Greasy Lake Community

The Official January 20th InaugurationSetlistVision thread

I liked the Ga Ga version of the National Anthem. Can't be bothered with the full show. I imagine a lot of songs with their original meanings forgotten shoehorned into an event they really bear little relevance to and the whole thing turning into a shallow celebration of celebrity culture. I prefer the way we do it in the UK.  

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is Bruce’s performance.

Note assuming an 830pm local start for this Wednesday in Yankeeland 5.30pm out on the left coast for Ning 6.30pm in the other timezone 7.30pm in Chicago and some other places 8.30p

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, Demos said:

I liked the Ga Ga version of the National Anthem. Can't be bothered with the full show. I imagine a lot of songs with their original meanings forgotten shoehorned into an event they really bear little relevance to and the whole thing turning into a shallow celebration of celebrity culture. I prefer the way we do it in the UK.  

What, a minister who gets driven to a Royal Palace for a cup of tea and a natter with an unelected and hereditary monarch?

Hmmm.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Growin' Up said:

What, a minister who gets driven to a Royal Palace for a cup of tea and a natter with an unelected and hereditary monarch?

Hmmm.

Whatever. I just meant that mixing popular culture with government / state events always looks a bit naff to me.  Same as when people have their favourite song played at their funeral. Distracts from the gravity of the event.  It's just..well..naff. 

21 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Imaginative choice. Must still have writer's block. 

I still have very mixed feelings about the performance yesterday. Of course, to see our hero playing there makes me proud, but on the other hand I doubt in 2021 Bruce Springsteen will be as relevant in American society as he was in 2001. I hope to touch some of those doubts in another topic

Bruce_Springsteen_2021_Washington_DC_Screenshot_YouTube_Biden_Inaugural_Committee_Blog_Big-2.thumb.jpg.950022fdad75a4326fe5b6a67f093d3d.jpg

1 hour ago, el sergio said:

I still have very mixed feelings about the performance yesterday. Of course, to see our hero playing there makes me proud, but on the other hand I doubt in 2021 Bruce Springsteen will be as relevant in American society as he was in 2001. I hope to touch some of those doubts in another topic

Bruce_Springsteen_2021_Washington_DC_Screenshot_YouTube_Biden_Inaugural_Committee_Blog_Big-2.thumb.jpg.950022fdad75a4326fe5b6a67f093d3d.jpg

Apparently Bruce gets a free pass for not wearing a mask on federal property

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

Apparently Bruce gets a free pass for not wearing a mask on federal property

Yo, doc...performances and speeches are exempt from the mandate. None of the people speaking or performing at the inaugural wore masks during their speeches or performances. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Patti has been a bit brutal on him with the hair clippers hasn't she?

Yes !

Its winter

He'll catch a chill 

2 hours ago, el sergio said:

He'll always be relevant to me

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Growin' Up said:

Hmmm.

Are you referencing the UK's PM's weekly audiences with HM ?

I think all MPs have referenced at some points the positives of those meetings, a sounding board with a lifetime of diplomatic experience with 100% confidentially guarented 

And US presidents lap up the regal treatment when they go on state visits to the UK 

Meanwhile our PM is wetting her pants in anticipation of an invitation to the white house

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

Bruce is very relevant.  It amazes me how many young people know about him now and think very highly of him.

If he was a NZer we would label him a national treasure 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
6 hours ago, Demos said:

Whatever. I just meant that mixing popular culture with government / state events always looks a bit naff to me.  Same as when people have their favourite song played at their funeral. Distracts from the gravity of the event.  It's just..well..naff. 

Is that you mum ?

;)

9 hours ago, Demos said:

I enjoyed yesterday very much (well actually not Gaga but whatever :lol:)

Whispering very quietly so our Americian freinds dont hear

But im not trading in what we have for that circus every 4 years 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, BruceWho said:

Ha! yeah - AND he's found the bloody bottle of hair dye at the back of the cupboard and gone overboard! - looks ridiculous - the way he had it of late (and in the documentary) with grey coming thru was FAR better! 

I thought it was the lighting 

10 hours ago, muscum said:

Anyone else reminded of Willie Nelson's voice on that one?

Yes, but that's not at all a bad thing

47 minutes ago, JustDan said:

Yo, doc...performances and speeches are exempt from the mandate. None of the people speaking or performing at the inaugural wore masks during their speeches or performances. 

Because coronavirus can distinguish between performers and regular people.  Trust in the science.

• Bruuuuce! 1
  • Sad 2
2 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

Because coronavirus can distinguish between performers and regular people.  Trust in the science.

I did notice how 44,43 and 42 maintained social distancing durring the prefilmed segment in the inauguration concert 

• Like 1