When a stranger came up and asked me
If I'd heard John Lennon had died
And the two of us
Went to this bar
And we stayed to close the place
And every song we played
Was for the Late Great Johnny Ace"

P.Simon

What happened after "close the place" is really frightening!

• Sad 4

40 years ago today I remember going in to school and hearing the news John Lennon had been shot dead. This was another JFK moment that shook the world. It seemed inconceivable that a Beatle who had touched the hearts of millions could be taken so cruelly from us.

At that time at aged 16 I just knew some of the Beatles and Lennon's songs. That night on TV it was wall to wall continuous coverage and I learned even more about him and the band he put together all these years ago. I have since read so many books and watched so many TV shows about both him and the Beatles. I became a huge Beatles fan and have had the great experience of visiting the Cavern Club in Liverpool and doing the Beatles tours. I was hoping to do another visit this summer with my 18 year old nephew who is also a huge fan, but Covid scuppered that...hopefully late next year or 2022. Basically whenever live music returns. In 1991 on my one and only visit so far to New York I went to the Dakota Building where he was shot and also visited Strawberry Fields, the garden of remembrance in Central Park. It was a very moving experience.

Ironically, I don't think I would have liked John Lennon much as a person. I get the impression he wasn't a particularly pleasant bloke. But I do admire very much great songwriters and artists who can create legacies which live on for decades, and Lennon certainly comes into that category. He left the world a wonderful catalogue of music and great songs.

Tonight I should have been going to see The Bootleg Beatles at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh as I do every year. It would have been a poignant night. His legacy lives on.

RIP John.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Hug 1
1 hour ago, MacBruce said:

40 years ago today I remember going in to school and hearing the news John Lennon had been shot dead. This was another JFK moment that shook the world. It seemed inconceivable that a Beatle who had touched the hearts of millions could be taken so cruelly from us.

At that time at aged 16 I just knew some of the Beatles and Lennon's songs. That night on TV it was wall to wall continuous coverage and I learned even more about him and the band he put together all these years ago. I have since read so many books and watched so many TV shows about both him and the Beatles. I became a huge Beatles fan and have had the great experience of visiting the Cavern Club in Liverpool and doing the Beatles tours. I was hoping to do another visit this summer with my 18 year old nephew who is also a huge fan, but Covid scuppered that...hopefully late next year or 2022. Basically whenever live music returns. In 1991 on my one and only visit so far to New York I went to the Dakota Building where he was shot and also visited Strawberry Fields, the garden of remembrance in Central Park. It was a very moving experience.

Ironically, I don't think I would have liked John Lennon much as a person. I get the impression he wasn't a particularly pleasant bloke. But I do admire very much great songwriters and artists who can create legacies which live on for decades, and Lennon certainly comes into that category. He left the world a wonderful catalogue of music and great songs.

Tonight I should have been going to see The Bootleg Beatles at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh as I do every year. It would have been a poignant night. His legacy lives on.

RIP John.

During the the Beatle years, John could get quite acerbic & had very little tolerance or patience being made to suffer fools. He was angry & bitter at the fact that other people and being a Beatle controlled his life & he began to detest it, and took his ire out out on others, his family, friends & bandmates. It took the break-up of the Beatles for him to mature as an individual, so much so that when his second son was born, he left the business and retreated to a life of domesticity and simplicity. He wanted nothing to do with the limelight. During those last years of his life, he grew as a person and started enjoying life as John Lennon, human being, not rock star Beatle John. One of the greatest ironies of his passing was that he also found his creative mojo and started writing music again. It was as though he had started a new chapter of his life and even got a kick out of hearing his music on the radio again. His life was taken at the point when he had made peace with his demons, his family, his friends and his former bandmates

What could have been, we will never know.

• Like 4

Lennon has always been an interesting case study in my own personal musical tastes. I cant ignore the genius of the man. There is quite a bit of his solo stuff I can live without. Then there are just absolute gems as well. He is the same category with a Dylan, Bowie type. Those that saw music as art and an experiment as well. Trying different things, sounds, noise etc. Some for me worked and some just did not. Its just a personal taste thing.

As a person I also found him to be kind of jerky in some ways. At the same time I was always amazed that a man who came out of the Beatles who had zero room to breathe, was so out and accessible in NY. Out in streets , freely walking amongst the masses. I think NYC gave him his comfort and freedom later on, which maybe exercised some of his demons. The irony was that accessibility became part of the story of his death. As Dan said the sad part was i his renewed drive in making music and his comfort in his own skin, cut short. 

The things he stood for still ring very true today. He is in a handful of folks I wonder what the world would be like if he were still here. Those that had an impact on culture, art and the way people listened and lived their lives. Princess Diana is in that category. Those people looked at for some cultural and political guidance and voice. 

40 years ago is hard to believe. 

• Like 3