Greasy Lake Community

January archive: St Paul, 12 November 2012

4 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Thanks for this Erik

"Sure, the junior vocalist on “Waitin’ on a Sunny Day” may be in slightly over their head"

I've heard worse

• Like 1
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://live.brucespringsteen.net/live-music/0,25894/Bruce-Springsteen---The-E-Street-Band-mp3-flac-download-11-12-2012-Xcel-Energy-Center-St-Paul-MN.html   "The second night in Saint Paul

Listening on Sirius now. Holy crap, it blows my mind that it took this long for I'm a Rocker to open a show. What a great start!

if this is correct I'm buying again, keep trying to get out but they keep pulling me back in! That version of D & D is stunning. Any show with Something in the night also sells it for me, saw

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Perisic said:

Full band D&D fuck yeah! Great version.

Here is what gets me. Bruce has a huge network of songs which he can clearly rework. This 'Devils & Dust' is superb. 

He has recently made a great job of reworking three 50 year songs on Letter to You (& they are superb).

The reworking of his catalogue works. Other than more new material could there be anything better than reinventing songs from his catalogue?

For me I'd rather have that than another box of B-sides.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Sean McNeill said:

Here is what gets me. Bruce has a huge network of songs which he can clearly rework. This 'Devils & Dust' is superb. 

He has recently made a great job of reworking three 50 year songs on Letter to You (& they are superb).

The reworking of his catalogue works. Other than more new material could there be anything better than reinventing songs from his catalogue?

I purchased the show today because of the setlist overall; but I would have purchased the show just for Devils & Dust. If there is one thing that frustrates me about Bruce live is he has such a big catalog and he has great songs he never or rarely performs - but Sunny Day manages to be part of the regular rotation. Even if he wants to include a light-hearted singalong song - he has other options! I agree he could do a release of just reworked songs and I would buy it. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

The best reworked version of a song for me has to be The River from the SSB tour. Looking forward to an official release of that at some point in the archive series. 

The version from Stockholm 06 is absolutely magnificent. I always thought that if Western Stars got a tour that’s how The River should of been performed.  

• Love Love Love! 1
10 hours ago, Sean McNeill said:

Give me the out-takes any day. Even if there’s more material along to Tracks disc four as opposed to two and three, I’m all ears. They’d give me far more intrigue and insight than, say, the High Hopes version of... er.. High Hopes (and American Skin, Joad etc.) ever could. 

• Bruuuuce! 1

Was there.... still the best Bruce show I’ve seen. I haven’t seen hundreds like some, but I find a lot of what makes a good show is the people you are with and the memories you get. This particular one has both, great memories with friends and the woman I love, great show. 

4ADE1D5B-C5D4-41B2-83BA-F21D4EF94077.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Hi everyone! Just a quick question...

first off, LOVE the show and mix!!! Just  an amazing release!

im hearing during Hungry Heart what sounds like a “clicking” sound as Max is playing. It may be from his drums as it’s in sync with his beat. For you audiophiles and engineers, is it the sound coming from his kit? It’s pretty much throughout the song.

I also hear it for about a second right after Bruce counts in No Surrender and Max starts with the foot pedal. 

I don’t hear it again after that. I don’t think it’s a glitch but just want to k ow if others hear it? Thanks!!

(Sorry, something went wrong with quoting a previous post in this topic).

Outtakes... some are among the very best Bruce Springsteen songs, some were outtakes for a very good reason: because they are not good songs. 

The best ones were already released on Tracks (The Promise and Ties That Bind both inferior (not bad!) to Tracks).

But over the years I became more and more curious for the 'lost' 1994 album. So would hope one day that album will get a release. As it was, recorded in 1994 with members of the 1992-1993 band, no overdubs or whatever 21th Century additions (or deleting).

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
35 minutes ago, Lampi said:

The best ones were already released on Tracks (The Promise and Ties That Bind both inferior (not bad!) to Tracks).

I guess I still prefer “Save My Love”, “The Time That Never Was”, or “Party Lights” over stuff like “My Lover Man”.

18 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

I guess I still prefer “Save My Love”, “The Time That Never Was”, or “Party Lights” over stuff like “My Lover Man”.

Well yes, should read: the best ones were already released on Tracks Disc 1, 2 and 3 then!:lol:

There are a few weaker on Tracks 1-3 also, while there are a few highlights on Disc 4 too; it is not a completely black-and-white picture.

Maybe not the right topic to discuss all this.... (looked back how it started...with a post about the reworked version of Devils & Dust from this show; after that it derailed a little bit, as so often...there are worse things).

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Nick21 said:

Clicking - if I’ve identified the noise you’re referring to correctly - in Hungry Heart is Everett Bradley’s percussion. 

Thank you. Do you know why it may be more prevalent in that song as opposed to others in the recording? 

25 minutes ago, musicdav24 said:

Thank you. Do you know why it may be more prevalent in that song as opposed to others in the recording? 

I think it’s a simple as Everett not playing that instrument (claves, I believe) much throughout the rest of the show.

I’d need to dig deeper to find when it changed but at the Lisbon (below) and MetLife shows in 2022 he was playing the conga drums during the song (these are also audible throughout this latest release on other songs). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Devils and Dust is lovely, so is Something ITN and Stolen Car. LOHAD sounds like something is missing. 

A great Loose Ends, too. Death To My Hometown will always be my favourite from the WB Tour. Never tire of it.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Death To My Hometown will always be my favourite from the WB Tour. Never tire of it.

Yep! My favorite from the album also.

• Love Love Love! 1

This is a nice release but I have always found the WB tour shows very fatiguing to listen to despite their strong setlists on paper.  Too many instruments, too many singers.  Other tours had horns (TOL) or singers (HT/LT) but this is just too much on my ears.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, badlands78 said:

Too many instruments, too many singers.  Other tours had horns (TOL) or singers (HT/LT) but this is just too much on my ears.

And Seeger then? (unless answer is: I never listen to Seeger anyway)

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Jay said:

Was there.... still the best Bruce show I’ve seen. I haven’t seen hundreds like some, but I find a lot of what makes a good show is the people you are with and the memories you get. This particular one has both, great memories with friends and the woman I love, great show. 

4ADE1D5B-C5D4-41B2-83BA-F21D4EF94077.jpeg

Im very for happy for you that we got your show on nugs for you then

• Like 1

The Rising on this release has a riff I've never heard on the song before, I think it's keyboards. Maybe it's just the mix but I've never heard it before, puts an interesting spin on the song. It's the little things with the songs that get over exposed, and I think The Rising is a great song anyway, but it has been played a lot. Both of the versions (Seeger and now this one) of Devils and Dust have been outstanding and it does make you wonder how this never became a staple of the set in the same way The Rising did.

• Like 1

I love the archive series and I'm a proud owner of each one that has been released, but I would have to rank this one the lowest so far from all releases. Audio quality seems messy too. Wish they released Kilkenny, Ireland 2013. When he ends the set with This Hard Land.