Greasy Lake Community

Darkness boxset announced

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With a thread about an empty cardboard box nearly onto 4 pages, imagine if he actually releases something 

Removing Sunny Days kids from Waiting on a Sunny Day is indeed great work.

Seems Jessica needs a new horse (or a new 'orse, if you want).

They can only remaster Agora and remove some of the compression to make it less ear bleedingly loud.  No way to remix as they only have a 2 track stereo master available. They have shown no real interest in getting the master multi-tracks from that museum in Cleveland or wherever it is now so it will never happen as much as we want it to. 

• Sad 2

Nice, I would have died for such a box twenty-five years ago (as for the whole 'archive' stuff). But nowadays live shows aren't my cup of coffee anymore.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Frank said:

Nice, I would have died for such a box twenty-five years ago (as for the whole 'archive' stuff). But nowadays live shows aren't my cup of coffee anymore.

Exactly the same here. I used to listen to live stuff over studio constantly.

That’s totally flipped in recent years. Funny how you change. 

• Like 1
On 12/18/2020 at 9:31 AM, jukeblue said:

So rather tantalisingly we're half way through?

Anyone care to hazard a guess at the other eight?

IF, IF there is a Darkness Volume 2 release, the publicly available evidence suggests, suggests, as JRC99 shared with me today, the following shows would be top contenders:

9/21 obvious

7/1  obvious

6/30? Would they have only multi-tracked the second show?

10/1 Would they have only multi-tracked the first show?

7/5 Would they have just multi-tracked Roxy with Forum show just 15 miles away two nights earlier and having just multi-tracked Berkeley four nights earlier?

7/8 Would they have filmed at least some songs without multi-tracked audio?

On a completely different basis, Fantasy-Land-prayer shows: Philly August, Garden August, Detroit/Saginaw September, Notre Dame September, Palladium September, Portland/Seattle December and Cleveland close out shows  

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Exactly the same here. I used to listen to live stuff over studio constantly.

That’s totally flipped in recent years. Funny how you change. 

Interesting, I'm the exact opposite.  I started out preferring the studio versions, but now I listen almost exclusively to live stuff, I like the edge to it.

• Love Love Love! 1
11 hours ago, Frank said:

I love the downloads but havn't even had time to listen to the last two because im still digesting the new album

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rumble said:

IF, IF there is a Darkness Volume 2 release, the publicly available evidence suggests, suggests, as JRC99 shared with me today, the following shows would be top contenders:

9/21 obvious

7/1  obvious

6/30? Would they have only multi-tracked the second show?

10/1 Would they have only multi-tracked the first show?

7/5 Would they have just multi-tracked Roxy with Forum show just 15 miles away two nights earlier and having just multi-tracked Berkeley four nights earlier?

7/8 Would they have filmed at least some songs without multi-tracked audio?

On a completely different basis, Fantasy-Land-prayer shows: Philly August, Garden August, Detroit/Saginaw September, Notre Dame September, Palladium September, Portland/Seattle December and Cleveland close out shows  

Im just happy we have more 78 shows to look forward to 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I love the downloads but havn't even had time to listen to the last two because im still digesting the new album

I'm now at a point where I can listen to something different then LTY on repeat! as this afternoon I listened to Foxbourgh 2016. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2
1 hour ago, hereforfun said:

Interesting, I'm the exact opposite.  I started out preferring the studio versions, but now I listen almost exclusively to live stuff, I like the edge to it.

I like the live stuff better also, unless there is a bunch of talking with it. Can't stand "live" Growin Up, 10th from Reunion and so on for that reason. I almost dislike the BITUSA archive shows because of it! Bruce had a story for almost every tune. 

• Haha 2
40 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I like the live stuff better also, unless there is a bunch of talking with it. Can't stand "live" Growin Up, 10th from Reunion and so on for that reason. I almost dislike the BITUSA archive shows because of it! Bruce had a story for almost every tune. 

