Greasy Lake Community

Arrise Sir Lewis

One of the most popular sportsmen in the UK. Winner of perhaps the highest accolade a British sportsman can achieve.....the BBC’s Sports Personality Of The Year, which he won last month. Charismatic Monaco based legend. Brought the BLM agenda to F1 and must be saluted for that alone. Arise Sir Lewis.

• Love Love Love! 1
2 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

the whole honours list thing is a shambolic load of crap

In its present form, I agree. I'm not against an honours system in principle, but firstly it should be taken out of the hands of politicians to get rid of cronyism. Last year, of all years, there were plenty of people who deserved to be honoured for things much more important than driving a car round in circles in return for a few million quid.

Sports men and women are a puzzle. They get titles and medals and (often) lots of money as recognition of their achievements, so why do they warrant extra honours? In the case of Lewis Hamilton, his success is largely down to having the fastest car* and he buggered off to Switzerland, then Monaco, to avoid contributing to the UK Treasury. 

* Take the example of Jenson Button who spent years making up the numbers until one year he suddenly had the fastest car. Overnight he went from also ran to world champion. 

PS: The question of the continued use of the word 'Empire' is a whole different debate.

PPS: I hope this isn't deemed political. That isn't the intention.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

In its present form, I agree. I'm not against an honours system in principle, but firstly it should be taken out of the hands of politicians to get rid of cronyism. Last year, of all years, there were plenty of people who deserved to be honoured for things much more important than driving a car round in circles in return for a few million quid.

Sports men and women are a puzzle. They get titles and medals and (often) lots of money as recognition of their achievements, so why do they warrant extra honours? In the case of Lewis Hamilton, his success is largely down to having the fastest car* and he buggered off to Switzerland, then Monaco, to avoid contributing to the UK Treasury. 

* Take the example of Jenson Button who spent years making up the numbers until one year he suddenly had the fastest car. Overnight he went from also ran to world champion. 

PS: The question of the continued use of the word 'Empire' is a whole different debate.

PPS: I hope this isn't deemed political. That isn't the intention.

agree with all that, the deserving get lost in the sea of the undeserving

BTW if you are suggesting the titles of OBE, MBE and CBE should go or at least be renamed, I stand shoulder to shoulder with you. Time has moved on since the days when the old saying ‘the sun never sets on the British Empire’ was actually true. OBE, MBE and CBE also in my opinion make a veiled reference to the dark days of slavery.....the word ‘empire’ is not something we Brits should applaud in this modern world.

16 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

the whole honours list thing is a shambolic load of crap

It isnt here

We have slightly kiwified some of the award names  but we still have knighthods (they were actually reinstated a wee while ago due to the public waiting them back)

We happily award them to foreigners residing and doing excellent work here but if its an American where they don't have HM as HoS its honnary - they still get the letters on the end of their name, we just don't call then sir or dame

Anyway tons of good hardworking people who have worked many years contributing one way or another to NZ life get awards 

Any one can nominate someone 

A combo of a committee, the PM and the governer general (depending on the award)  deside if someone is deserving

Its not just politicans or sports people, its just as likely someone ive never heard of plugging away behind the sceens of some community organisation, a university, the arts, sports admin, science and bussiness, miltary, police, fire service

The national news dont always pick up on the little guys but their own communities do

Its worth reading the whole list, not just the knighthods 

15 hours ago, Royston Vasey said:

BTW if you are suggesting the titles of OBE, MBE and CBE should go or at least be renamed, I stand shoulder to shoulder with you. Time has moved on since the days when the old saying ‘the sun never sets on the British Empire’ was actually true. OBE, MBE and CBE also in my opinion make a veiled reference to the dark days of slavery.....the word ‘empire’ is not something we Brits should applaud in this modern world.

Check out what we have 

https://dpmc.govt.nz/our-programmes/new-zealand-royal-honours/new-zealand-royal-honours-system/overview-new-zealand-royal

It isn't about what they are called

Its about recognizing very worthy people who have contributed greatly to national life 

For every big name politican or sports person is 10 people no ones ever heard of out side of their own organizations 

22 hours ago, Royston Vasey said:

One of the most popular sportsmen in the UK. Winner of perhaps the highest accolade a British sportsman can achieve.....the BBC’s Sports Personality Of The Year, which he won last month. Charismatic Monaco based legend. Brought the BLM agenda to F1 and must be saluted for that alone. Arise Sir Lewis.

