Greasy Lake Community

Steven Van Zandt plans to publish autobiography, ‘Unrequited Infatuations’

"There is no official announcement yet. But information about a planned autobiography by Steven Van Zandt has shown up on the websites of four British online booksellers (amazon.co.uk, waterstones.com, foyles.co.uk, kobo.com) as well as the Amazon sites for Spain, Italy and France. The sites all contain the same information. That a book by Van Zandt, titled “Unrequited Infatuations: Odyssey of a Rock and Roll Consigliere (A Cautionary Tale),” will be published on Sept. 28, 2021, by the Orion Publishing Co. It will be a paperback, with 320 pages. Amazon and Kobo also say the book will come out on Orion’s White Rabbit imprint"

https://www.njarts.net/pop-rock/steven-van-zandt-plans-to-publish-autobiography-unrequited-infatuations/

Van Zandt is not mentioned (together with Garry Tallent) in the extensive Acknowledgements list of the Brian Hiatt book, so this makes sense. Without a doubt this autobiography will be big on Springsteen content because a lot of Springsteen activities in the 1970's was centered around Steven Van Zandt: playing in the E-Street, production for Springsteen album, Southside Johnny, Gary 'US' Bonds, Joe Grushecky. But this changed completely now when a lot of new people now are actually from the Patti Scialfa circle like Soozie Tyrrell, Charles Giordano, Ron Aniello, ...

102433141_10219702991819674_9023197781378963955_n.jpg.10d316de9bc191fd19be151bb3abc0f6.jpg

release party for 'I don't wanna go home' album.

• Like 3
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sugar Miami Steve, Give me 1-2 hours to ask you questions re your music career 1974-1979, the time period I expect you will glance over, on your way to writing about your solo career. This was the per

I think this will probably be a better book than Bruce’s. Steve seems a lot more willing to be open and not so guarded about who he is and what the public thinks about him. I’m looking forward to it.

I'll give him this, it's a more imaginative title than Bruce's book.

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Rumours for years that Steve never got on with Landau or Clarence. Nice to see if that gets addressed.

Why not with Clarence?

Landau is no secret (all 'lost discussions').

• Like 1

I think this will probably be a better book than Bruce’s. Steve seems a lot more willing to be open and not so guarded about who he is and what the public thinks about him. I’m looking forward to it.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Kooly said:

I'm sure it'll be a snoozefest like Bruce's book.

No blood will be shed, no secrets revealed.

I don't know ?

Steve doesn't seem to have a filter when it comes to sharing his opinions 

Im expecting a few fireworks 

• Like 1

Sugar Miami Steve, Give me 1-2 hours to ask you questions re your music career 1974-1979, the time period I expect you will glance over, on your way to writing about your solo career. This was the period I admire about you the most, when you were managing, producing, writing, arranging songs for the Jukes, playing for Springsteen, and doing things like organizing two sets of Miami Horns for each band. When SSJ was sick, you and Bruce covered his shows at Monmouth County Arts Center May 12-13, 1977, with the Jukes and the E Street Band. Did you live across from the Stone Pony, or was that just a business/mailing address for Miami Productions? I need to know about the demo session for the Jukes, when you recorded "I Don't want to Go Home', 'Sweeter than Honey' and 'The Fever' for Steve Popovich and got them a recording contract. Did Bruce play tambourine on all 3 songs, or just The Fever? I may have couple of the tracks, they are demos, but not sure of date. You recorded their second album during the Dec-Jan break in the Lawsuit Tour, that's when Sugar Miami took over the entire production. Springsteen had a song called 'Little Girl of Mine' from early 1976, next thing I know you were singing it on 'The Early Work'. The album listing said 'Little Girl So Fine', but that was not what it was called at the time of your recording, and you were clearly singing 'Little Girl of Mine' on the album. I am guessing it was you who came up with the new lyrics, title, and arrangement, another masterpiece. You gotta tell about what happened during all those recording sessions, including 1978, when you dragged Max with you to Secret Studios to record 'Hearts of Stone'. I know Bruce recorded the demos for 'Hearts' and 'Talk to Me' on Oct 14, 1977, while you had the day off to play at the Roxy in Los Angeles with the Jukes. I got a picture of the note Thom Panunzio wrote to hold the cassette with both songs for you. When did you start recording, Jan 15, 1978, after your Darkness work was pretty much complete? Did you and Max come to Record Plant on March 9, 1978, to record the new version of Darkness On the Edge of Town from scratch? I know Max was there, because his drum sound got a lot of attention during those sessions. Please, I have many questions for you, make some time so we can do this. These crazy Springsteen fans want to know everything, and they want music, too. So bring any old DAT tapes when you come, I hope you saved them. I promise to only ask questions about music, I don't care about fights with Southside Johnny, etc. Take care, talk to you soon-tw

I almost forgot - Happy New Year to everybody!:lol::o

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
8 hours ago, phantomengineer said:

Yeah, he could have called it "The Night" or "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out", "Born to Run" is so cliche.:lol:

14 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Rumours for years that Steve never got on with Landau or Clarence. Nice to see if that gets addressed.

I have a lot of time for SVZ, the most musical of the whole lot of them. Look forward to it.

Bruce liked having him and Landau around because they never agreed on anything. He wanted their different points of view. I hope he writes about the 70s, but not getting my hopes up. "Hey Steve, there was nothing about your coke habit in 1978, c'mon man, we've been waiting 40 years for this!" 

