Greasy Lake Community

What would you say the best performance of BITUSA is?

3 hours ago, burgessliam22 said:

A lot of people say the LA performance from Live 1975-1985 is the best, it's really good but I think this performance from Amnesty Internation 1988 blows it out the water!

Amnesty 88 or Stockholm 88 from the versions I’ve heard.

• Like 3

Easy !

The one i got at Mt Smart stadium ! 

On the high hopes tour 

BITUSA album show 

Made all the casual fans wet their pants (maybe that was me too :lol:)

6 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Made all the casual fans wet their pants (maybe that was me too :lol:)

Ever heard the expression 'too much information'? :rolleyes:

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Ever heard the expression 'too much information'? :rolleyes:

All figuratively my hob nob loving freind :D its not like their was a lemon tree handy:ph34r:

Although serously my bladder can't handle anymore curtain raisers of the Jimmy Barnes variety (or anyone else the wanker promoter so desires )

1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Any of the first set ending renditions on the ToL tour. The frenzied drumming finale from Max and guitar wall of sound was on a whole different level. 

This.

Honourable mention to the March 2003 versions that coincided with the start of the Iraq war. 

I prefer the versions when Bruce is hollering the chorus fully  himself and not leaving it to the crowd which is what he did on the 88 Tour.The 75-85  performance is the definitive  version for  me  (studio version included).

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, greatmate said:

I prefer the versions when Bruce is hollering the chorus fully  himself and not leaving it to the crowd which is what he did on the 88 Tour.The 75-85  performance is the definitive  version for  me  (studio version included).

I get what you mean about Bruce singing the “Born in the USA” chorus which is why the East Rutherford 06/08/84 version is one of my favourites. Especially with that raucous audience stage entrance greeting. 

There are two other reasons why 84/85 could be argued as being definitive. Firstly, it was always preceded by the legendary 1,2..,1-2-3-4 count in (unlike on the ToL tour). Secondly, it was the staple show opener. For me, there has never been a better show opener, ever. It was the first song I witnessed live, and he got me from the count in of “1”. 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

A  bit pedantic I know, so don’t know if anyone can define the overall best performance, given the numbers involved.

however, the most memorable for me was St James park Newcastle in June 1985.

first song I ever heard play in person, never forget the chills and volume.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
1 hour ago, Stranger in town said:

A  bit pedantic I know, so don’t know if anyone can define the overall best performance, given the numbers involved.

I don’t think it’s that hard to get a shortlist (if not a single, subjective best performance) particularly with BITUSA.

For me:

1992/93: discounted (not ESB)

Joad: discounted (solo acoustic)

Reunion: discounted (solo acoustic)

Rising (selected summer 03 shows): discounted (solo acoustic)  

Magic: discounted (small sample size in 2008)

SOB: discounted (solo acoustic)

That’s a huge chunk of the 900+ performances out straight away. Then, when I think of my favourites (the best BITUSA tour versions, US 1988, Rising March 2003), I can’t recall anything from 2009 through 2016 that comes particularly close.

11 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

For me, there has never been a better show opener, ever. It was the first song I witnessed live, and he got me from the count in of “1”. 

Same here, but in 2008. It was so powerful hearing that intro. They did rehearse it when I was in the queue, and I got so excited when I heard that. I mean it wasn't a certainty that they would always play it in 2008 and that it would be the opener as well.