Greasy Lake Community

Christmas archive: NYC 7 November 2009

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Merry Christmas, everybody! WIESS night is our 2020 festive archive release. 2009-11-07 MADISON SQUARE GARDEN, NEW YORK CITY, NY THUNDERCRACK (with Curt Ramm) / SEEDS / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT /

WOW! Due to the reported technical problems with the recording of this show I had totally given up on ever seeing this show released. My first show on US soil, and what a show it was. Prior

Many more, including me. When the chance arose to go to NY for those two shows, I knew I would regret it if I didn't go despite it costing a heck of a lot for a weekend. I really would have kicke

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

The credits omit to mention that it was Garry playing tuba on Wild Billy:

I had hopped so

Otherwise all those school kid tuba lessons down the drain :lol:

Okay, the first one I've bought from the modern era. Love NYS but disappointed in Kitty. That's one of my least favorite versions, too slow. The shuffle was also great and Billy is a huge improvement over the album version. Human Touch is also great.

3 hours ago, Troublette said:

Okay, the first one I've bought from the modern era. Love NYS but disappointed in Kitty. That's one of my least favorite versions, too slow. The shuffle was also great and Billy is a huge improvement over the album version. Human Touch is also great.

A least favourite kitty 

tenor-2.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

WOW!

Due to the reported technical problems with the recording of this show I had totally given up on ever seeing this show released.

My first show on US soil, and what a show it was. Prior to this show I'm pretty sure Rosie was the only song I'd seen live from WIESS, so SO happy to see this album played from start to finish. And I could eventually forgive Jay Weinberg for not knowing The E Street Shuffle when Bruce wanted to play it in Stockholm earlier that year.

Loved opening the WIESS show with Thundercrack, and even throwing in 'Bus Stop' later in the set to add the '73-ish feeling of the night. Also, I think this is the only show I've had the pleasure of seeing Human Touch played live.

And thank god its 'only The Rising and Lonesome Day' they had some thouble with, haha. :D

Can't wait to find a good occaision to listen to this one and relive the memories of this beautiful show and the adventure that it was to travel to NYC for the two MSG shows some misty years ago. :)

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2

@the-chickenman Your post is exactly why I love the archive series.

I’ve listened to the recordings of this show a lot of the years, but this release really brought back the memories of that night in Garden - far more than any AUD/matrix recording ever did.

I know the post-album section isn’t universally loved, but I’ll stand by my hot take from the night (one that I didn’t have to defend over late night beers in the New Yorker!): the start of the show mixed fun and intensity, and the album performance was near-flawless. 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Troublette said:

least favorite versions

It's funny, I'm the complete opposite. My favorite Kitty's are 2012-14 version because in this case to me the horns really make the song come alive more than just playing it fast (not the case for every song IMO but for Kitty's Back), so this version is up there for me as well because it has the horn section before it was a permanent fixture.

• Like 1

Finally finished listening to the entire show. Besides a disappointing Kitty the only other not great part was the kid singing on Sunny Day. Loved American Land and finally having a great version of Higher. I admit that I had to go look at the players list after Prove It and again during BTR, it sounded like Tom Morello!

4 hours ago, Troublette said:

Finally finished listening to the entire show. Besides a disappointing Kitty the only other not great part was the kid singing on Sunny Day. Loved American Land and finally having a great version of Higher. I admit that I had to go look at the players list after Prove It and again during BTR, it sounded like Tom Morello!

I can’t lie: I’ve listened to the full show three times now. Well, the full show apart from Sunny Day. It’s an automatic skip from me now on every recording. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Nick21 said:

@the-chickenman Your post is exactly why I love the archive series.

I’ve listened to the recordings of this show a lot of the years, but this release really brought back the memories of that night in Garden - far more than any AUD/matrix recording ever did.

I know the post-album section isn’t universally loved, but I’ll stand by my hot take from the night (one that I didn’t have to defend over late night beers in the New Yorker!): the start of the show mixed fun and intensity, and the album performance was near-flawless. 

Hey, I was in the New Yorker that weekend as well. :)

Would've loved to have a post-show beer talking about that magnificent show!

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
6 hours ago, Troublette said:

God forbid !

I wonder how hard it is to go back and find set list vision for this show

I thought about looking for the backstreets review but i can't remember how to search 

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I'm wondering this too. Being a relatively new member of this forum (well after the previous tour ended), would be very interested in going through old archived SLVs 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, the-chickenman said:

WOW!

Due to the reported technical problems with the recording of this show I had totally given up on ever seeing this show released.

My first show on US soil, and what a show it was. Prior to this show I'm pretty sure Rosie was the only song I'd seen live from WIESS, so SO happy to see this album played from start to finish. And I could eventually forgive Jay Weinberg for not knowing The E Street Shuffle when Bruce wanted to play it in Stockholm earlier that year.

Loved opening the WIESS show with Thundercrack, and even throwing in 'Bus Stop' later in the set to add the '73-ish feeling of the night. Also, I think this is the only show I've had the pleasure of seeing Human Touch played live.

And thank god its 'only The Rising and Lonesome Day' they had some thouble with, haha. :D

Can't wait to find a good occaision to listen to this one and relive the memories of this beautiful show and the adventure that it was to travel to NYC for the two MSG shows some misty years ago. :)

I don't come to the US often, But when i do its usually for multiple Bruce Springsteen concerts. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, sleepyjoe said:

I'm wondering this too. Being a relatively new member of this forum (well after the previous tour ended), would be very interested in going through old archived SLVs 

I never did set list vision on a regular  basis till High Hopes tour

Its so much fun to Bruuuuuuuuuuce along 

Time zones cam be hard

I think i almost made every 2016 river tour SLVs

Andrew is a hoot setting them up for us

You will love it next tour

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
10 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I thought about looking for the backstreets review but i can't remember how to search 

I think Setlistvision will be long since archived.

The Backstreets reviews are easy enough to find.

http://www.backstreets.com/setlists2009b.html 

• Thanks 1

OK, I've downloaded this show as I have most all shows. But truly to me this is just an average show. There isn't a best version of any song on here. Not a big fan of Wild Billy, NYCS and others. I know thinks look different if you were at the show. But to me I've listened to this once now, and it will probably end up in the shuffle pile. As I most likely won't revisit the whole show again. Unless I can be talked back into it, and why! 

21 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

OK, I've downloaded this show as I have most all shows. But truly to me this is just an average show. There isn't a best version of any song on here. Not a big fan of Wild Billy, NYCS and others. I know thinks look different if you were at the show. But to me I've listened to this once now, and it will probably end up in the shuffle pile. As I most likely won't revisit the whole show again. Unless I can be talked back into it, and why! 

At the time I remember reading somebody’s take on the show was that it was “the sum of the parts” that made. That’s still accurate, IMO. I’ll happily say that I may be blinkered because of my “being there” experience in NYC, but I do get the wider picture here. The second US leg in 2009 was even more of a nostalgia fest than the US/EU legs that preceded it. Aside from 2014, it’s my least favourite year from the Reunion era (2013 is only ahead of it by virtue of not having shows featuring Jay). 

5 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Thundercrack is the keeper for me, the only other Archive version is Leeds 2013, and this one just seems to have much more energy to it. Beyond that I'm not a fan of the full album concept (by Bruce or any other artist) they just seem too contrived and too nostalgic. It's not a bad show overall.