

But i do love this new one !!!!

W/ Apple's new $550 headphones it promises to make every note stand out, not sure it can fix some of the prior mixing botches by inc ;) :lol:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, zzcoolness said:

W/ Apple's new $550 headphones it promises to make every note stand out, not sure it can fix some of the prior mixing botches by inc ;) :lol:

I don’t get the deal with these earphones, because on one hand they’ll say that they will make every note stand out and then on the other they’ll promote Apple Music which is the equivalent of watching TV in standard definition - I imagine the majority of people will use these earphones to listen to Apple Music, therefore defeating the entire purpose of buying a decent set of earphones 

2 hours ago, zzcoolness said:

Real Man will still be shit even with those expensive puppies.

• Haha 2
On 12/5/2020 at 9:56 PM, Captain Chaos said:

Is this the one he (maybe mythically) had to be carried offstage from?

Yes, according to the Blinded By The Light book; Bruce carried offstage by the E Street Band.

Also, about the first show, so 18 November 1975: Bruce thinks the show is a total failure; critics agree with Bruce, saying Bruce Springsteen is nothing more than a 2nd rate or a 3rd rate Dylan.

And both Backstreets book and Blinded By The Light book say the second night was filmed, not the first night. All fake news indeed [except Bruce carried offstage by band].

Per Backstreets: "And it wouldn't be just the British press. Rolling Stone's 1/1/76 "Random Notes" column perpetuated the story of the night under the subhead "Blunder Road." After noting that Bruce "ordered that the boxes of 'I have seen the future of rock 'n' roll at the Hammersmith Odeon' buttons not be given out," the magazine reported: "Springsteen's pique seemed to carry over in his performance. He hardly moved around onstage; guitarist Miami Steve Van Zandt later said, 'I've never seen him so subdued.'… The next day critics also sniped at Springsteen's messiah build-up, though he got good reviews. Still, a British CBS executive thought Springsteen could have tried harder, saying, 'We were disappointed.'" (Italics added.)

Backstreets.com:Springsteen News  12/4/75

I take what Steve said at face value, not "fake news."  The circumstantial evidence overwhelmingly supports his opinion.

15 hours ago, BobbyJames said:

I don’t get the deal with these earphones, because on one hand they’ll say that they will make every note stand out and then on the other they’ll promote Apple Music which is the equivalent of watching TV in standard definition - I imagine the majority of people will use these earphones to listen to Apple Music, therefore defeating the entire purpose of buying a decent set of earphones 

Yeahh, that was my point the I think the majority (not everybody) of people buying these are the extreme apple fans, all to listen to apple music using their apple iPhone, with apple headphones. Such a shame when you pay 550 for them.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, BobbyJames said:

And the archive release is great sorry for my audiophile rant 

Not that I have any issues with this release, some of the other releases could be better and...

15 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Real Man will still be shit even with those expensive puppies.

On 12/8/2020 at 5:56 PM, Early North Jersey said:

12/31/75 hurts my ears ....Like too compressed or something ? I am not even sure i have any idea what i am talking about.

But i do love this new one !!!!

Absolutely spot on. I love the Upper Darby show but the recording gives me terrible ear ache after a few songs. Hammersmith 2 doesn’t have the same issues. 

• Like 2
On 12/5/2020 at 3:29 PM, Promise61 said:

Fortunately, we were all able to see and hear that first Hammersmith show for ourselves. Unanimously declared to be wonderful.

Marsh always slanted that Hammersmith show and hype negatively against Mike Appel. No surprise. I don't know if Marsh was actually there. 

Well, even a bad Springsteen show is good.  Hammersmith drags at the end.  The first official release of ANY '75 show was bound to be met with acclaim.  Springsteen's own liner notes reveal he thought the show wasn't great until he listened to it 30 years later. 

It's ok if the show isn't great, by the way.  If EVERY show is legendary than NO shows are legendary. 

On 12/8/2020 at 8:57 PM, Rumble said:

Per Backstreets: "And it wouldn't be just the British press. Rolling Stone's 1/1/76 "Random Notes" column perpetuated the story of the night under the subhead "Blunder Road." After noting that Bruce "ordered that the boxes of 'I have seen the future of rock 'n' roll at the Hammersmith Odeon' buttons not be given out," the magazine reported: "Springsteen's pique seemed to carry over in his performance. He hardly moved around onstage; guitarist Miami Steve Van Zandt later said, 'I've never seen him so subdued.'… The next day critics also sniped at Springsteen's messiah build-up, though he got good reviews. Still, a British CBS executive thought Springsteen could have tried harder, saying, 'We were disappointed.'" (Italics added.)

Backstreets.com:Springsteen News  12/4/75

I take what Steve said at face value, not "fake news."  The circumstantial evidence overwhelmingly supports his opinion.

Yo, baby.   

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2020 at 9:09 PM, jmw said:

Wonderful.

Hi, I have the CD burner thing, but I am really struggling with it, when I try to copy it plays the CD while coping it and sounds like it is jumping, I bought the one you recomended, it used to be so easy. Please can you help, Thanks.