Greasy Lake Community

The server is hungry - donations needed (updated Dec. 6)

>> I don't need convincing - take me to the donation page <<

Dear all,
I'm afraid it's that time again when the bill for this service we provide is due. Running a community this size requires a dedicated server, and that costs around $1,700 a year. That's a lot of money for an underpaid librarian like me, but for a community like ours with more than 200 registered members visiting on a daily basis, it's less than $10 on average for a full year of service if we all chip in. That, of course, is unrealistic, so donations of all sizes are highly appreciated. 

It's been a tough, tough year for most of us, I'm sure, and it's not over yet. We hope that this place - like Bruce's music - provides a little bit of distraction and relief from the harsh realities of the world. Hopefully, there is light at the end of the tunnel and, with that, some hope that - to paraphrase Bruce - we will all meet again and sing and dance together.

Part of that starts here, where we can plan together, get in touch with like-minded people all over the world to meet up with, share our excitement, and nitpick Bruce's every move. But  even though Greasy Lake has existed for more than 20 years, we can't be taken for granted. Keeping this place alive comes with a price, so if you enjoy what we have created here and would like to see it continue, please consider donating.

Thank you for anything you can spare. Every Dollar, Euro, Krone, Yen, etc. counts.

>> Ok, I'm convinced - take me to the donation page <<

----------

If you're having trouble with the link on your phone, try to rotate it to horizontal. Otherwise, if you want to pay via Paypal, use the below link.

Donate by Paypal

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am pleased to tell you that we have now reached the goal and that the bill is paid for another year. Thank you so much to everyone who donated! It's very generous of you, especially during these unc

I just wanted to thank everyone who's  donated. I feel really dreadful but i just can't right now, i bearly have two pennies to rub together and some big bills that need juggling  but my dea

Phew! No need to get a life for at least another year 

Posted Images

• CosmicKid changed the title to The server is hungry - donations needed (updated Dec. 6)

Thank you to those of you who donated so far. You're the best, and it's truly appreciated.

However, we are on a path to not reach our goal in time. I hate to beg for money. If I could I would just pay for all this myself, but I can't. So I really need more people to chip in. I know these are hard times for many, and if you just can't contribute, I understand. But in order for this site to continue, it is unfortunately necessary to raise more money.

I'm sorry to have to inconvenience you like this, but there is no other place that the money to run the server can come from than all of us who use the site. We have done it before and I'm sure we can do it again.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, CosmicKid said:

Thank you to those of you who donated so far. You're the best, and it's truly appreciated.

However, we are on a path to not reach our goal in time. I hate to beg for money. If I could I would just pay for all this myself, but I can't. So I really need more people to chip in. I know these are hard times for many, and if you just can't contribute, I understand. But in order for this site to continue, it is unfortunately necessary to raise more money.

I'm sorry to have to inconvenience you like this, but there is no other place that the money to run the server can come from than all of us who use the site. We have done it before and I'm sure we can do it again.

Done, as always thank you, and for the friendships I have made because of this place.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Eileen said:

How man! What with Andrew asking if I'm the 90 year old who got the first injection ... and now you and your emoji thingy.

A lass could take umbrage.

Looks a bit like @janeymarywendy...

I WAS going to back you up when Andrew made that naughty comment .... :D

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

I WAS going to back you up when Andrew made that naughty comment .... :D

Ah ... but you didn't. ;)

Your avatar reminded me that it was time for Tutter to make an appearance. Perhaps his happy, smiling face can help drum up some more pennies for the Lake.

• Hug 1

I just chipped in...

Thanks for keeping the site going and for helping to bring us all together.

Seasons greetings and the happiest of New Year's to all!

:)

• Thanks 1

For any of you feeling like "my small amount won't matter" that is actually the opposite of what is true.

There are a couple hundred of us that log in every day, and certainly 1000 different folks check in at least once in a week.

Even a $5 donation makes an impact when hundreds of people do the same.  It isn't generally people donating hundreds that cover this cost.

• Like 7