Greasy Lake Community

The Rugby Thread

E Street nation

really enjoyed that.

I wonder if the various players who cheated their way to big bucks salaries at Saracens feel responsible for England's woes ?

Watching the game again tonight.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 4:11 AM, bigbonesbilly said:

I am not sure what was wrong with either try.  A knock on becomes a knock on once the ball touches another player or the ground.  the next player that the ball touched was behind the player who dropped the ball.

The other try if the wide players our out of position that is there fault.  the water carriers were still on the pitch, they were not interfering with play.  the ref said time on so the Welsh player was entitled to play the ball.

There is a lack of knowledge of the rules ny the BBC commentators/analysts, somebody should have put the laws on the screen. 

"...knocks the rugby ball forward with their arm or hands, towards the opposition and the ball hits the ground or a member of the opposition. The ball was knocked towards the opposition, irrespective of any bounces of the Wales player or England player behind him. It was a knock on. 

If you call on the captain to speak to his players and he gathers them under the posts to do that, then putting time back on and letting the opposition take an immediate quick penalty when they haven't had chance to return to their normal position was what, rightly, cause the anger. When Sam Warburton says "I would have been livid" I think you can sense it was, at BEST, "unfair".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, robk1 said:

really enjoyed that.

I wonder if the various players who cheated their way to big bucks salaries at Saracens feel responsible for England's woes ?

Watching the game again tonight.

This is a fair point. Should they have been playing at all given their lack of gametime.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thomam said:

"...knocks the rugby ball forward with their arm or hands, towards the opposition and the ball hits the ground or a member of the opposition. The ball was knocked towards the opposition, irrespective of any bounces of the Wales player or England player behind him. It was a knock on. 

If you call on the captain to speak to his players and he gathers them under the posts to do that, then putting time back on and letting the opposition take an immediate quick penalty when they haven't had chance to return to their normal position was what, rightly, cause the anger. When Sam Warburton says "I would have been livid" I think you can sense it was, at BEST, "unfair".

I mean, I hate to go all argumentum ab auctoritate , but Nigel Owens agrees!

• Like 1

I know that the history record books will show that Scotland and Wales both beat england, I also know that as far as you are concerned the results were stolen and england won both games by a landslide.

So let us throw away those two "spoilt" tries and recalculate the score without them....Wales 26 england 24....MMMmmmmmm

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dr winston oboogie said:

I know that the history record books will show that Scotland and Wales both beat england, I also know that as far as you are concerned the results were stolen and england won both games by a landslide.

Scotland won convincingly. Who has even begun to suggest otherwise? We were lucky to be even close at the end.

Saturday was different. If Townsend is going to whine about at 100% correct red card, then you can hardly blame us for whining about 2 of the most outrageous tries to be awarded! Would it have made a difference? Who knows. Meant we were playing catch up all game and with our indiscipline that was always likely to end the way it did. Ultimately took the edge off what was otherwise a decent game of rugby.

That referee :o Not the first time england have had trouble with him, Eddie had previously reported him, he let wales take a quick pen and scored which shouldnt have happened, ametuer referees are better than him

Not that im using it as an excuse, poor discipline cost us, when the scores are level we gave awat too many stupid penalties. Really don't see how cowan dckie was dropped, was our best player vs italy. Jamie george, owen farell, eliot daly, billy vunipola, george ford, ben youngs really havent done enough recently, so many good players out there that could come in, simmonds brothers, marcus smith, alex dombrandt, ben spencer, joe cockansigna, beno obano, jonothan joseph all left out and are more than capable of playing for england, i love eddie but he really is stubborn

• Like 1

i really dislike quick penalties. Wasn't there a spell of teams getting repeatedly penalised for not going back 10 yards when the other side took their penalty very quickly ? I may be mis remembering this.

However...I don't think Wales in the first half on Saturday counts as a quick penalty

Every time I see Ben Youngs in his Dove skincare commercial my heart is in my mouth. When he picks up the little girl I expect him to kick her away.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Royston Vasey said:

You won’t see him refereeing at top level again. It’s one thing officiating like that at say Croydon v Redhill but quite another at the very highest level. 

i bet he will...lets wait and see

It was all so obviously a French made anti English attack. They hate us. We hate them. It may well have been a spill over of Brexit where Macron has nailed his colours to the mast. A horrible little man. No French food and drink produce in the Vasey household since 31/12/20, that is for sure. 

• Sad 1

Wales  on line has a superb video clip of Owen Farrell taking a quick penalty whilst the opposition are obeying the refs instructions to be talked to about their discipline. He kicks over to a player who catches it and scores a sneaky try !

I'm not smart enough to do a link, but do check it out.

On 3/3/2021 at 8:10 PM, Royston Vasey said:

It was all so obviously a French made anti English attack. They hate us. We hate them. It may well have been a spill over of Brexit where Macron has nailed his colours to the mast. A horrible little man. No French food and drink produce in the Vasey household since 31/12/20, that is for sure. 

What a little gammon you are. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

On 3/3/2021 at 8:10 PM, Royston Vasey said:

.... ooo bad loser! 

Another Great weekend of rugby. There are very small green shoots in the Italian game but Wales starting to look slick. We are getting better week by week. Very excited for the future.

Great weekend of rugby. There are very small green shoots in the Italian game but Wales are starting to look slick. We are getting better week by week. Very excited for the future.