In my early fandom I found Bruce's stories endearing but I'm done with them now. But I now have the technology and developed the skill to digitally edit and I do it extensively. So songs like Growin' Up get the clip. I like live performances but I have no use for the crowd. I do a lot of edits to get rid of crowd noise. If there was a magic app that could remove the crowd and not affect the music I would be all over it. I could go on and on about my editing hobby but it would be too much typing and no one really cares. But I do some great work. (I say humbly)

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Removing Sunny Days kids from Waiting on a Sunny Day is indeed great work.

There's a bootleg out there that has all the Sunny Day kids edited in one mp3 file - no band just all those kids singing. It's like a karaoke machine from hell. Can't remember which bootleg though. Made me chuckle before I deleted it.

• Haha 4
18 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I still like the stories most of the time 

Yes, the real stories, Independence Day, Factory, It's My Life, Johnny Bye Bye. So; the personal stories; if you count Johnny Bye Bye as a personal story, because Elvis' fate must have been frightening to Bruce; during River Tour, but even more during BUSA Tour when he was the biggest rock star in the world.

And the 1976, 1977 and 1978 Growin' Up stories. Not the BUSA Tour Growin' Up with the Bear Story. And not the BUSA Tour Glory Days story.

The Tunnel of Love stories, because they are such an integral part of the concept of the show (at least on the U.S.A. leg). Not the park bench story though.

I rather dislike the preaching 'stories'; not even stories, more only preaching: Working on a Dream, Mary's Place, Reunion Tour Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out. And also...Living In The Future, but I gues that is also due to hearing it too much on Magic Tour bootlegs, something to get a little tired off. While I -still- never get tired of Independence  Day stories and the meeting with God.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, 65pacecar said:

His two best stories that I always enjoy listening to. 

Cleveland Agora Growin' Up when the girl yells Interior Decorator

Winterland Christmas Story. 

I know what you mean, those two were pivotal in my indoctrination in 1978. But here in 2020 (2021?) I don't feel a need for them anymore.

On 12/19/2020 at 1:26 PM, Born To Walk said:

How do you put mp3s in a box? ^_^

Fill the box with semi-rigid packaging with a bed for a USB drive on top. Top of the line packaging would have a sticker on the USB drive with a collage of the eight concert covers in super miniature, yet detailed, form.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Trang said:

Fill the box with semi-rigid packaging with a bed for a USB drive on top. Top of the line packaging would have a sticker on the USB drive with a collage of the eight concert covers in super miniature, yet detailed, form.

I'd be happy with that

On 12/18/2020 at 11:48 PM, stillilllife said:

I'm kind of the same, or I do (really) enjoy listening to live stuff when I hear it, but I usually don't feel the need to seek it out myself except for trivia purposes. I do enjoy watching live clips though, but yeah, I rarely if ever listen to full shows.

I'm pretty much the same. I love hearing live stuff but I hardly ever listen to full shows. Instead, I usually listen to random live songs from here and there. I've never felt the need to buy massive piles of live releases in any format (I prefer spending my hard-earned money on seeing Bruce live). 

• Like 3
On 12/23/2020 at 1:18 PM, 65pacecar said:

His two best stories that I always enjoy listening to. 

Cleveland Agora Growin' Up when the girl yells Interior Decorator

Winterland Christmas Story. 

I always felt the stories were a bit too self aware and syrupy on the BITUSA tour. A bit more forced and contrived. The one before Racing is awful.

The 75 and 78 stuff just feels more natural to me. They didn’t always have to be long either - that little set up on the 78 Thunder Road about the dirt road is perfect. 

The “preach” thing on 10th and Working on a Dream sits only behind root canal work sans anaesthetic in terms of its ability to inflict pain upon me. Terrible. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, *Janey* said:

I'm pretty much the same. I love hearing live stuff but I hardly ever listen to full shows. Instead, I usually listen to random live songs from here and there. I've never felt the need to buy massive piles of live releases in any format (I prefer spending my hard-earned money on seeing Bruce live). 

Im your polar opposite

I despise random or shuffle of any kind 

Live shows make up for all the shows i can't get to

Like the 2016 river tour 

• Like 2