Greasy Lake Community

The version of the opening night, 1984-06-29 - ST. PAUL CIVIC CENTER ARENA, ST. PAUL, MN, has been performed in the album style with the howls and yowls. The audience tape of this show is well worth seeking out because other 4 Nebraska songs also slightly differ. According to the praised Brucebase, three recording sources circulate: the first was released on CD 'Street Fighting Man' (RTC) from the Rockcat source. A second source of good quality is also available as CDR 'Opening Night Of The Born In The U.S.A. Tour' (Uber Series/Johnny98 from master tapes > DAT > DAT & Ev2) and is also used for CDs 'Opening Night In Saint Paul' (Hot Stuff) and 'Ready For The World' (Godfather). A third source was released from a first generation tape transfer of MS master (mjk5510), this source has cuts in "Glory Days" and "Working On The Highway" but contains patches, it also uses "Ramrod" from the Godfather release 

brucespring-ready1.jpg.c0b280d83585bb9ce527091d59986048.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, el sergio said:

The version of the opening night, 1984-06-29 - ST. PAUL CIVIC CENTER ARENA, ST. PAUL, MN, has been performed in the album style with the howls and yowls. The audience tape of this show is well worth seeking out because other 4 Nebraska songs also slightly differ. 

Also because of the first of only 2 BUSA Tour electric versions of No Surrender. The 2nd one was the 3rd night of the tour at the same venue. The rest of the BUSA Tour it was played acoustic, most famous of course the version on Live 1975/85. After these 2 perfomances, No Surrender was not played full band until 1999.

1 minute ago, Lampi said:

Also because of one of only 2 BUSA Tour electric versions of No Surrender. The 2nd one was the 3rd night of the tour at the same venue. The rest of the BUSA Tour it was played acoustic, most famous of course the version on Live 1975/85. After these 2 perfomances, No Surrender was not played full band until 1999.

I knew it was only played full band twice till 99, was there a difference between the two electric versions?

4 hours ago, zzcoolness said:

I knew it was only played full band twice till 99, was there a difference between the two electric versions?

I don't know if there was a difference.

On 12/18/2020 at 7:54 PM, burgessliam22 said:

I'm very against the electric version 

Ken Rose on his excellent estreetshuffle.com blog has reviewed the studio and all the live versions in detail:

"This is a story of a song that disappeared. On vinyl, it remains one of Bruce Springsteen’s finest songwriting achievements; on stage, it evolved into a fun but forgettable trifle. I speak of “Johnny 99,” of course. Bruce shows no sign of reverting back to his original arrangement of “Johnny 99.” He and the band clearly enjoy their modern arrangements too much to go back. And I’m sure that the next time I hear them play it, I’ll be right there with the woo-woos (train whistle audience response that started on the Working on a Dream Tour) myself. But in the back of my mind, I’ll be thinking about poor Ralph, locked away and forgotten."   Roll of the Dice: Johnny 99 | E Street Shuffle

Note: according to the studio logs on Brucebase, Johnny 99 might have been recorded in 1984 with the E-Street band on April 27th, April 28th and May 3rd (see data tabs on the bottom of this page Nebraska - Studio Sessions - Brucebase). The Electric Nebraska studio version can be as well the very same electric version now in use by the E-Street band, awaiting the long due Nebraska/BIUSA archival box for confirmation :mellow:

1174694417.jpeg.dc2f8bdf28abdbc4d94e904446e9ff95.jpeg

• Like 1

The live 75-85 versions of Johnny 99 and Reason to Believe are two of Bruce's most powerful and best renditions of any of his songs. For some reason, he chooses not to play them in this form, at least not for the last  30 odd years, anyway.

Mind you, he didn't play The Price You Pay, in any style, for even longer!