Great result for England yesterdayFirst half outstanding second half French really faded. England deserved winners. Players are far more disciplined this week. Wales have got their work cut out to beat this French side in Paris. But I believe we can do it!

Another good game this afternoon in Murrayfield. Ireland just had enough. But that Scottish team is getting better too. They are getting into a habit of leaving themselves too much to do though . 

If the Lions goes ahead this summer I think it will be the most balanced side nationally for many years. Several players challenging for most of the positions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Another Great weekend of rugby. There are very small green shoots in the Italian game but Wales starting to look slick. We are getting better week by week. Very excited for the future.

Great weekend of rugby. There are very small green shoots in the Italian game but Wales are starting to look slick. We are getting better week by week. Very excited for the future.

Great result for England yesterdayFirst half outstanding second half French really faded. England deserved winners. Players are far more disciplined this week. Wales have got their work cut out to beat this French side in Paris. But I believe we can do it!

Another good game this afternoon in Murrayfield. Ireland just had enough. But that Scottish team is getting better too. They are getting into a habit of leaving themselves too much to do though . 

If the Lions goes ahead this summer I think it will be the most balanced side nationally for many years. Several players challenging for most of the positions.

1. Rory sutherland (scot)

2. Luke Cowan dickie (eng)

3. Kyle sinkler (eng)

4. Jonny gray (scotland)

5. Maro  itoje (eng) (Captain)

6. Talupe Faletau (wal)

7. Tom curry (eng)

8. Sam Simmons (eng)

9. Ali price (scot)

10. Finn russel (scot)

11. Louis rees zammit (wal)

12. Bundee aki (ire)

13. Henry Slade (eng)

14. Anthony Watson (eng)

15. Stuart Hogg (scot)

Bench:

16. Jamie George (eng)

17. Rhys carre (wal)

18. Andrew porter (ire)

20. Ben earl (eng)

21. Connor Murray (ire)

22. Joe Simmons (eng)

23. Liam Williams (wal)

Some really hard choices.. some great players miss out but this would be my team for the first game vs SA

21 hours ago, E Street nation said:

3. Kyle sinkler (eng)

4. Jonny gray (scotland)

6. Talupe Faletau (wal)

7. Tom curry (eng)

8. Sam Simmons (eng)

9. Ali price (scot)

10. Finn russel (scot)

12. Bundee aki (ire)

13. Henry Slade (eng)

14. Anthony Watson (eng)

15. Stuart Hogg (scot)

Bench:

16. Jamie George (eng)

17. Rhys carre (wal)

18. Andrew porter (ire)

20. Ben earl (eng)

21. Connor Murray (ire)

22. Joe Simmons (eng)

23. Liam Williams (wal)

Some really hard choices.. some great players miss out but this would be my team for the first game vs SA

Itoje ?? Captain ???????

You have got to be kidding.

I'd only take Watson from England

Taidh 

21 hours ago, E Street nation said:

3. Kyle sinkler (eng)

4. Jonny gray (scotland)

6. Talupe Faletau (wal)

7. Tom curry (eng)

8. Sam Simmons (eng)

9. Ali price (scot)

10. Finn russel (scot)

12. Bundee aki (ire)

13. Henry Slade (eng)

14. Anthony Watson (eng)

15. Stuart Hogg (scot)

Bench:

16. Jamie George (eng)

17. Rhys carre (wal)

18. Andrew porter (ire)

20. Ben earl (eng)

21. Connor Murray (ire)

22. Joe Simmons (eng)

23. Liam Williams (wal)

Slight English bias there!  Have I slept through the six nations and missed England going into the final round looking for a grand slam?

Taidh Furlong is one of the best tighthead props in the world and should be one of the first names on the sheet. 

Faletau isn't a flanker, regardless of whether Bath sometimes play him there. 

Slade shouldn't be anywhere near either if Jonathan Davies is even half fit.  Ringrose  is a better option too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Growin' Up said:

Taidh 

Slight English bias there!  Have I slept through the six nations and missed England going into the final round looking for a grand slam?

Taidh Furlong is one of the best tighthead props in the world and should be one of the first names on the sheet. 

Faletau isn't a flanker, regardless of whether Bath sometimes play him there. 

Slade shouldn't be anywhere near either if Jonathan Davies is even half fit.  Ringrose  is a better option too. 

I admitx a little english bias but slade was our best player yesterday

Liam williams would also be pushing for a starting spot

Scotland have improved a fair bit in recent years, but we are still not even competitive with the rest of the six nations countries apart from Italy.

They make far too many unenforced errors in games.

Hopefully next year we will have made a bit more progress.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 8:32 PM, E Street nation said:

3. Kyle sinkler (eng)

4. Jonny gray (scotland)

6. Talupe Faletau (wal)

7. Tom curry (eng)

8. Sam Simmons (eng)

9. Ali price (scot)

10. Finn russel (scot)

12. Bundee aki (ire)

13. Henry Slade (eng)

14. Anthony Watson (eng)

15. Stuart Hogg (scot)

Bench:

16. Jamie George (eng)

17. Rhys carre (wal)

18. Andrew porter (ire)

20. Ben earl (eng)

21. Connor Murray (ire)

22. Joe Simmons (eng)

23. Liam Williams (wal)

Still sticking by your England picks ??