Greasy Lake Community

Eddie Vedder releases cover version of Growin up

9 hours ago, Jertucky said:

Vedder sings Bruce’s songs like he knows exactly what Bruce was going for. He captures the attitude of the songs, but with a better voice.

Err, excuse me young man ... Eddie's got a great voice, but he sings Growin' Up better than our lad?  Noooooo! :)

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Eileen said:

Err, excuse me young man ... Eddie's got a great voice, but he sings Growin' Up better than our lad?  Noooooo! :)

Yeah, Eddie’s got a much, much better voice than Bruce. Best voice in rock and roll, in my opinion. It’s not a knock on Bruce.

54 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

He can play a mean ukulele! :)

He gave Bruce his first ukulele in 2005, if I remember correctly - as much as I love Bruce's solo stuff, he could have done us a favor by not using the ukulele on the D&D-tour.

5 hours ago, Breakaway said:

He gave Bruce his first ukulele in 2005, if I remember correctly - as much as I love Bruce's solo stuff, he could have done us a favor by not using the ukulele on the D&D-tour.

Don't like D&D album and I don't have a D&D download. So what song(s) does he use the ukulele on? 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Don't like D&D album and I don't have a D&D download. So what song(s) does he use the ukulele on? 

Growin Up and I Wanna Marry You are the two I know of. Growin Up worked because it was fun and laid back... but Wanna Marry You didn't work at all.

• Thanks 1

I don't like it (Eddie Vedder's cover; no opinion on the ukele). Sounds a little bit tame, no conviction.

Just a thought: maybe songs from Bruce's first two albums should only be covered by artists in their twenties? (Or even: Bruce's first three albums).

But then, Bruce's own re-interpretations on Letter To You of Song For Orphans and If I Was The Priest are a strong counter-argument.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
2 hours ago, the highway is alive said:

dont know who the f**k this guy is but he need to stay in his lane and not mess with bruces songs.......that was AWFUL

You have no idea who Eddie Vedder is?

3 hours ago, the highway is alive said:

dont know who the f**k this guy is but he need to stay in his lane and not mess with bruces songs.......that was AWFUL

Even if you don't know who Eddie Vedder is, it's far from awful! If you want to hear awful, listen to "Cover Me" program on ESR. There is some real horrible versions of Bruce's music. Especially when Indie groups try to make the tunes their own.   

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Even if you don't know who Eddie Vedder is, it's far from awful! If you want to hear awful, listen to "Cover Me" program on ESR. There is some real horrible versions of Bruce's music. Especially when Indie groups try to make the tunes their own.   

I can't stand some of those covers, it feels like every 2-3 weeks they recycle the worst sounding ones in.