Greasy Lake Community

To Horn Or Not To Horn

Was listening to the new St. Paul 12 show and heard Murder Inc. with full horn section going. NO....

Some tunes shouldn't ever have horns and some tunes that originally didn't have Horns sound great with the Horns. Please list one of each. 

No Horns ever: Adam Raised a Cain               

Tune that sounds great with Horns: Johnny 99. 

• Like 2

Not a horn fan 

Clarence or no one 

I know it took a village to stand in for the Big man so it was kinda fun/ kinda sad in 2012

And I do like the trumpet in Wrecking ball

But I'll take Soozie's violins over the horns any day

Definatly no horns on Adam !

Horns dull down all the raw angry emotion 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Was listening to the new St. Paul 12 show and heard Murder Inc. with full horn section going. NO....

Some tunes shouldn't ever have horns and some tunes that originally didn't have Horns sound great with the Horns. Please list one of each. 

No Horns ever: Adam Raised a Cain               

Tune that sounds great with Horns: Johnny 99. 

I’d prefer Adam Raised a Cain without vocals.

4 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

Horns were great during the Tunnel of Love tour and the Wrecking Ball tour.

Didn't go to a TOL show or don't have a archive show. With horns on Adam and Roulette kind of ruin it for me.

I love the Horns on the Wrecking Ball tour, shouldn't be used on some tunes. Murder Inc. Didn't use the horns on Adam or Roulette on this tour.

43 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Didn't go to a TOL show or don't have a archive show. With horns on Adam and Roulette kind of ruin it for me.

I love the Horns on the Wrecking Ball tour, shouldn't be used on some tunes. Murder Inc. Didn't use the horns on Adam or Roulette on this tour.

I just checked out the Intro to Murder Inc.....Its never been one of my favorites ....but if it were ....i would not like what the horns did to the intro either.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

No no no no no no no  horns on roulette 

That's a crime 

I'd love to see the horn section at every show.

Highlights.

-Solo trumpet on the early versions of Something In The Night.

-The horns on the live version of TOL from Stockholm '88 (though, not the crappy Altschiller mix)

-Horn coda on Long Time Coming, SSB version.

-Curt's trumpet playing on the live version of The Wall

-Any version of Higher And Higher. 

-The stunning new arrangements of Devils And Dust and Stolen Car that beautifully incorporate the horns, on the latest archive release from St Paul.

• Like 2

I was at the Tunnel shows in 88, Hungry Heart was definitely benefitting from the horns, especially coming right after the acoustic Born To Run (1st encore). Both songs also contrast each other lyrically in 88: Born was deliberately slowed down, the man was coming home whereas Hungry was playing the wild flipside about the man never stop looking and leaving his home, his family, and his life in one fell swoop ...

41 minutes ago, zzcoolness said:

@Jimmy James does Open all Night count as remake with SSB? Don't get me wrong I LOVE the Nebraska version burn from 8/6/84 that's is absolutely freaking awesome.

I'd go so far as saying its one of the best things to come out of the SS

And i love the original

What does @Early North Jersey think ?

9 hours ago, zzcoolness said:

@Jimmy James does Open all Night count as remake with SSB? Don't get me wrong I LOVE the Nebraska version burn from 8/6/84 that's is absolutely freaking awesome.

Open All Night was played with the ESB with horns during the Wrecking Ball/High Hopes Tour also. But yes it qualifies! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Open All Night was played with the ESB with horns during the Wrecking Ball/High Hopes Tour also. But yes it qualifies! 

I totally forgot that it was played on wb tour!

• Like 1