Greasy Lake Community

Special versions of songs from the Archives

Which individual song(s) from the Archives do you really enjoy listening to because this particular rendition is truly special AND different from the studio / regular version? The ones for which you don’t hesitate buying the entire show for this song alone? (e.g rare acoustic version, only full-band version, haunting bullet-mic version... etc)

Although somewhat similar to the ‘What are you listening to’ and ‘Song of the day’ threads, i hope your suggestions will help me and other fans to (re)discover some hidden gems in the ever-growing archive series and learn something about these songs while we are at it...

There just doesn’t seem to be enough hours in the day to listen to all the great shows we have been offered in the last few years :-)

8/20/84 is worth it for Drift Away. It was skin-tingling that night, with Steve and the Miami Horns and the wonderful harmonies. When I finally tracked down a cassette boot in May '88 and played it again for the first time, slow dancing with the woman I had just started seeing, it was knee-buckling good, especially Steve with his, "listen Brucie, thanks for the ... 20 years you've given me." The love of each for the other comes thru so clearly that one aches for friends who are together tonight but apart in general these days for professional reasons.

The fact that the rest of the show is really good is a bonus.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 2

53 minutes ago, Good-looking Joe said:

because this particular rendition is truly special AND different from the studio / regular version?

I would say the complete Bridge Benefit 1986 show and the Christic shows fit this description, song by song.

Also most songs on the Devils & Dust Tour (except the Devils & Dust songs themselves) were at least different, and also often (not always) special (some would say: everything was great, especially the bullet mic songs; others would say: everyhing was great, except the bullet mic songs). 

Plenty of special performances of course through all shows, too many to mention; sometimes it is even said there are too many 'special shows' and not enough 'regular shows'; that is, shows with a solid performance of the standard setlist of that tour, so shows representative of that tour.

• Like 3

'Reason to Believe' from the early days of the Magic Tour worked well. 

'Incident' solo piano & full band equally superb. 

And of course full band 'Devils & Dust' has proven to be exceptional.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

38 minutes ago, Sean McNeill said:

'Reason to Believe' from the early days of the Magic Tour worked well. 

'Incident' solo piano & full band equally superb. 

And of course full band 'Devils & Dust' has proven to be exceptional.

Thanks @Sean McNeill.

Any particular releases (dates/venues) you have in mind, as that may help us to immediately add these versions to our playlist?

RTB from Boston 2007 and Devils & Dust from the recent St Paul 12Nov2012, I suppose?

2009-11-07, MSG 1, the only full album show of WEISS.  There are lots of special performances of Incident, there are lots of special performances of Rosie, and there are many (but fewer ;)) special performances of NYCS. But Incident into Rosie, the way God meant them to be played, with the MSG crowd, followed by a sublime NYCS, is unmatched. 

• Like 5
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Yes, 6/24/93 first 4 songs, Seeds best version ever. And I'm not an acoustic type guy. 

High praise from Jimmy :)

1 hour ago, This is The Way said:

Prove it all night, 1978 Darkness tour, any date!

For an archive release that would be a "go-to" track for Prove It, 9/30/78 Atlanta would be my pick ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, chevy396 said:

I have this from Nugs "Official Archive" (purchased fair and square) , but "Drive All Night" isn't showing up.

What version are you referring to ?

Just now, chevy396 said:

How come this isn't in the Nugs release ?

It's in the video that is in The Ties That Bind, so official, but perhaps not technically "archives. The nugs release seems to be additional tracks that were not on the video.

Stunning, isn't it?

1 hour ago, JimCT said:

It's in the video that is in The Ties That Bind, so official, but perhaps not technically "archives. The nugs release seems to be additional tracks that were not on the video.

Stunning, isn't it?

Bit of a mess IMO that the Nugs release is missing about 1/3rd of the concert :(

Lucky for us there's some decent boots about ;)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mickb said:

Bit of a mess IMO that the Nugs release is missing about 1/3rd of the concert :(

Lucky for us there's some decent boots about ;)

That show was a "must have" / top 50 of all time boot from the moment it entered trading - I got it in trade in '85. Traders know. Not surprised it ended up released years later officially. :) 

Same was true of 8/20/84. But that took me 3 1/2 years to track down. Snail mail, trying to find a trader that had that AND needed something I had - but it was worth the wait!

There was a G-Dead show that I got thru friends in '85, they'd had it long before that. Just the first set, 5/19/77 at the Fox in Atlanta - Jet to the Promised Land to open, a stunning Sugaree, my favorite first set Looks Like Rain, and wonderful Row Jimmy and Peggy-O. Fast forward to 2012 and the Dead released that show and a couple of others following it as Dick's Picks Vol. 29, their version of archive releases curated by their archivist Dick Latvala. Fans know the memorable shows. ;) 

• Love Love Love! 2

6 minutes ago, JimCT said:

That show was a "must have" / top 50 of all time boot from the moment it entered trading - I got it in trade in '85. Traders know. Not surprised it ended up released years later officially. :) 

Same was true of 8/20/84. But that took me 3 1/2 years to track down. Snail mail, trying to find a trader that had that AND needed something I had - but it was worth the wait!

There was a G-Dead show that I got thru friends in '85, they'd had it long before that. Just the first set, 5/19/77 at the Fox in Atlanta - Jet to the Promised Land to open, a stunning Sugaree, my favorite first set Looks Like Rain, and wonderful Row Jimmy and Peggy-O. Fast forward to 2012 and the Dead released that show and a couple of others following it as Dick's Picks Vol. 29, their version of archive releases curated by their archivist Dick Latvala. Fans know the memorable shows. ;) 

Is the Ev2 the best one out there Jim?

(for Tempe)