Greasy Lake Community

RIP Hammering Hank

am i right in saying he has statues outside 2 of the 3 baseball stadiums in Hotlanta  as the city of atlanta refused to move the original to cobb county?

11 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Agreed about the HR record! 

After all the pitchers we lost last year, should be a HR hitter now! 

I was thinking of Seaver, Niekro, Gibson etc. sitting around saying "man I wish we had somebody to pitch to" and then saying "oh shit, not him."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

I was thinking of Seaver, Niekro, Gibson etc. sitting around saying "man I wish we had somebody to pitch to" and then saying "oh shit, not him."

I'm guessing one of the happiest days for Niekro and Gibson (Seaver was too young) was the day Frank Robinson got traded to Baltimore. :D 

12 minutes ago, JimCT said:

I'm guessing one of the happiest days for Niekro and Gibson (Seaver was too young) was the day Frank Robinson got traded to Baltimore. :D 

In the book “Sixty Feet, Six Inches,” Gibson said, “Frank Robinson might have been the best I ever saw at turning his anger into runs. He challenged you physically as soon as he stepped into the batter’s box, with half his body hanging over the plate.

“His fearlessness played a tremendous part in making him the hitter he was. He practically dared you to clip him or knock him down and, when you did, he’d use it as intensity. He seemed to gain strength from it. If you couldn’t drive him off the plate _ and you couldn’t _ then you couldn’t take away his outside corner.

“As a rule, I’m reluctant to express admiration for hitters, but I make an exception for Frank Robinson.”

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

In the book “Sixty Feet, Six Inches,” Gibson said, “Frank Robinson might have been the best I ever saw at turning his anger into runs. He challenged you physically as soon as he stepped into the batter’s box, with half his body hanging over the plate.

“His fearlessness played a tremendous part in making him the hitter he was. He practically dared you to clip him or knock him down and, when you did, he’d use it as intensity. He seemed to gain strength from it. If you couldn’t drive him off the plate _ and you couldn’t _ then you couldn’t take away his outside corner.

“As a rule, I’m reluctant to express admiration for hitters, but I make an exception for Frank Robinson.”

As a kid I read Gibson's book From Ghetto to Glory.  There was a chapter where he described some of the hitters of the day and his approach to each of them and I swear it seemed like every one of them began with "I don't have much trouble with [insert name - McCovey, Aaron, etc.]..." then he would talk about how he pitched them and what the danger areas to avoid were.  I remember thinking "damn, this is one confident dude."  And the more I learned about him I realized he had good reason.

• Like 3

I always read these threads even when i don't know of the player

86 is a good innings

Thank's for posting @JimCT

RIP Hank and my condolences to his fans

4 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

@Daisey Jeep, all these names you hear on these types of threads are our Childhood hero's and Jim's young 20's hero's:P

That's why i read them :wub:

I can tell these are your Richard Hadlees and Colin Meads 

I remember listening to the radio when the Pirates played the Braves.  Once the game would get to about the 7th or 8th the announcers for the Pirates would start talking about how it was important to get a 1-2-3 inning or how many batters it would be before he came up.  I can't remember how much success he had against the Pirates but they were always aware/fearful of what he could do.

@JimCT off topic but since you posted about the Grateful Dead, my first and only time that I saw them was "the rain show".  I was under an overhang so I stayed dry.

18 minutes ago, burghfan said:

I remember listening to the radio when the Pirates played the Braves.  Once the game would get to about the 7th or 8th the announcers for the Pirates would start talking about how it was important to get a 1-2-3 inning or how many batters it would be before he came up.  I can't remember how much success he had against the Pirates but they were always aware/fearful of what he could do.

@JimCT off topic but since you posted about the Grateful Dead, my first and only time that I saw them was "the rain show".  I was under an overhang so I stayed dry.

Date?

12 hours ago, JudgeBrown said:

Looking at the pics of him hitting, I realized one thing that won’t be in his HOF exhibit ... batting gloves ;)