Just got so heated defending him i lost my post

But the UK should be very proud of Lewis Hamilton 

I think he's the only British sportsman i even like ! Let alone actually support !!! 

He is a great ambassador for the UK and for formula 1 and motorsport 

Raw talent, training, determination, stamina, 100% concentration 100% of the time durring his event including practice ,  discipline, bravery  and a  great team behind him, a few lucky breaks 

Its hardly the only sport where you need a bit of money behind you to get a good start except this guy was working class 

The only thing that makes him different to other sportsmen is he drives a car rather than kicks a stupid ball 

A knight hod is a fitting award for a man that risks death to entertain the masses 

France, Brazil, Argentina, Germany etc - they champion their world winning drivers, they become favourite sons of their nations

This is a great thing for formula one 

This is the most excited ive been about a knight hod since Richard Hadlee

Screenshot_20210102-154614.png

I am a big fan of Lewis and is probably more worthy than most but i would  prefer to see more of the people who plod through life improving other peoples lives without recognition, yes i know they honour some, just think its to waited towards celebrity And i hate celebrity. what is the point of honours for Jimmy greaves years and years after he maybe should have a reward. Lewis Hamilton earns £40 million a year and a experienced nurse will be lucky to make 30k. the world is lopsided

• Like 1

Hamilton missed the Sakhir GP due to positive Covid test, George Russell from Williams was selected to deputise for him at that race, overnight in the best car he went from continually being in the last four to leading the race for a long spell before a mechanical failure late on robbed him of the race win he should have had...says it all really.  

• Like 2
10 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Hamilton missed the Sakhir GP due to positive Covid test, George Russell from Williams was selected to deputise for him at that race, overnight in the best car he went from continually being in the last four to leading the race for a long spell before a mechanical failure late on robbed him of the race win he should have had...says it all really.  

That's the nature of the beast

One driver always gets more of the expertise and the better car in the team 

Its always been like that 

I guess you answered the next question there Daisey....

I reckon queenie should have knighted the car then, cos it is obvious that the car has way more to do with the success than the driver ever did.

• Like 1

f1 has for many years been about the best and fastest car, Red Bull, Ferrari, williams have all been dominant at some point. anybody in the know will tell you Hamilton is one of the best drivers there as been. along with Senna, Prost, Alonso etc, there is no doubt about that, does he deserve a knighthood , a big fat no to that

• Like 1

I am not feeling much love for motorsport :(

You have a 7 times world champ in your mists !

Certainly outside of the world of F1 and its fans, I sense the British people have no interest whatsoever in Lewis Hamilton and many actually have little time for him. His political virtue signalling over recent times has not exactly helped his public perception (aside of the woke population who presumably approved). It is somewhat strange as over the years, several British drivers such as Hill Senior and Junior, Moss, Hunt and Jackie Stewart, to name a few, have generated huge admiration and love. It’s simply never happened for Hamilton, and I guess it never will.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 1/5/2021 at 7:12 AM, Royston Vasey said:

Certainly outside of the world of F1 and its fans, I sense the British people have no interest whatsoever in Lewis Hamilton and many actually have little time for him. His political virtue signalling over recent times has not exactly helped his public perception (aside of the woke population who presumably approved). It is somewhat strange as over the years, several British drivers such as Hill Senior and Junior, Moss, Hunt and Jackie Stewart, to name a few, have generated huge admiration and love. It’s simply never happened for Hamilton, and I guess it never will.

The thing is until cricket players and Lewis Hamilton took a stand on BLM it just didn't resonate with me 

Just now, Brown Eyed Boy said:

Thank goodness they did then.

How you doing in your neck of the woods @Brown Eyed Boy

You and your family all ok in the lockdown ?

17 minutes ago, Brown Eyed Boy said:

All good thank you Daisey. Hope you’re well too.

We all good ta 

But worried about all of you 

• Like 1