Greasy Lake Community

Those are pretty great choices .... Honestly took me awhile to warm up to My City Of Ruins because i could never forget how this made me feel in September 2001.....I pretty much cried uncontrollably...But it is the most E Street Song by a mile on the "First E Street Band album in 18 years"

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Stuff off Western Stars included in the debate or E Street only?

I guess i was really thinking e street .....but i will admit while doing the quick rundown in my head of the best of the reunion era that Long Time Coming was thought of ...one of my favorites ...and while WS is not an album i see myself revisiting frequently it is a brilliant, cohesive piece of work .... so sure ....have at it

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

Those are pretty great choices .... Honestly took me awhile to warm up to My City Of Ruins because i could never forget how this made me feel in September 2001.....I pretty much cried uncontrollably...But it is the most E Street Song by a mile on the "First E Street Band album in 18 years"

I totally get that

CHCH earthquakes my city of ruins

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

Ghosts and I'll See You In My Dreams maybe my two favorite songs of the reunion era. Kind of amazing.

Disagreements expected and cheerfully received.

Have at it everyone.

Dedinatly not to forget LOHAD but im with you on this

Also I'd add the Rising just because i had no idea how popular it was and it was a delightfully surprise in Moncton when everyone and i mean practically everyone sung it

Even though i love most of Magic more than the Rising, its just too much of a great song for me not to mention it

• Like 1

Seems there are no clear rules yet, 2 songs, 3 songs? Not really enough, let's make it 5. But then, I could easily make a top 5 of greatest Bruce Springsteen songs from the Reunion Era with 5 Magic songs in it. And I think it is still a little bit early for Letter To You to fully compare with other albums. Also, If I Was The Priest is not a Reunion Era song; but the fantastic re-interpretation on Letter To You is; same for Electric Joad on High Hopes.

So. Make it more easy: 5 songs from 5 different albums. My City of Ruins, Radio Nowhere, Life Itself, Rocky Ground, Ghosts. With some hesitation for the WOAD song between Life Itself and The Wrestler.

I am going against the grain here as I know it gets a lot of love on here but Ghosts is just a Bruce/E-Street by the numbers song in my opinion. The lyrics aren't that great and his voice really grates at the beginning of the song. I skip it every time now unfortunately.

I'll See You In My Dreams is good but I actually think would have benefitted from being more stripped down as the lyrics are stronger but the melody and music is fairly run of the mill Bruce (all in my opinion of course). 

The other songs listed - LOHAD and MCOR - are much stronger lyrically and fresher sounding reunion songs. 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Seems there are no clear rules yet, 2 songs, 3 songs? Not really enough, let's make it 5. But then, I could easily make a top 5 of greatest Bruce Springsteen songs from the Reunion Era with 5 Magic songs in it. And I think it is still a little bit early for Letter To You to fully compare with other albums. Also, If I Was The Priest is not a Reunion Era song; but the fantastic re-interpretation on Letter To You is; same for Electric Joad on High Hopes.

So. Make it more easy: 5 songs from 5 different albums. My City of Ruins, Radio Nowhere, Life Itself, Rocky Ground, Ghosts. With some hesitation for the WOAD song between Life Itself and The Wrestler.

Is The Wrestler E-Street though? I thought that was just Bruce solo. I would defo consider it top 5 though along with Last Carnival and Moonlight Motel.

• Like 2

So many to choose from. An incredibly difficult choice to pick the best

The quality and volume of his post reunion era output has been phenomenal.

My top 5 in no particular order would probably be;

Moonlight Motel

The Wrestler

Paradise

Devil's Arcade

Jack of all Trades

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Stuff off Western Stars included in the debate or E Street only?

How can it not be? 'Western Stars' is a masterpiece on its own and the Grandson of "Tunnel Of Love” ... with that being said: YES - TOL is an ESB record! Period.

lol

Brad

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
9 hours ago, Seebab said:

I am going against the grain here as I know it gets a lot of love on here but Ghosts is just a Bruce/E-Street by the numbers song in my opinion. The lyrics aren't that great and his voice really grates at the beginning of the song. I skip it every time now unfortunately.

I'll See You In My Dreams is good but I actually think would have benefitted from being more stripped down as the lyrics are stronger but the melody and music is fairly run of the mill Bruce (all in my opinion of course). 

The other songs listed - LOHAD and MCOR - are much stronger lyrically and fresher sounding reunion songs. 

'Ghost’ is a great song that reminds me of what could have been a single in the late 80’s. 

My top 5 post-reunion songs ( in no particular order) would be The Rising, My City of Ruins, Long Walk Home, We Take Care if Our Own and Death to My Hometown.

Ghosts doesn't come close for me, sorry. Musically generic and lyrically clunky.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

My top 5 post-reunion songs ( in no particular order) would be The Rising, My City of Ruins, Long Walk Home, We Take Care if Our Own and Death to My Hometown.

Ghosts doesn't come close for me, sorry. Musically generic and lyrically clunky.

Crap .... i somehow forgot Long Walk Home ..... Have to expand my list to three songs

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Just so I know what we are talking about. Can someone list a few tunes from Bruce that is musically generic? 

Is good old fashion Rock n Roll generic? Is Badlands, Ties That Bind, We Take Care of Our Own generic? 

Yeah, in that case I don't see how We take care of our own is any less generic than Ghosts.

18 hours ago, Seebab said:

Is The Wrestler E-Street though?

The topic is about Reunion Era Bruce Springsteen songs, not only ESB. A little bit your own rules; like, as I said in previous post -not literally- I thought about including If I Was The Priest, but decided not to, because the song itself was not written in Reunion Era; saw someone else included it; and nothing wrong with that.

3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Just so I know what we are talking about. Can someone list a few tunes from Bruce that is musically generic? 

I think songs that are considered Bruce Springsteen-by-numbers; like, My Lucky Day, All Or Nothing At All, maybe Leap of Faith or Roll of the Dice, or even Ramrod, or From Small Things...; which are all good songs.

Maybe 'musically generic Bruce Springsteen songs' are 'songs not considered to be among the best Bruce Springsteen songs, but @Early North Jersey loves them!':D

• Like 1