On 12/31/2020 at 2:29 PM, el sergio said:

That a book by Van Zandt, titled “Unrequited Infatuations: Odyssey of a Rock and Roll Consigliere (A Cautionary Tale),” will be published on Sept. 28, 2021, by the Orion Publishing Co. It will be a paperback, with 320 pages.

Amazon UK are offering kindle and hardback options (no paperback).

On 12/31/2020 at 10:40 PM, phantomengineer said:

‘Rock n roll consigliere’ though? I always cringe when rock stars hijack mafiosi terminology. Ok, Italian antecedents notwithstanding, you haven’t been advising on who to hit, most profitable new rackets to enter into, or where best to lam it in an emergency! Call it what it is: musical director!

636965366_Stevieinthesummerof1972rehearsingwithBruceband.jpg.1b8828f9bde558b66e9051b98bfd67b9.jpg

1972.thumb.png.fcd570655dc2c25413bf7c2b48801bff.png

Brucebase: 1972-06-00 - CHARLIE BROWN'S GUITAR SHOP, POINT PLEASANT, NJ

Bruce and band rehearse in the back of a guitar maker/repair shop. Albee Tellone recalls: "A guy who called himself Charlie Brown ran it. His real name was Bill Herron. I think Garry Tallent worked there part time. Also, my former bass player Dennis Monahan worked there. They were still rehearsing there in the fall of 1972, when I went to find out about the roadie job. It's where I met Clarence Clemons. I already knew all of the other guys. The exception was that David didn't want to be in the touring band, so Bruce hired Danny Federici from the old Steel Mill band. Stevie was supposed to be in the band, but because Mike Appel opposed even having a band at all, he thought it best not to bother. He went to the recording sessions but Appel didn't let him play on anything. The guy that took the pic, Steve Bonham, was working there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
On 1/2/2021 at 10:51 AM, bobfan1976 said:

‘Rock n roll consigliere’ though? I always cringe when rock stars hijack mafiosi terminology. Ok, Italian antecedents notwithstanding, you haven’t been advising on who to hit, most profitable new rackets to enter into, or where best to lam it in an emergency!

7gh2ev7.gif 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 12/31/2020 at 10:12 PM, Kooly said:

I'm sure it'll be a snoozefest like Bruce's book. No blood will be shed, no secrets revealed.

You probably might be right. I take that assumption based on some topics from the Rolling Stone January 2020 interview, see https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/steven-van-zandt-interview-marriage-bruce-springsteen-sopranos-933523/

1) He learned his lesson in 1982:

You left the E Street Band in 1984. What advice would you give yourself the day before you did that?
Don’t do it! It’s the one defining moment of my life. It was a mistake I’ve never recovered from. Financially, it was apocalyptic. That said, we did take years off the life of the South African government [Van Zandt created Artists United Against Apartheid in 1985]. But is that worth losing all of my friends, all of my power base, all my juice, all my celebrity capital, to save a few lives? And you’ve got to say, “Yeah, sure. It was.” But I look back and think, “Jeez, if only I could’ve done those things and stayed.” I would’ve had the perfect life.

2) He learned his lesson again in 2020:

To wrap up, there have been a lot of Bruce interviews in recent months where he says the E Street Band are touring in 2020. Are you pretty sure it’s going to happen?
Until I see a press release, I don’t care what he says, alright? I mean, I’ve gotten in trouble before, so I’ve learned my lesson. I don’t care what he says. Yes, I hope so. I even may think so. But until there’s a press release, all I can say is that I hope so and I think so.

3) Touring with the E-Street a vacation? Sound not very rock'n rollish to me

Are you ready fore a two-year tour?
Yeah. To be honest with you, it’s like a vacation.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, el sergio said:

You probably might be right. I take that assumption based on some topics from the Rolling Stone January 2020 interview, see https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/steven-van-zandt-interview-marriage-bruce-springsteen-sopranos-933523/

1) He learned his lesson in 1982:

You left the E Street Band in 1984. What advice would you give yourself the day before you did that?
Don’t do it! It’s the one defining moment of my life. It was a mistake I’ve never recovered from. Financially, it was apocalyptic. That said, we did take years off the life of the South African government [Van Zandt created Artists United Against Apartheid in 1985]. But is that worth losing all of my friends, all of my power base, all my juice, all my celebrity capital, to save a few lives? And you’ve got to say, “Yeah, sure. It was.” But I look back and think, “Jeez, if only I could’ve done those things and stayed.” I would’ve had the perfect life.

2) He learned his lesson again in 2020:

To wrap up, there have been a lot of Bruce interviews in recent months where he says the E Street Band are touring in 2020. Are you pretty sure it’s going to happen?
Until I see a press release, I don’t care what he says, alright? I mean, I’ve gotten in trouble before, so I’ve learned my lesson. I don’t care what he says. Yes, I hope so. I even may think so. But until there’s a press release, all I can say is that I hope so and I think so.

3) Touring with the E-Street a vacation? Sound not very rock'n rollish to me

Are you ready fore a two-year tour?
Yeah. To be honest with you, it’s like a vacation.

Oh now i feel bad for 1984 era little Steven 

But at least he tried

He won't spend the rest of his life wondering if he should have done it

If he could have done it 

• Like 1