Greasy Lake Community

Song For Orphans: band or acoustic?

My favorite song on LTY, and I much prefer the full band version -- the feel of triumph comes through better, and I prefer his singing on the LTY version as well.  I do like how in the '05 version at one point he makes a small switch in the lyrics to "We'll hold the hounds at bay."  But overall, if I'm fortunate enough to catch this one live on the next tour, I hope it's with the full band (which is my preference with most of his songs).

• Like 5

I have loved Song To Orphans since I first heard the acoustic version from 1972 on the All Those Years bootleg, way back then (all those years ago, indeed (in 1988)).

The Letter To You album version is a great re-invention of the song. While the heart says the 1972 version, the mind says the album version. So:

1. Letter To You album version. 2. The 1972 live version. 3. The 2005 live version.

• Like 3

It's a well written song with good lyrics despite not making much sense, however the whole song is just too much of a Dylan copy for me. 

Even the melody is almost identical to Bob's My Back Pages.

Both the Trenton and the LTY version's are good in their own way, but overall I am glad Bruce doesn't write in this style any more.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

I love the Trenton version and that is coming from someone who strongly dislike the D&D tour generally. But the LTY version is just mesmerisingly compelling to listen to and blows every other version out of the water.  Currently threatening to knock Janey off the top slot for my favourite LTY track.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Hang on 

Im giving it a spin (the sunny day kid just started singing in the new 2009 MSG download) ....

11 hours ago, *Janey* said:

I only very recently listened to the Trenton version and immediately fell in love with it. I like the band version, too, but I think I actually prefer the solo version.

After listening rather enjoyably to the Trenton version (a bit of a struggle with the samsung music app trying to find it/ spell it on the app) I only had to listen to less than the first 10 seconds of the LTY version for the ESB to win 

The acoustic is pretty descent from an awsome tour but i have other much bigger D&D highlights than this

On 12/24/2020 at 4:26 PM, *Janey* said:

I only very recently listened to the Trenton version and immediately fell in love with it. I like the band version, too, but I think I actually prefer the solo version.

Yeah, that's the absolute gold standard to my ears as well. The LTY version is good, but Trenton is sublime.

• Like 3
On 12/24/2020 at 9:40 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

The acoustic is pretty descent from an awsome tour but i have other much bigger D&D highlights than this

I tend to agree with this, but at the same time the magnificence of the band version somehow made me enjoy the solo version more if that makes sense. I enjoy both a lot but ultimately I'd have to go with LTY for the win!

• Like 1